Please help backed up my data to another internal drive now its missin

Jeremey-san

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Sorry it should say missing in the title but it wouldnt fit.

Im really freaking out right now so i hope someone can help me heres the situation:

I got a new SSD drive so in installed it into my computer and unplugged my other 2 internal drivers one with Windows and the other with Files on it, so i installed windows 8 fine so i shut down and disconnected the SSD just to be safe and unplugged my other two back in so i can copy all my data off my Win 7 to my Files drive. So i copied all my data (600gb) to my other internal drive into a folder called [backup] so when i was done i shut down and unplugged my Win 7 drive booted into my win 8 drive and was going to copy all my data back over but the folder [backup] isnt on my other drive! its gone, but it says the space is still used up on the drive it used to have 1.7ishTB free now its only showing 900ish GB free but i cannot see any of those files. Im freaking out because its everything i own and cannot loose these. How can i get access to my files? I tried searching on the drive for the files because i know some names but nothing came up, i even made it show hidden files and everything. I tried booting back to my win 7 drive to see if they show up there but they are still now showing up either. I know when i restarted it and booted it asked to do a check disk on all my drives but i skipped it to make sure it didnt mess anything up but i just retried it on that drive with my files and it started saying "deleting index xxxxxx.file" scrolling really fast so i restarted really quick.

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please tell me i can get my files im so upset right now :(.

notredame1250

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
try downloading and install Recuva (download) on your ssd and use it to search for all files the drive you used for backup. The program is free and is used to recover files that were deleted or lost. I haven't run it on windows 8 but I don't seen any seen why it shouldn't work.

I have had this problem before, its a real pain.

Jeremey-san

Honorable
May 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply! But im not missing anything from the SSD let me try to explain better:

I used to have two internal: A) C:\ which is a 1TB HDD for windows and stuff and B) G:\ 3TB HDD for video files/games/music. So i bought a 3rd drive a 240GB SSD to install Windows 8 on and planned to move all my files from my C:\ to my G:\ until i could format the C:\, so i moved them over to the G:\ and once the C:\ drive was empy of personal files(still had windows installed and programs) i restartred into my SSD windows 8 to format my C:\ and then copy my files from G:\ to the C:\ but the newly add files to the G:\ drive arent visable but the older TV shows and movies i had from before are still there.

If that makes any sense.

notredame1250

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
The reason you should install the program on the ssd is because you just need the program installed and usually you don't want to add files or programs to a drive if files are missing from it that you want to recover. The only reason i said the ssd is because thats not were you have missing files. Basically just needs to be installed and not on the drive with the files you are trying to recover.

This is what i did when i had what i think is the same problem.

So basically just install that program and then run it. When you run the program it will ask type of files choose "other" which will show all files. Click Next which asks you where to look. go to browse and just type in "G:\backup" or wherever the folder was saved. if that returns no results or cant find folder just enter "G:\" and see if that shows any results that would be the files your missing.