Your help please: Catching up after 10 years

Hi all,
About 10 years ago a friend and I solved our last game (Ooze - Creepy
Nights: bug-infested but great fun). Since then we haven´t followed IF
as much as we would like.
We like to start playing again but after surfing through the numerous
sites, comps and zines I don´t have a clue which game to pick. I
really want the first game to be that gem that sparks our addiction to
IF again. The Comp winners might be a good start, but is there any
game in particular you would recommend?
Here is a list of criteria, but we´re pretty flexible :)
1. Good logic puzzles are essential; puzzle based, rather than story
based
2. Preferrably no Fantasy/Magic
3. Can be finished in 6-8 hours
4. platform doesn´t matter
5. we play both simultaneous and make it a little competitive, so a
static storyline is necessary to compare progress

(I really liked: Witness, Suspect, Ooze, Corruption)

Thanks for your wise advise.

It´s a pleasure to see that this scene is so much alive these days.
Happy to be back!

Peter

I'm sorry but your membership has expired. You are ineligible to
play, download, or discuss interactive fiction at this time.

In article <e613c1b9.0410240646.67ee1d9f@posting.google.com>,
PeterVR <petervr@gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
>IF again. The Comp winners might be a good start, but is there any
>game in particular you would recommend?
>Here is a list of criteria, but we´re pretty flexible :)
>1. Good logic puzzles are essential; puzzle based, rather than story
>based
>2. Preferrably no Fantasy/Magic
>3. Can be finished in 6-8 hours
>4. platform doesn´t matter
>5. we play both simultaneous and make it a little competitive, so a
>static storyline is necessary to compare progress
>
>(I really liked: Witness, Suspect, Ooze, Corruption)

I would suggest you go to the IF scoreboard and look there:
http://www.carouselchain.com/if/statistics.php
It sounds like you'd be particularly interested in the Puzzlefest and
Mystery genres. Some of those are games with fantasy elements, but if
you click on the comments link for the specific game it'll tell you
what other genres it falls under, and what the playtime is like.
I would particularly note Christminster, The Plant, and First Things First
as likely to be of interest to you. If you're willing to handle
a Zorkian setting, Spiritwrak would also be a good choice as it has
lots of pure-logic puzzles (this is pretty rare in modern IF).

--
Dan Shiovitz :: dbs@cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and