palm os basics

September 12, 2004 9:22:02 PM

I am pretty good on PC but new to Palm OS...
Working on a highly structured contact manager solution.
Is it true that I should be able to set up test runs on say, a T3 and safely
assume that what you make work on that T3 will work the same on my client's
Treo 600?

I guess what I'm asking is, is the Palm OS the same OS across all their
devices? Can I expect an app that will run on one Palm to run on any Palm?

thanks folks

More about : palm basics

September 12, 2004 9:22:03 PM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:22:02 GMT, "s" <s@s.com> professed the
following:

>I am pretty good on PC but new to Palm OS...
>Working on a highly structured contact manager solution.
>Is it true that I should be able to set up test runs on say, a T3 and safely
>assume that what you make work on that T3 will work the same on my client's
>Treo 600?
>
>I guess what I'm asking is, is the Palm OS the same OS across all their
>devices? Can I expect an app that will run on one Palm to run on any Palm?
>
>thanks folks

Short answer? No. Palm OS is typically customised for each different
model of handheld.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous

If you use the basic system calls the app will be portable. If you start
doing something fancy then the different hardware may make a difference
just like with any other OS.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:33:14 -0400, Bruno <insert@address.here>
professed the following:

>On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:22:02 GMT, "s" <s@s.com> professed the
>following:
>
>>I am pretty good on PC but new to Palm OS...
>>Working on a highly structured contact manager solution.
>>Is it true that I should be able to set up test runs on say, a T3 and safely
>>assume that what you make work on that T3 will work the same on my client's
>>Treo 600?
>>
>>I guess what I'm asking is, is the Palm OS the same OS across all their
>>devices? Can I expect an app that will run on one Palm to run on any Palm?
>>
>>thanks folks
>>

>Short answer? No. Palm OS is typically customised for each different
>model of handheld.

Kinda like developing in Java, isn't it?

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
September 12, 2004 10:33:13 PM

Lol yuppers.

There's no "there" there.

It's like rotten plywood on a boat- looks ok but push on it and you poke a
hole.

Is Pocket PC any better?

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:33:14 -0400, Bruno <insert@address.here>
> professed the following:
>
> >On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:22:02 GMT, "s" <s@s.com> professed the
> >following:
> >
> >>I am pretty good on PC but new to Palm OS...
> >>Working on a highly structured contact manager solution.
> >>Is it true that I should be able to set up test runs on say, a T3 and
safely
> >>assume that what you make work on that T3 will work the same on my
client's
> >>Treo 600?
> >>
> >>I guess what I'm asking is, is the Palm OS the same OS across all their
> >>devices? Can I expect an app that will run on one Palm to run on any
Palm?

> >>thanks folks
> >>

> >Short answer? No. Palm OS is typically customised for each different
> >model of handheld.
>
> Kinda like developing in Java, isn't it?
>
> --
> Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 10:36:29 PM

In article <10k9o0vt294g861@corp.supernews.com>, Dale DePriest
<Dale@gpsinformation.het> wrote:

> If you use the basic system calls the app will be portable. If you start
> doing something fancy then the different hardware may make a difference
> just like with any other OS.
>
> Dale
>
> s wrote:
>
> > I am pretty good on PC but new to Palm OS...
> > Working on a highly structured contact manager solution.
> > Is it true that I should be able to set up test runs on say, a T3 and safely
> > assume that what you make work on that T3 will work the same on my client's
> > Treo 600?
> >
> > I guess what I'm asking is, is the Palm OS the same OS across all their
> > devices? Can I expect an app that will run on one Palm to run on any Palm?
> >
> > thanks folks

Agree. Most Palm apps will work across PalmOS' if they are written to
"behave properly." The licensees are free to tweak the OS to their needs
but they also have a desire to make their devices work with as many
applications as possible.

Consider joining PalmSource's developer program for help.
www.palmsource.com/developers
!