My Documents, My Network Places and My Computer desktop ic..

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • My Documents
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
July 7, 2005 7:51:02 AM

Hello,

I setup 2 Windows XP Pro PC's just networked to each other. I have now
added them to our network in a domain environment and will be used by
different accounts. No matter what account I log into I am missing the My
Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places icons on the desktop. I know
how to add them in by doing a right click on the desktop, properties,
Desktop, Customize Desktop.

This works great for the individual that has logged on and set it but is
not a global setting so that anyone that logs onto the PC has the icons. Is
there a way to globally set this so that everyone gets the icons when they
log on ?

I'm not sure if it had something to do with not setting the PC's up
originally to join our Domain network environment.

Thanks,
Kurt ...

More about : documents network places computer desktop

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:35:31 PM

How to create a custom default user profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"MorinK" <MorinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I setup 2 Windows XP Pro PC's just networked to each other. I have now
> added them to our network in a domain environment and will be used by
> different accounts. No matter what account I log into I am missing the My
> Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places icons on the desktop. I
> know
> how to add them in by doing a right click on the desktop, properties,
> Desktop, Customize Desktop.
>
> This works great for the individual that has logged on and set it but is
> not a global setting so that anyone that logs onto the PC has the icons.
> Is
> there a way to globally set this so that everyone gets the icons when they
> log on ?
>
> I'm not sure if it had something to do with not setting the PC's up
> originally to join our Domain network environment.
>
> Thanks,
> Kurt ...
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:35:32 PM

Ramesh,

Thanks for the information. I used the "How to create a custom default
user profile: and it worked great.

Thanks,
Kurt ...

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> How to create a custom default user profile:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "MorinK" <MorinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I setup 2 Windows XP Pro PC's just networked to each other. I have now
> > added them to our network in a domain environment and will be used by
> > different accounts. No matter what account I log into I am missing the My
> > Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places icons on the desktop. I
> > know
> > how to add them in by doing a right click on the desktop, properties,
> > Desktop, Customize Desktop.
> >
> > This works great for the individual that has logged on and set it but is
> > not a global setting so that anyone that logs onto the PC has the icons.
> > Is
> > there a way to globally set this so that everyone gets the icons when they
> > log on ?
> >
> > I'm not sure if it had something to do with not setting the PC's up
> > originally to join our Domain network environment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kurt ...

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:16:10 PM

You're welcome Kurt.

--

> Ramesh,
>
> Thanks for the information. I used the "How to create a custom default
> user profile: and it worked great.
>
> Thanks,
> Kurt ...
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> How to create a custom default user profile:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User