Raptor Performance Help

Gnomer

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2004
I just recently bought two of the 72 GB Raptors,
I have them in a Raid 0, using the onboard Intel SATA Raid controller, (I have an Asus 865 mobo)
And I benchmarked them, including PCMark04 and Win Bench, the same one used on this site..
Now in Win Bench in the Business Application I scored a 13,700, while they got 13,300, so that's good.
But in the High End Application Performance I only scored a 48,000, to their 62,200.

And in PCMark04 I scored:

XP Booting 16.78 MB/s
Application Loading 10.31 MB/s
File Copying 40.33 MB/s
General HDD Usage 10.31 MB/s

Is this right? It seems a little slow to me after hearing how fast Raptors are, or maybe I'm just ignorant.

Would I need a better controller card to make it faster? I have a FastTrak controller in there holding my other Seagate SATA drive, and when I had that raided with my Raptors, it scored less then on the Intel controller.

My comp is a Pentium 4 3GHz.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Well. Are you using these on a PCI buss? Also dual Raptors in raid0 that being used for anything other than pure file transfer is a waste of money. The performance difference is very marginal. 40mbs seems very slow for file transfer, make sure everything is updated and your array is set up correctly.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"