could anyone please tell me why my system idle process in task manager runs
on 16k mem but 75 - 98 cpu usage, it's slowing the whole machine down, should
iexplorer and winexplorer be running high be a result? cos they do....

please help it's doing my head in

thanks

"the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| could anyone please tell me why my system idle process in task manager
runs
| on 16k mem but 75 - 98 cpu usage, it's slowing the whole machine down,
should
| iexplorer and winexplorer be running high be a result? cos they do....
|
| please help it's doing my head in
|
| thanks

Idle: Noun, Not in use or operation... Synonym, inactive...

System Idle Process is the percentage of your processor free and waiting for
something to do.

If the computer is not busy it should be nearing 100% as yours is.

If your computer is performing poorly this is not the cause.

See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

(courtesy of J. Jones MS MVP)

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thank you very much, yes i did misunderstand, i've scaned with spy bot and
adaware se and neither found anything, but explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe
both run really high and very slowly.

"HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

> "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | could anyone please tell me why my system idle process in task manager
> runs
> | on 16k mem but 75 - 98 cpu usage, it's slowing the whole machine down,
> should
> | iexplorer and winexplorer be running high be a result? cos they do....
> |
> | please help it's doing my head in
> |
> | thanks
>
> Idle: Noun, Not in use or operation... Synonym, inactive...
>
> System Idle Process is the percentage of your processor free and waiting for
> something to do.
>
> If the computer is not busy it should be nearing 100% as yours is.
>
> If your computer is performing poorly this is not the cause.
>
> See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
>
> (courtesy of J. Jones MS MVP)
>
> --
> Doug
>
> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

"the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> could anyone please tell me why my system idle process in task manager
runs
> on 16k mem but 75 - 98 cpu usage, it's slowing the whole machine down,
should
> iexplorer and winexplorer be running high be a result? cos they do....
>
> please help it's doing my head in

I think you missunderstand...

The processor exectutes the System idle process when it has nothing else to
do. If you exit all applications and background tasks the CPU has very
little to do so it executes the system idle process about 95-98% of the
time.

The system idle process isn't slowing down your system. If your PC i's slow
then the fault is elsewhere.

Try running scans for adware/spyware.

"CWatters" wrote:

> "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > could anyone please tell me why my system idle process in task manager
> runs
> > on 16k mem but 75 - 98 cpu usage, it's slowing the whole machine down,
> should
> > iexplorer and winexplorer be running high be a result? cos they do....
> >
> > please help it's doing my head in
> >

> I think you missunderstand...
>
> The processor exectutes the System idle process when it has nothing else to
> do. If you exit all applications and background tasks the CPU has very
> little to do so it executes the system idle process about 95-98% of the
> time.
>
> The system idle process isn't slowing down your system. If your PC i's slow
> then the fault is elsewhere.
>
> Try running scans for adware/spyware.

Run slowly compared to what/when?

Have you tried the normal routine maintenance items - checked your disk for
file errors or tried a defragment? Emptied out temporary directories?
How much of your hard disk is free space?

> Thank you very much, yes i did misunderstand, i've scaned with spy bot and
> adaware se and neither found anything, but explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe
> both run really high and very slowly.
>
> "CWatters" wrote:
>

>> "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > could anyone please tell me why my system idle process in task manager
>> runs
>> > on 16k mem but 75 - 98 cpu usage, it's slowing the whole machine down,
>> should
>> > iexplorer and winexplorer be running high be a result? cos they do....
>> >
>> > please help it's doing my head in
>> >

>> I think you missunderstand...
>>
>> The processor exectutes the System idle process when it has nothing else
>> do. If you exit all applications and background tasks the CPU has very
>> little to do so it executes the system idle process about 95-98% of the
>> time.
>>
>> The system idle process isn't slowing down your system. If your PC i's
>> slow
>> then the fault is elsewhere.
>>
>> Try running scans for adware/spyware.

Just in the past few weeks its slowed noticably and i can't figure it out.
unfortunatly i've tried both, Last year a added two more hard drives a raid
160Gb and a sata 200Gb i run the windows on the original 120Gb raid and its
got 98.8Gb free

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> Run slowly compared to what/when?
>
> Have you tried the normal routine maintenance items - checked your disk for
> file errors or tried a defragment? Emptied out temporary directories?
> How much of your hard disk is free space?
>
> "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you very much, yes i did misunderstand, i've scaned with spy bot and
> > adaware se and neither found anything, but explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe
> > both run really high and very slowly.
> >
> > "CWatters" wrote:
> >

> >> "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> runs
> >> should

> >> I think you missunderstand...
> >>
> >> The processor exectutes the System idle process when it has nothing else
> >> do. If you exit all applications and background tasks the CPU has very
> >> little to do so it executes the system idle process about 95-98% of the
> >> time.
> >>
> >> The system idle process isn't slowing down your system. If your PC i's
> >> slow
> >> then the fault is elsewhere.
> >>
> >> Try running scans for adware/spyware.

Speed is hard to subjectively determine. For general benchmarking,
I'd go over to PCPitStop and run their tests. It compares your PC
with comparable models to give you a rating. It will provide some
info on any areas of the PC that aren't up to expected values. They
also have a forum for people to post results and seek assistance.
Sign up is suggested, but you can run the test Anonymously.

The test page is located here:
http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

> Thank you very much, yes i did misunderstand, i've scaned with spy bot and
> adaware se and neither found anything, but explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe
> both run really high and very slowly.

Perhaps try Microsofts free antispyware program as well. Seems ok.