SATA Hard Disks Durability and Portability

eyadaman

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
Now that SATA hard disk drives are hot-swappable, is there any indication that they are durable enough to be carried in a brief case without being damaged? do the heads get "parked" the same way they do in the usb/firewire drives? are there special sata drives designed to withstand the potential damaging effects of being carried all over the place?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What are you talking about? Do you even know what you want to do with the drive? Can you ask a particular question (whole buncha words and no cense)

All drives are the same, they are made out of metal silicone and glass, what do you want out of them, why do you need to know how "the heads get "parked"", will it make you sleep better? What is the difference if they are parked it "xyz" order, or "zyx" order? How are the SATA drives different from the usb/firewire drives, aren't they the same thing but usb/firewire ones are just enclosed into boxes with little chips to transfer signals into different form? Why are you asking so many questions, are you concerned about your life so much that have to make me (and maybe some of fellaz here) nervous? What is this asking around? Are you trying our patience and trying to see how long we can sustain our brain sells to be undamaged? Are you environmentalist or sorta like that, or are you supporting terrorists that are trying to kill some innocent people among us? What are you trying to hint at, ha?

If you want to carry the drive "all over the place" (what place?) hang it on your neck and carry it that way, it will not be damaged unless you are going to swing it and hit somebody with it, but even then it is just a little bunch of metal and stuff, so I don't think you'll damage it by making a whole in some body's scull. Get real, you will not hide your true motives from us, honorabell peepel here. Or you have some other questions?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a little secret, let me whisper it to you so as not to scare anyone:
<pre>They're all pretty much the same</pre><p>Notebook hard drives are smaller but designed to be a bit more shock resistant. Desktop drives on the other hand, can you tell me the difference between a WD1200JD and WD1200JB besides the interface?

Smaller portable drives are usually based on laptop drives, larger portable drives are usually based on desktop drives. The enclosure often adds additional shock absorbtion by mounting the drive on rubber bushings and using urethane edge guards. Nothing special about the drive inside, sorry.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AFAIK the only difference between an SATA model and it's equivalent IDE model is just the interface. The rest is the same.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
According to the manufacturers, most drive damage occurs during shipping. Once installed a drive is likely to live a long and productive life. Unless you take it out and carry it around in your briefcase that is in which case you may shorten the life of your drive. Drive heads are always 'parked' when shutdown normally whether the interfase be SATA, USB or firewire.

The only drives actually designed with a mobile environment in mind are the notebook drives and microdrives. They are built to withstand shocks 5 to 6 times greater than desktop drives. If carrying your hard drive around in your bag wasn't likely to lead to drive failure, manufacturers wouldn't bother to make notebook drives more shock resistant.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: