Where is my battery icon in the right corner of the task b..

Recently I found that I cannot see the battery power indicator icon in the
right corner of the task bar when I was using my laptop. But I can see the
battery power percentage level and battery information in the dialogue
window of power management in the control pannel. I don't know what happened.
How can I see it again? Thanks a lot! :)

Mary

Hard to say without knowing which laptop. Try Power Options in Control Panel
& look for a setting to 'show icon.' Your manufacturer's web site or your
manual is the place to check for help.

"Democracy" <Democracy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently I found that I cannot see the battery power indicator icon
> in the right corner of the task bar when I was using my laptop. But I
> can see the battery power percentage level and battery information
> in the dialogue window of power management in the control pannel. I
> don't know what happened. How can I see it again? Thanks a lot! :)

Does the left edge of the Notification Area have a circle with a left
pointing carat? If so, click it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Democracy <Democracy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Recently I found that I cannot see the battery power indicator icon in the
>right corner of the task bar when I was using my laptop. But I can see the
>battery power percentage level and battery information in the dialogue
>window of power management in the control pannel. I don't know what happened.
>How can I see it again? Thanks a lot! :)

I've been having this problem on my Compaq laptop, and haven't figured
a way around it. The control panel applet says that the notification
area icon should be displayed, but it's not always there. It's not
hidden, when I expand the notification area it's still not there. To
make matters worse, I don't always get a notification before the power
gets low enough that the machine automatically hibernates. This in
spite of the fact that the control panel applet says that it should
notify me. It's not horrible, since hibernation preserves whatever I
was working on. I can just plug in the power cable, reboot, and
continue. But it is a PITA, and I don't know why it does that.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Sounds like a poorly written application, does Compaq have an update for it?

Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sounds like a poorly written application, does Compaq have an update for it?

Compaq has nothing to do with it. It's XP's builtin power management
Control Panel applet.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Leslie

Did you ever figure out what was causing your battery problems? My Compaq
recently started doing the same thing. The battery indicator is completely
gone and only appears sporadically. In addition to the troubles you're
having, every now and then, it randomly goes into hibernation when the
battery is nearly fully charged, saying that the battery is at a critical
level. I don't know what started these issues, but it drives me nuts. If
you have any advice, let me know.

--
Leslie

Leslie <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Did you ever figure out what was causing your battery problems? My Compaq
>recently started doing the same thing. The battery indicator is completely
>gone and only appears sporadically. In addition to the troubles you're
>having, every now and then, it randomly goes into hibernation when the
>battery is nearly fully charged, saying that the battery is at a critical
>level. I don't know what started these issues, but it drives me nuts. If
>you have any advice, let me know.

The battery icon is usually there, but not always. The machine nearly
always hibernates without giving a "low battery" warning first, even
though the options are set correctly in the control panel applet. No,
I don't have a clue why it acts like that.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Did anyone solve this issue? I have the problem and can not figure out how
to resolve it. Any suggestions?
--
JWar1

"Tim Slattery" wrote:

> Leslie <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Did you ever figure out what was causing your battery problems? My Compaq
> >recently started doing the same thing. The battery indicator is completely
> >gone and only appears sporadically. In addition to the troubles you're
> >having, every now and then, it randomly goes into hibernation when the
> >battery is nearly fully charged, saying that the battery is at a critical
> >level. I don't know what started these issues, but it drives me nuts. If
> >you have any advice, let me know.
>
> The battery icon is usually there, but not always. The machine nearly
> always hibernates without giving a "low battery" warning first, even
> though the options are set correctly in the control panel applet. No,
> I don't have a clue why it acts like that.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I also have a Compaq R3000 and within the last month it started doing a
similar thing. When it is fully charged I found that it is shutting off the
AC power coming in and then runs off the battery until the battery goes dead
and it shuts off. If I unplug the power after it starts running off the
battery it will start charging again and then do the same thing. I looked on
the HP website and the only thing I could find was about checking the battery
and adapter. It said if it runs off AC without the battery then the charger
is OK. If it goes back and forth between the battery and charger to
rei-install windows. I also noticed my battery icon disappears. I put it on
do not hide and manually bring it up then it stays on the task bar a while
then disappears. I tried doing a repair install but it doesn't give me that
option. If I can get it to do a repair install it will tell me if it is
software or hardware related.
--
In the quest for knowledge.