XP is SO SO Slow!! Help!!

Hi,

Just bought new Dell with XP home. Every program I run on it, even Internet
Explorer is slow "to react". What I mean is that when I click a button to
either open a
program or click a button in the toolbar of an already open program, it
seems XP has
a long pause to think things over, with no apparent disk activity during the
pause, which is usually about 15/20 seconds. Extremely annoying!

I posted this message last week and people made a few suggestions about me
getting more memory or having unnecessary programs running etc. However, I
have loads of memory on the machine (512) and have disabled all unnecessary
programs in Startup.

Can anyone offer an explanation or more hopefully a solution (apart from my
going back to my old machine running Windows 98, 64k memory with no delays
whatsoever)?

Thanks,

JR
5 answers Last reply
More about slow help

    You should use Taskmgr, Processes (TAB) and add a few columns
    to watch your system. From your description, it sounds like Priority
    or CPU Usage that is causing the lag. This assumes that you've done
    normal operations to eliminate Malware/Viruses/Trojans.
    Along with normal data fields - I would add/monitor the following:
    Mem Usage
    Peak Mem Usage
    CPU Time
    Handles
    Base Priority
    and possibly I/O Writes to monitor disk activity.
    Once TaskMgr is open & set to Processes (Tab), Click View,
    Select Columns. After you get the fields set, you might slide their
    headings next to each other to make viewing/monitoring easier.

    "JR" <NOSPAMNOSPAM-js@trc.ie-NOSPAMNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just bought new Dell with XP home. Every program I run on it, even
    > Internet
    > Explorer is slow "to react". What I mean is that when I click a button to
    > either open a
    > program or click a button in the toolbar of an already open program, it
    > seems XP has
    > a long pause to think things over, with no apparent disk activity during
    > the
    > pause, which is usually about 15/20 seconds. Extremely annoying!
    >
    > I posted this message last week and people made a few suggestions about me
    > getting more memory or having unnecessary programs running etc. However, I
    > have loads of memory on the machine (512) and have disabled all
    > unnecessary programs in Startup.
    >
    > Can anyone offer an explanation or more hopefully a solution (apart from
    > my
    > going back to my old machine running Windows 98, 64k memory with no delays
    > whatsoever)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JR

    as this is a new machine from dell I would suggest that you speak to dell and
    let them resolve your issues
    --
    there are no problems, just challenges

    "JR" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just bought new Dell with XP home. Every program I run on it, even Internet
    > Explorer is slow "to react". What I mean is that when I click a button to
    > either open a
    > program or click a button in the toolbar of an already open program, it
    > seems XP has
    > a long pause to think things over, with no apparent disk activity during the
    > pause, which is usually about 15/20 seconds. Extremely annoying!
    >
    > I posted this message last week and people made a few suggestions about me
    > getting more memory or having unnecessary programs running etc. However, I
    > have loads of memory on the machine (512) and have disabled all unnecessary
    > programs in Startup.
    >
    > Can anyone offer an explanation or more hopefully a solution (apart from my
    > going back to my old machine running Windows 98, 64k memory with no delays
    > whatsoever)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JR

    "JR" <NOSPAMNOSPAM-js@trc.ie-NOSPAMNOSPAM> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | Just bought new Dell with XP home. Every program I run on it, even
    Internet
    | Explorer is slow "to react". What I mean is that when I click a button to
    | either open a
    | program or click a button in the toolbar of an already open program, it
    | seems XP has
    | a long pause to think things over, with no apparent disk activity during
    the
    | pause, which is usually about 15/20 seconds. Extremely annoying!
    |
    | I posted this message last week and people made a few suggestions about me
    | getting more memory or having unnecessary programs running etc. However, I
    | have loads of memory on the machine (512) and have disabled all
    unnecessary
    | programs in Startup.
    |
    | Can anyone offer an explanation or more hopefully a solution (apart from
    my
    | going back to my old machine running Windows 98, 64k memory with no delays
    | whatsoever)?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | JR

    As there is no telling what a user may have done or allowed to be installed
    to a system after opening the box that could cause these types of problems
    it is difficult to say if this is a "user created" problem or a problem with
    the computer itself.

    New Dell computers come with a restore partition and utility that will put
    the computer back to a "factory fresh" state with little hassle. I suggest
    you make use of it.

    (here's how
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151 )

    -- same link shorter --

    http://tinyurl.com/4ctq4

    After restoring the computer and before going online or making any changes
    or adding any software evaluate the machines functionality. If it continues
    to have problems I would seriously consider returning it (provided you are
    still in the "no questions asked" return period that Dell provides) as this
    would indicate a problem with the computer itself. No point in starting out
    with a lemon if the option to return it exists.

    If the computer performs well after restoration take a look at your
    computing and online habits to try and figure out what caused the problem.

    I have several Dell computers with Windows XP and they have all performed
    well "out of the box."

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    i have a dell as well, and as with most computers you need to make a few
    tweaks here and there, as well as performing maintenance to insure the
    computer continues to run properly. as has been mentioned already, it is
    important that you do the following:
    1.insure that malware/spyware/adware is not installed, this will for sure
    slow your system down.
    2.make sure that unnecessary programs are not in the startup.
    3.make sure that unnecessary services are not running on startup.
    4.make sure that temp files/cookies are deleted
    5.make sure to run the defrag program.
    6.by default winxp places regularly used programs at the head of the hard
    drive every 3 days, but you can do this yourself by going to the command
    prompt and typing the following: defrag c: -b (supposedly this does the same
    thing as the bootvis program but i have found bootvis to shave more time off
    of the startup time)
    7.change your boot.ini file, in msconfig, by checking, "noguiboot" and
    chaginging "time out" to 3 or 5 seconds.

    all of these recommendations can be found by googling, hope this helps.
    River~

    "JR" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just bought new Dell with XP home. Every program I run on it, even Internet
    > Explorer is slow "to react". What I mean is that when I click a button to
    > either open a
    > program or click a button in the toolbar of an already open program, it
    > seems XP has
    > a long pause to think things over, with no apparent disk activity during the
    > pause, which is usually about 15/20 seconds. Extremely annoying!
    >
    > I posted this message last week and people made a few suggestions about me
    > getting more memory or having unnecessary programs running etc. However, I
    > have loads of memory on the machine (512) and have disabled all unnecessary
    > programs in Startup.
    >
    > Can anyone offer an explanation or more hopefully a solution (apart from my
    > going back to my old machine running Windows 98, 64k memory with no delays
    > whatsoever)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JR

    I am not qualified to give advice. But my limited knowledge screams SPYWARE
    or VIRUS any time I hear about a slow machine, new or not.
    Do an internet search and download Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware.
    Update the programs after install and check system.
    Gary Moore

Windows XP Microsoft Memory