Your question

Microsoft Breeds Four Unique Mice

Tags:
  • Mice
  • Microsoft
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 28, 2007 11:09:41 AM

The company reacts to regain some of its lead in the race through the rodent technology maze.

More about : microsoft breeds unique mice

February 28, 2007 12:48:40 PM

Toms Hardware Five Star Ratings?

Looks like we have a new edition to the reviews.
Would be interesting if the THG forum members could also rate the products.

The wireless presenter mouse was pretty sweet. Its about time someone figured out how to get some more useful functionality out of a mouse other than sticking 10 buttons under your fingers that you accidentally click a half dozen times and randomly send you to places you dont want to be.

The rest of the mice were kinda blah/same old thing.
February 28, 2007 2:58:33 PM

To me... this is just another attempt of microsoft trying to copying someone else who has done it better.

This ergo mouse is by far better.

http://www.evoluent.com/vm3.html

It has helped my wrist problems 10 fold.
Related resources
February 28, 2007 4:57:16 PM

The "Natural Laser Mouse 6000" is an obvious copy of Logitech MX/VX.
February 28, 2007 4:58:56 PM

I wouldn't call them unique at all.

They look completely conventional and not innovative in the slightest.

The "Natural Laser Mouse 6000" is a blatant direct copy of Logitech MX which has been around for ages.
February 28, 2007 5:31:39 PM

I can't believe they still are using that "detentless" scroll wheel or whatever it's called. I use a Microsoft wireless combo and that's my only gripe with it. It's especially annoying when trying to scroll through weapons in a game. It's nearly impossible to skip just one. You usually end up scrolling through 2 or 3 and getting killed in the process.
February 28, 2007 6:18:36 PM

I have been using the Habu for a few months and it is the best gaming mouse on the market. It fits the hand like a glove and the rubber on the sides leaves it where it is supposed to be. I have five different mize in a box now (MX518, Copperhead sent back, the new IntelliPoint 3.0 (also very good and missed in this review since it is a brand new engine in this one as well) and maybe slightly more smooth movement comp to Habu, but the mouse keep slipping, maybe I need to develop some palm swetting. :) 

There are also errors in the article. The Habu is an improvement on current Razer mice, with a polling rate of 1000Hz (not 500Hz as reported in article).

The only thing annoying comp to the MX518 is the in-game DPI switiching. The MX518 lets you switch in 50Hz increments. The Habu only supports 400, 800, 1600 and 2000.

For Counter Strike Source, the Habu is the best mouse on the market!

Don't run in to me when the DEagle is pulled!
February 28, 2007 6:44:03 PM

Please define your terms:

reactivity as in "the extremely precise and reactive 1000 dpi laser sensor". Reactivity commonly means how easily things combine or explode.

acceleration as in "So it must be the acceleration to 250 Hz that explains, at least in part, the 8000's excellent fluidity at 1000 dpi." Acceleration usually means velocity changing with time, such as: speed increasing. In mice, acceleration usually means change in the rate the mouse cursor moves across the screen.

resolution and precision as in "When you need to do a quick turn in a first-person action game, you need higher resolution and the accompanying speed. But if you have to aim with a rifle scope after you turn, you need precision, and that means you'd do well to lower the resolution a notch." Resolution usually means fineness of detail. Precision usually means exactness. In mice, I would think they'd be synonymous.
March 1, 2007 4:15:47 AM

*You can have my Logitec G7 2000DPI gaming mouse, when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers* . . .

Or, IF you buy me a new one ;) 
March 1, 2007 12:38:51 PM

And you can have my logitech G5 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!!!!

FYI 1000 dpi is not high, 2000 is. Also the quality of the laser is just as important as number of times the laser send's a report.
The chip in the mouse that compares images is also crutial, cruddy cheap chip cannot determine difference between laser image 1 and 2 as well as a good quality chip.
If you do a review first realize 1000 dpi is standard- not cutting edge, mabey if a mouse has 4000 dpi and uses 2 usb to report it will be cutting edg3.
And harping on old fetures such as the + and - buttons to change dpi- logitech invented that ages ago, it is not new.
And if i were a business man, doing presentations in BIG BOSS meetings, i would not have a nerdy mouse with buttons on the top and the bottom. I would use a simple laser pointer~!

Thanx NoNeeD for the link, that mouse looks good, i un-twisted my hand from my horizontal mouse and it felt better, even looking at that mouse and dreaming, even though i dont have a verticall mouse!
Now when ppl come into my computer shop asking for cruddy old track-wheels, cuz they have arthritis, i can show them a good solution that does not include CRUDDY ROLL WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 3, 2007 5:51:38 PM

Quote:

resolution and precision as in "When you need to do a quick turn in a first-person action game, you need higher resolution and the accompanying speed. But if you have to aim with a rifle scope after you turn, you need precision, and that means you'd do well to lower the resolution a notch." Resolution usually means fineness of detail. Precision usually means exactness. In mice, I would think they'd be synonymous.

nope, increasing mouse resolution (dpi) allows the mouse to track faster while keeping the same precision. there is actually less precision from the users point of view since small hand movements = bigger on screen movement.

thats something to think about if you think buying a 2000 dpi mouse will give you more accuracy than a 400 dpi mouse.
March 3, 2007 7:43:03 PM

Quote:

nope, increasing mouse resolution (dpi) allows the mouse to track faster while keeping the same precision. there is actually less precision from the users point of view since small hand movements = bigger on screen movement.

thats something to think about if you think buying a 2000 dpi mouse will give you more accuracy than a 400 dpi mouse.

Actually, a good 2000 dpi mouse will have an adjustment for dpi, and as my G7 does, its two buttons on the mouse, that can change regarless if you're in a game or not.

Not only that , but this mouse is extremely accurate, I can nearly draw freehand in many paint programs with it, and comes in real handy using Adobe Pagemaker (among other things).

I had reservations spending $75 usd on a 'gaming' mouse, but I'll tell you, I've never been happier. The only real problem I have with it, is that sometimes, if you do not make sure the batteries are put into the charger correctly, they dont charge, but it is something that I personally can live with.

That being said, I'm sure there are a few other mice out there that are as good as my G7, and maybe one or two that are better, but I would buy this mouse again, because I know well it works, and I am used to it.
March 3, 2007 8:18:47 PM

I hate you all.

Someone please buy be a mouse..car...life.

P.S Logitech rule.
March 4, 2007 4:39:43 AM

i have a 1600 dpi mouse and its great. good mice like the G7 increase the USB polling rate (500hz) which does make them noticeably smoother and precise (theoretically anyway). my point was just that DPI isn't a factor in that.
March 11, 2007 12:14:15 AM

Oh, Mordorsoft and his wireless stuff...hmmm, it's almost like Vista...running out of juice too fast. I've had like one very (wannabe) good intelli wireless mouse from Mordorsoft and my dad 1 wireless keyboard. Both totally were crap in battery life. To make this story even more crazy.....I have had one logitec and as I play many shooters online (many keypressing) I was amazed that these keyboard battery's inside last for over 1 year. Mordorsoft won't even last half a year. Logitec is the real clear winner when it comes to battery life. For the rest all keyboards and mice just do what they are supposed to do right? So this is one very important factor....battery life.
Also the old Logitec mx500 (which I own allready 4 years) is still recorded as the best gaming mouse to date. Four years record holding for me in every online test. I don't see mordorsoft do this. Btw....wireless just cant beat wire when it comes to fast gaming. Don't let them foul ya young jedi's. ;)  Read the tests first...every guy with 1600 dpi mouses tells you great stories....as they payed a lot of money for their mouse.....so read real tests...don't believe every forum.

ps: don't belive me...ask yourself this question. Why are the wireless mice never on top of any test when it comes to gaming.
March 28, 2007 6:21:49 PM

Quote:
Why are the wireless mice never on top of any test when it comes to gaming.

Have you ever used a G7? me thinks not
!