Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to clean the hibernation file?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:20:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I clicked
on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power management program
pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp home.

Thanks 4 anyone that could help.

More about : clean hibernation file

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:32:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Disable hibernation in Power Options, and reboot. That should resolve
the issue.

Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:

> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I clicked
> on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power management program
> pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp home.
>
> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I clicked
>on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power management program
>pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp home.

The hibernation file should be read then deleted when you boot up. So
once your computer is running there is no hibernation file.

So just what do you mean by "cleaning" it? What do you expect to
happen?

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Slattery_T@bls.gov
Related resources
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:25:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I
> clicked on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power
> management program pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp
> home.
>
> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.

1) Please don't use SMS-speak, this is Usenet, not an instant messenger
or mobile phone.

2) I don't understand what you mean by "clean the hibernation file". What
are you attempting to do, and what do you hope to accomplish (or believe you
will accomplish) by doing so...?
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:25:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

<<Please don't use SMS-speak, this is Usenet, not an instant <<messenger
<<or mobile phone.
What is RTFM , one of your favorites?
A hypocrite and a know nothing = YOU

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
news:XHcze.1827$2I4.1620@fe05.ams...
> Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
>> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I
>> clicked on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power
>> management program pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp
>> home.
>>
>> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.
>
> 1) Please don't use SMS-speak, this is Usenet, not an instant messenger
> or mobile phone.
>
> 2) I don't understand what you mean by "clean the hibernation file".
> What are you attempting to do, and what do you hope to accomplish (or
> believe you will accomplish) by doing so...?
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
news:XHcze.1827$2I4.1620@fe05.ams...
> Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
>> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I
>> clicked on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power
>> management program pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp
>> home.
>>
>> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.
>
> 1) Please don't use SMS-speak, this is Usenet, not an instant messenger
> or mobile phone.
>
> 2) I don't understand what you mean by "clean the hibernation file".
> What are you attempting to do, and what do you hope to accomplish (or
> believe you will accomplish) by doing so...?


Duh! How thick are you?

ss.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:29:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That's not SMS speak. It's too english like.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message news:XHcze.1827$2I4.1620@fe05.ams...
> Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
>> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I
>> clicked on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power
>> management program pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp
>> home.
>>
>> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.
>
> 1) Please don't use SMS-speak, this is Usenet, not an instant messenger
> or mobile phone.
>
> 2) I don't understand what you mean by "clean the hibernation file". What
> are you attempting to do, and what do you hope to accomplish (or believe you
> will accomplish) by doing so...?
>
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:29:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hiberfil.Sys is simply a repository for memory contents and the
system state. Hiberfil.Sys is populated, PC goes to sleep - PC
wakes up contents restored (Implies empty the Hiberfil file ).
What would there be to clean, while the PC is conscious ?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:ep8oYExgFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
That's not SMS speak. It's too english like.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
news:XHcze.1827$2I4.1620@fe05.ams...
> Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
>> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I
>> clicked on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power
>> management program pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp
>> home.
>>
>> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.
>
> 1) Please don't use SMS-speak, this is Usenet, not an instant messenger
> or mobile phone.
>
> 2) I don't understand what you mean by "clean the hibernation file".
> What
> are you attempting to do, and what do you hope to accomplish (or believe
> you
> will accomplish) by doing so...?
>
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:38:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No need to reboot. File gets zapped as soon as one disables it.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23fIC$GxgFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Disable hibernation in Power Options, and reboot. That should resolve
> the issue.
>
> Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
>
>> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I clicked
>> on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power management program
>> pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp home.
>>
>> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:43:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The data in your memory when last hibernated.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:o 6wLUJxgFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hiberfil.Sys is simply a repository for memory contents and the
> system state. Hiberfil.Sys is populated, PC goes to sleep - PC
> wakes up contents restored (Implies empty the Hiberfil file ).
> What would there be to clean, while the PC is conscious ?
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:ep8oYExgFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> That's not SMS speak. It's too english like.
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> =================================================
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> news:XHcze.1827$2I4.1620@fe05.ams...
>> Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
>>> Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>>> I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I
>>> clicked on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power
>>> management program pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp
>>> home.
>>>
>>> Thanks 4 anyone that could help.
>>
>> 1) Please don't use SMS-speak, this is Usenet, not an instant messenger
>> or mobile phone.
>>
>> 2) I don't understand what you mean by "clean the hibernation file".
>> What
>> are you attempting to do, and what do you hope to accomplish (or believe
>> you
>> will accomplish) by doing so...?
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:07:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for replying. Actually, wahat I mean is to disable the hibernation
file that use the hard disk space because when I defrag using disk
defragmenter called diskeeper, it shows a large chunk of files that is
fragmented but can't be defragmented. I would like to disable the function,
then defrag the hard drive to make the fragmentation as low as possible.

Thanks for help.

"Tim Slattery" wrote:

> "Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
> >I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I clicked
> >on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power management program
> >pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp home.
>
> The hibernation file should be read then deleted when you boot up. So
> once your computer is running there is no hibernation file.
>
> So just what do you mean by "cleaning" it? What do you expect to
> happen?
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
>
July 9, 2005 2:10:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:07:02 -0700, "Onlyjamesbond007"
<onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would like to disable the function,

Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>Power Options>Hibernate

Uncheck "Enable Hibernation"

Hope this helps,
Ed
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:37:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for everyone's reply.
Actually, to disable the hibernation function in Windows XP Home or
Professional is as easy as a flip of finger. Just go to the power in screen
saver tab...click on hibernaton tab.....ya! I had done this more than ten
times on my old desktop which I bulid it myself.

But the actual problem that arises is that currently I am using an ACER
laptop that has includded its own power management software that replaces the
windows original one, called "ACER e-power management"that does a great job.

The problem is I don't know how to disable the hibernation options since
there is no any options for me to disable it.

Appreciate anyone that can point this out for me. Thanks!

"Ed" wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:07:02 -0700, "Onlyjamesbond007"
> <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I would like to disable the function,
>
> Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>Power Options>Hibernate
>
> Uncheck "Enable Hibernation"
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ed
>
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 8:16:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You've already been told idiot.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:B7C28A7C-8370-4D9B-8CAE-6CFD655437EF@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for replying. Actually, wahat I mean is to disable the hibernation
> file that use the hard disk space because when I defrag using disk
> defragmenter called diskeeper, it shows a large chunk of files that is
> fragmented but can't be defragmented. I would like to disable the function,
> then defrag the hard drive to make the fragmentation as low as possible.
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> "Tim Slattery" wrote:
>
>> "Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>> >I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I clicked
>> >on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power management program
>> >pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp home.
>>
>> The hibernation file should be read then deleted when you boot up. So
>> once your computer is running there is no hibernation file.
>>
>> So just what do you mean by "cleaning" it? What do you expect to
>> happen?
>>
>> --
>> Tim Slattery
>> MS MVP(DTS)
>> Slattery_T@bls.gov
>>
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:59:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'd look in your BIOS and read the computer manual.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:45758C1B-5CF2-4F38-A2E7-818BA2F870D4@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for everyone's reply.
> Actually, to disable the hibernation function in Windows XP Home or
> Professional is as easy as a flip of finger. Just go to the power in screen
> saver tab...click on hibernaton tab.....ya! I had done this more than ten
> times on my old desktop which I bulid it myself.
>
> But the actual problem that arises is that currently I am using an ACER
> laptop that has includded its own power management software that replaces the
> windows original one, called "ACER e-power management"that does a great job.
>
> The problem is I don't know how to disable the hibernation options since
> there is no any options for me to disable it.
>
> Appreciate anyone that can point this out for me. Thanks!
>
> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:07:02 -0700, "Onlyjamesbond007"
>> <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I would like to disable the function,
>>
>> Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>Power Options>Hibernate
>>
>> Uncheck "Enable Hibernation"
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Ed
>>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:55:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:47:30 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
wrote:

>"Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Any one know how to clean the hibernation file?
>>I dunno how to do this on my acer aspire 1692wlmi laptop coz when I clicked
>>on the power icon on the screen saver tab, the ACER power management program
>>pops out instead of the normal one in wndows xp home.
>
>The hibernation file should be read then deleted when you boot up. So
>once your computer is running there is no hibernation file.
>
>So just what do you mean by "cleaning" it? What do you expect to
>happen?

I'm on my main laptop (Toshiba) at the moment, and just checked to
make sure; the hiber file is there, so it's not deleted on powerup.
And it's locked by XP. It is possible to unlock and delete the file.
I just did this with a nice utility called 'Unlocker':

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download

Unfortunately that site has an annoying Google popup pasted right in
front. For some reason, it's not caught by my popup blocker. Or by
Google toolbar (gee!) Anyone who visits can click the 'ads by Google'
header to leave a message to them. I just did.

Anyway, the obvious reason to get rid of the hiberfile is to free up
space, but I just perused a disk image (Acronis or Ghost, I forget)
and there it was. Pagefile too. That's not supposed to happen in an
intelligent imaging program.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 04:16:31 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>You've already been told idiot.

It probably didn't work. Many laptops have their own power management
that is suited to the particular laptop. They override windows'
management. I could disable mine, but there are some utilities that
I'd like to keep. Unfortunately, there are also some omissions.

I believe there should be a comma between 'told' and 'idiot.'
!