Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
1 Raptor is super fast and the access times are amazing. I dont have the money for 2 raptors and there is a marginal performance improvement that does not make up for the price. So what would perform better; 1 Raptor or 2 Caviar drives for the same price? Storage is not an issue.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 09/23/04 08:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

What exactly are you trying to do with the 2 7200 RPM drives? Are you planning on running them in RAID 0 or something? RAID 0 is really only going to help you with very large, continous read/write speeds, therefore on just about everything else the Raptor drive will be better, especially if storage is not an issue.

Personally, I hesistated about buying a Raptor drive for quite a while, after I bought one, I was suprised, I could tell a difference right away, over my 7200 RPM 80 gig WD. I went with the 36 gig just cause I couldn't justify the price of the 74 at the time. Of course also keep in mind that the 74 gig version (latest one, older ones do not), is the only one that supports, command queing.

Tough choice, as the 7200 RPM drives, would obvisuly offer more storage, but you said that wasn't your main concern. The Raptor drive obvisuly has the performance advantage. Personally I would choose the Raptor.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Ohh good deal then. I will take the raptor. Ive read reviews that the 74 is faster tand quieter than the 37. Yeah. I was in a hurry and did not have time to specify that I would have put the two Caviar drives in a RAID0.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
raptors all the way
woooohoooooooooo

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s

RichPLS

Champion
Your Raptors come with 5-year warranties, verses most 7200 drives 1 to 3-year warranties.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

TRENDING THREADS