Are Raptors Worth it?

I can get 76Gb Raptors for £122.

So, the price per Gb is pretty high!

I want to have a RAID0 setup, and I was wondering is it REALY worth the money to buy two of these?

Would two Maxtor Diamond9's (or equiv) be THAT much slower in RAID0?

Thanks

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Putting two 74 GB raptors in raid 0 is a complete waste. You'll have just as fast a system with much more storage for cheaper if you went with 1 74 GB raptor as a boot drive and 1 200 GB drive for your data.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
The Raptors RAID 0 would show its muscle in intensive things such as video editing. Where raw speed and throughput is needed the array would be faster. But as stated earlier, if you just want to play games and surf the net, the price of RAID 0 would not be worth it.

I put off buying a Raptor drive for a quite a while, a few months back I finally decided to get one, won't own another computer that doesn't have one for a boot drive. I noticed a performance increase right away over my WD 7200 RPM 80 gig. I'd recommend them to almost anyone.

Anyways, I'm the third to say this, but the RAID 0 is only really going to help you on very large files, continous read/write stuff. Just games, and OS loading, it isn't going to make a difference.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Ok, so Ill scrap the RAID0 idea (it will be cheaper this way too :lol: .

So Raptor 74Gb as boot drive.
(two partitions on it - C: Windows D: Apps)

Is the RAID0 not worth it at all then? Or is it just becuase the Raptors are so fast?

I still need a nice 7200RPM drive for my downloads / Music etc Any ideas.

P.S thanks to all the previous posts - Great help

RichPLS

Champion
ME, I would only have one partition per drive, and have 2 drives. Then have boot drive with programs, and the data drive for swap file and storage.
Multiple partitions on a single drive went out with the 90's.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

id rather have a seperate partition for my games on the raptor to help with loading times.

RichPLS

Champion
The seperate partitions on the same drive is not better than having boot drive with OS and a seperate physical drive, even a 7200rpm for data.
There is only one actuator and it has to stop working from one partition to move to the other for the other partition, thus creating a delay.
If you have two physical drives, one for os, the other for swap file, then this function can be performed simutaniously, thus increasing access and transfer times.

Partitioning a drive is old school.

========================
Try everything...

are you captain obvious?!

I have 1.25gig of RAM, so Ive disabled the Swap file / virtual memory.

Why would I want to buy a 70+ gig harddrive just to put a 1.5gig OS on it?!.

I cant see having a problem having OS / GAMES / APPS on the Raptor. DATA / MUSIC / VIDs on a 7200 drive.

RichPLS

Champion
Neddie, neddie neddite... doesn't matter. Slice your Raptor any way you want and you get less performance out of it when trying to access both partitions at the same time verses using twin drives and simultaniously accessing.
Simple it is, Simple you are, thats all there is to it, accept it or not.

========================
Try everything...

why would the system be tryin to access windows files when running a game? There is no Swap file and so no need to read from a different partition

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Windows has still got to run and use its main files even while you're playing a game. It would have to acess one partion for Windows and another for games thus creating a delay.

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your cpu doesn't know how to access the drive. It's gotta ask for drivers and such. It's constantly reading from your windows partition.

Having your games and OS on one partition is like trying to read the following:

Hey there
Ned, how's it' going?

The files are all clustered together.

Having them on two seperate partitions is like trying to read:

Hey there,

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ned, how's it going?

Sucks to have to read across two posts huh?

OS + apps + games on one partition on your raptor drive. Have a big (200G are a nice price right now) 7200 rpm drive for your data/downloads etc.

Don't disable your swap either. You CAN run out sometimes and then the sh1t hits the fan.

Dare

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
> I have 1.25gig of RAM, so Ive disabled the Swap
> file / virtual memory.

That will slow down your system dude, better enable it. Plus, your OS still uses the hard drive for all kinds of things.

seriously I havent noticed any slow down at all.

Well, so far my new pc consists of a Hydor L30 water pump and an A64 DD RBX waterblock :lol: .

Do any A64 chipsets support command queing yet?

I don't have a case :lol: , well I have my old 1, but I want a new 1. I'm looking into the Lian Li PC65

RichPLS

Champion
McDonalds is paying competive salaries now, ya know...

Want flies with that?

ptoohiieee

========================
Try everything...

I quit - I posted the news in the OTHER not too long back, I'm sure. I got £700 holiday pay for 2 years, which I never collected - Until I quit.

Additionaly, for passing my A-levels I got a £100 bonus from my EMA (free money for attending college that the local counsel gives me!).

£400 - 18th B-Day money.

Student Loan for uni - £1300

RichPLS

Champion
Seriously, I have more respect for you now.

It is to be commended that you took on the initiative to work, when so many youth nowadays just bum around and complain about what a tough life they have and expect to be given the best things in life on a silver platter.

========================
Try everything...

Maccy D's was a breaze looking back at it, who can't flip burgers for £4.50 an hour? (Training Squad Wage).