My Documents, My Network Places and My Computer desktop ic..

Hello,

I setup 2 Windows XP Pro PC's just networked to each other. I have now
added them to our network in a domain environment and will be used by
different accounts. No matter what account I log into I am missing the My
Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places icons on the desktop. I know
how to add them in by doing a right click on the desktop, properties,
Desktop, Customize Desktop.

This works great for the individual that has logged on and set it but is
not a global setting so that anyone that logs onto the PC has the icons. Is
there a way to globally set this so that everyone gets the icons when they
log on ?

I'm not sure if it had something to do with not setting the PC's up
originally to join our Domain network environment.

Thanks,
Kurt ...
3 answers Last reply
More about documents network places computer desktop

    How to create a custom default user profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "MorinK" <MorinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I setup 2 Windows XP Pro PC's just networked to each other. I have now
    > added them to our network in a domain environment and will be used by
    > different accounts. No matter what account I log into I am missing the My
    > Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places icons on the desktop. I
    > know
    > how to add them in by doing a right click on the desktop, properties,
    > Desktop, Customize Desktop.
    >
    > This works great for the individual that has logged on and set it but is
    > not a global setting so that anyone that logs onto the PC has the icons.
    > Is
    > there a way to globally set this so that everyone gets the icons when they
    > log on ?
    >
    > I'm not sure if it had something to do with not setting the PC's up
    > originally to join our Domain network environment.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kurt ...

    Ramesh,

    Thanks for the information. I used the "How to create a custom default
    user profile: and it worked great.

    Thanks,
    Kurt ...

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > How to create a custom default user profile:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "MorinK" <MorinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I setup 2 Windows XP Pro PC's just networked to each other. I have now
    > > added them to our network in a domain environment and will be used by
    > > different accounts. No matter what account I log into I am missing the My
    > > Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places icons on the desktop. I
    > > know
    > > how to add them in by doing a right click on the desktop, properties,
    > > Desktop, Customize Desktop.
    > >
    > > This works great for the individual that has logged on and set it but is
    > > not a global setting so that anyone that logs onto the PC has the icons.
    > > Is
    > > there a way to globally set this so that everyone gets the icons when they
    > > log on ?
    > >
    > > I'm not sure if it had something to do with not setting the PC's up
    > > originally to join our Domain network environment.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Kurt ...

    You're welcome Kurt.

    --

    > Ramesh,
    >
    > Thanks for the information. I used the "How to create a custom default
    > user profile: and it worked great.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kurt ...
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> How to create a custom default user profile:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    <snip>

Desktops My Documents Computers Windows XP