Ctrl-Alt-Del to login

How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the Ctrl-Alt-Del login
banner instead of the Fast Switching login?

Thanks in advance.
18 answers Last reply
More about ctrl login

    In the Users section on Control Panel, turn off "use welcome
    screen."

    some support

    "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    | How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the
    Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    | banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    |
    | Thanks in advance.

    Thank you.

    I'm sure this will lead me to the right result.

    I'm not going to answer to David Candy's post. He is so arrogant.

    I did a search in Help & Support with "ctrl-alt-del to login". It gave me
    the following result (0):
    Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for ctrl-alt-del to login.

    Again, thanks.

    > In the Users section on Control Panel, turn off "use welcome
    > screen."

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > | How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    > | banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance.

    That's because there is no such key sequence as ctrl-alt-del.

    The key sequence is ctrl+alt+delete.

    Search for ctrl+alt+delete to login in Help and Support.

    How To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence for Logging On in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308226

    How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291559

    How To Use the Fast User Switching Feature in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:HAdze.1314$ER6.1256@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
    C C <someone@sbcglobal.net> hunted and pecked:

    C C wrote:
    > How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    > banner instead of the Fast Switching login?

    Join a domain :)

    Alternatively:

    Disable the Welcome screen as Jim Macklin says.

    Then:

    Start -> Run -> secpol.msc

    Local Policies -> Security Options

    Set "Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL-ALT-DEL" to Disabled.

    JS wrote:
    > C C wrote:
    >
    >> How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    >> banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    >

    > Join a domain :)
    >
    > Alternatively:
    >
    > Disable the Welcome screen as Jim Macklin says.
    >
    > Then:
    >
    > Start -> Run -> secpol.msc
    >
    > Local Policies -> Security Options
    >
    > Set "Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL-ALT-DEL" to Disabled.

    Sorry, do you have Home or Pro? I don't believe the above is possible in
    XPHE.

    I have a brand new Dell Laptop with XP Pro SP2. After the setup, I can't
    figure out how to enable the Login screen that I am used to my XP Pro at
    work.

    "JS" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > JS wrote:
    > > C C wrote:
    > >
    > >> How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the Ctrl-Alt-Del
    login
    > >> banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    > >

    > > Join a domain :)
    > >
    > > Alternatively:
    > >
    > > Disable the Welcome screen as Jim Macklin says.
    > >
    > > Then:
    > >
    > > Start -> Run -> secpol.msc
    > >
    > > Local Policies -> Security Options
    > >
    > > Set "Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL-ALT-DEL" to Disabled.
    >
    > Sorry, do you have Home or Pro? I don't believe the above is possible in
    > XPHE.

    What did help say. Don't bother answering because I know.

    "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:2gbze.1217$ER6.194@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
    > How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    > banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    David come on now. You have provided much useful information don't answer
    such a query like that. It's a simple question and not one that calls for a
    reminder. If you know say so if you don't say so.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    ----------------------
    "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    > banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It's a good answer. I cut and pasted their terms from their post into help. It comes up with a somewhat more relevent article than you did.

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OspUARxgFHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > David come on now. You have provided much useful information don't answer
    > such a query like that. It's a simple question and not one that calls for a
    > reminder. If you know say so if you don't say so.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > What did help say. Don't bother answering because I know.

    > ----------------------
    > "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    >> banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    That's only 1/2 the answer. Maybe you should follow my advice before trying to correct my post. You are wrong and I am right.

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:uvl%23lWxgFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > In the Users section on Control Panel, turn off "use welcome
    > screen."

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > | How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    > | banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance.

    Moron there are 4 (or 3 depending) tabs there.

    "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:HAdze.1314$ER6.1256@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
    > Thank you.
    >
    > I'm sure this will lead me to the right result.
    >
    > I'm not going to answer to David Candy's post. He is so arrogant.
    >
    > I did a search in Help & Support with "ctrl-alt-del to login". It gave me
    > the following result (0):
    > Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for ctrl-alt-del to login.
    >
    > Again, thanks.
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> In the Users section on Control Panel, turn off "use welcome
    >> screen."
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> | How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the
    >> Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    >> | banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    >> |
    >> | Thanks in advance.

    Did you wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning? Have terrorists made
    your day/ You know I don't care if I antagonize you because you rarely have
    anything useful to say.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    Moron there are 4 (or 3 depending) tabs there.

    ----------------------
    "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Thank you.
    >
    > I'm sure this will lead me to the right result.
    >
    > I'm not going to answer to David Candy's post. He is so arrogant.
    >
    > I did a search in Help & Support with "ctrl-alt-del to login". It gave me
    > the following result (0):
    > Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for ctrl-alt-del to login.
    >
    > Again, thanks.
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> In the Users section on Control Panel, turn off "use welcome
    >> screen."
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> | How do I change newly installed XP SP2 to give me the
    >> Ctrl-Alt-Del login
    >> | banner instead of the Fast Switching login?
    >> |
    >> | Thanks in advance.

    Well I didn't give a wrong answer. And I gave a process where the peson could
    a/ learn to solve their own problems
    b/ get the answer in 10 seconds

    Your answer did neither of the above.

    The freedom fighters merely annoyed me by taking over the TV and interupting the cricket coveridge.

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OJGDCMygFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Did you wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning? Have terrorists made
    > your day/ You know I don't care if I antagonize you because you rarely have
    > anything useful to say.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Moron there are 4 (or 3 depending) tabs there.

    > ----------------------
    > "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> I'm sure this will lead me to the right result.
    >>
    >> I'm not going to answer to David Candy's post. He is so arrogant.
    >>
    >> I did a search in Help & Support with "ctrl-alt-del to login". It gave me
    >> the following result (0):
    >> Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for ctrl-alt-del to login.
    >>
    >> Again, thanks.
    >>
    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> In the Users section on Control Panel, turn off "use welcome
    >>> screen."
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>> some support
    >>> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>>

    >>> "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>> Ctrl-Alt-Del login

    Help and Support internet search engine brings up the same results for ctrl-alt-del as for ctrl+alt+del. I checked before posting.

    "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:ufaE1gygFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > That's because there is no such key sequence as ctrl-alt-del.
    >
    > The key sequence is ctrl+alt+delete.
    >
    > Search for ctrl+alt+delete to login in Help and Support.
    >
    > How To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence for Logging On in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308226
    >
    > How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291559
    >
    > How To Use the Fast User Switching Feature in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:HAdze.1314$ER6.1256@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
    > C C <someone@sbcglobal.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> I'm sure this will lead me to the right result.
    >>
    >> I'm not going to answer to David Candy's post. He is so arrogant.
    >>
    >> I did a search in Help & Support with "ctrl-alt-del to login". It gave me
    >> the following result (0):
    >> Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for ctrl-alt-del to login.
    >>
    >> Again, thanks.
    >>
    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> In the Users section on Control Panel, turn off "use welcome
    >>> screen."
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>> some support
    >>> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>>

    >>> "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>> Ctrl-Alt-Del login

    You got me there.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:u2s6Ad2gFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
    > Help and Support internet search engine brings up the same results for
    > ctrl-alt-del as for ctrl+alt+del. I checked before posting.

    ------------------------
    >> That's because there is no such key sequence as ctrl-alt-del.
    >>
    >> The key sequence is ctrl+alt+delete.
    >>
    >> Search for ctrl+alt+delete to login in Help and Support.
    >>
    >> How To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence for Logging On in
    >> Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308226
    >>
    >> How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291559
    >>
    >> How To Use the Fast User Switching Feature in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279765
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:HAdze.1314$ER6.1256@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
    >> C C <someone@sbcglobal.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure this will lead me to the right result.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not going to answer to David Candy's post. He is so arrogant.
    >>>
    >>> I did a search in Help & Support with "ctrl-alt-del to login". It gave
    >>> me the following result (0):
    >>> Full-text Search Matches returned 0 results for ctrl-alt-del to
    >>> login.
    >>>
    >>> Again, thanks.
    >>>
    >>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message

    Type it in help.

    "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:W%fze.1635$Xp6.16@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
    >I have a brand new Dell Laptop with XP Pro SP2. After the setup, I can't
    > figure out how to enable the Login screen that I am used to my XP Pro at
    > work.
    >

    > "JS" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    >> JS wrote:

    > login
    >> >

    >> > Join a domain :)
    >> >
    >> > Alternatively:
    >> >
    >> > Disable the Welcome screen as Jim Macklin says.
    >> >
    >> > Then:
    >> >
    >> > Start -> Run -> secpol.msc
    >> >
    >> > Local Policies -> Security Options
    >> >
    >> > Set "Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL-ALT-DEL" to Disabled.
    >>
    >> Sorry, do you have Home or Pro? I don't believe the above is possible in
    >> XPHE.

    I am interested about this as well....the knowledge base article that comes
    up from searching within XP gives the following link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308226

    The problem, though, is that the instructions say to click the "Advanced"
    tab in the user screen -- which does not exist. Ultimately, I found out how
    to make the change through editing the registry or using the Security Policy
    console (as described above), so my problem is solved.

    My question, then, is why is it so much harder to make this change in SP2
    than it was in the past? It's sort of like a hidden option now as opposed to
    in the past when one could just check a box.

    Thanks.

    Hi,

    Either go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2

    or download line 1 (right hand side) to add it to your Control Panel:

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "tmatt" <tmatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am interested about this as well....the knowledge base article that comes
    > up from searching within XP gives the following link:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308226
    >
    > The problem, though, is that the instructions say to click the "Advanced"
    > tab in the user screen -- which does not exist. Ultimately, I found out
    > how
    > to make the change through editing the registry or using the Security
    > Policy
    > console (as described above), so my problem is solved.
    >
    > My question, then, is why is it so much harder to make this change in SP2
    > than it was in the past? It's sort of like a hidden option now as opposed
    > in the past when one could just check a box.
    >
    > Thanks.

Login Microsoft Windows XP