research puzzles

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.

I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
in the direction of other games like this?

"Penner Theologius Pott" <Fool548891@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
> thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
> player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
> and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
> something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.
>
> I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
> in the direction of other games like this?

Maybe try the CSI games. I didn't play the first one, but the second one
was pretty good.

Meaghan

---

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Penner Theologius Pott" <Fool548891@aol.com> skrev i melding
> Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
> thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
> player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
> and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
> something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.
>
> I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
> in the direction of other games like this?

Slouching Towards Bedlam

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Penner Theologius Pott" <Fool548891@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
> thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
> player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
> and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
> something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.
>
> I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
> in the direction of other games like this?

Missing Since January has parts like this where you research things online like
whst Tycho Brahe did while in Prague and alchemical formulas and so on.

pilon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Is JD Spy still around? I thoroughly enjoyed that game!

Pilon

In article <7333d18e.0411112312.77287c02@posting.google.com>,
Fool548891@aol.com says...
> Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
> thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
> player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
> and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
> something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.
>
> I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
> in the direction of other games like this?

Discworld Noir should fit the bill, if you haven't already played it.
--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne

Fool548891@aol.com (Penner Theologius Pott) wrote in message news:<7333d18e.0411112312.77287c02@posting.google.com>...
> Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
> thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
> player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
> and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
> something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.
>
> I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
> in the direction of other games like this?

I wasn't sure whether to say this, but I have been playing Planescape:
Torment, a game that fits this description. You have woken up in a
mortuary, having previously died, and you can't remember who you are.
This is far from a typical amnesia scenario, because aside from your
mere identity, you must uncover a mystery about yourself. It's an RPG,
but the proportion of time that I spent hacking and slashing was
pretty low, and I liked that.

The problem is, I am stuck, and I think it's because of a bug. That
pisses me off.

Hey, as long as I'm writing this, maybe somebody could help me out.

Probably no spoilers here, but hey, what the hell. Spoilerspace just
the same.

When you leave the Clerk's Ward and go back to the Hive, is there some
trick to get back to the Lower Ward/Clerk's Ward area? I looked at a
walkthrough that makes it seem as though this is supposed to be
effortless, but I can't do it. I haven't experimented with this
exhaustively, and I haven't successfully beaten the UnderSigil area
yet. It's hard to put a lot of effort into it when you think a bug
might be halting your progress.

Greg

WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com (Greg Boettcher) wrote in message news:<d57689ea.0411190603.1eea8f8a@posting.google.com>...
> Fool548891@aol.com (Penner Theologius Pott) wrote in message news:<7333d18e.0411112312.77287c02@posting.google.com>...
> > Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
> > thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
> > player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
> > and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
> > something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.
> >
> > I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
> > in the direction of other games like this?
>
> I wasn't sure whether to say this, but I have been playing Planescape:
> Torment, a game that fits this description. You have woken up in a
> mortuary, having previously died, and you can't remember who you are.
> This is far from a typical amnesia scenario, because aside from your
> mere identity, you must uncover a mystery about yourself. It's an RPG,
> but the proportion of time that I spent hacking and slashing was
> pretty low, and I liked that.
>
> The problem is, I am stuck, and I think it's because of a bug. That
> pisses me off.
>
> Hey, as long as I'm writing this, maybe somebody could help me out.
>
> Probably no spoilers here, but hey, what the hell. Spoilerspace just
> the same.

(snip)

It's hard to put a lot of effort into it when you think a bug
> might be halting your progress.
>
> Greg

(This is Part II.)

Y'know, it took me forever to figure this out, and of course I felt a
complete idiot when I did.

Btw, Planescape: Torment is one of the most IF-like non-IF games ever.
Torment takes that old chesnut "you wake up with amnesia" and
attempts to encompass *every* outcome. It would work perfectly as a
long, deep, sprawling piece of IF (essentially because it *IS* already
IF, just with a iso-RPG tacked on top of it). And not just because of
the amnesia thing. ;)

I can think of quite a few games that would work better in IF.

That's all I'm sayin for now.

(This is Part I, complete with advice and spoiler space.)

+
+
+
+
+

Remember that sepia-toned map screen that pops up whenever you leave
an area? Go there, and don't click anything yet! Now, move your
cursor over your chosen destination (for instance, the Lower Ward),
and then click! Note that it takes longer off the clock the farther
you travel (and Sigil is sometimes less convenient at night). Get
beefy afore Undersigil. Get plenty of rest. Don't take any wooden
nickels, but do take a little abuse from Godsmen. Hope this works
well for you.

-w.

Greg Boettcher wrote:

> When you leave the Clerk's Ward and go back to the Hive, is there some
> trick to get back to the Lower Ward/Clerk's Ward area? I looked at a
> walkthrough that makes it seem as though this is supposed to be
> effortless, but I can't do it. I haven't experimented with this
> exhaustively, and I haven't successfully beaten the UnderSigil area
> yet. It's hard to put a lot of effort into it when you think a bug
> might be halting your progress.

It's a long time ago since I played PS:T, but IIRC there is a map which is
useable after you have visited the Lower Ward for the first time. It should
pop up when you move to a gate and click on the area transition spot.

HTH
Hans

"Jan Thorsby" <no_jthorsby_spam@broadpark.no> wrote in message news:<41948a91@news.broadpark.no>...
> "Penner Theologius Pott" <Fool548891@aol.com> skrev i melding
> > Hey. I know this is the nerdiest question ever -- but I have a real
> > thing for games that focus on research; games in which most of the
> > player's time is spent on interviewing people, poring over records,
> > and gathering clues from texts to, say, unravel a conspiracy or
> > something, a la the Gabriel Knight games or, say, Anchorhead.
> >
> > I guess it's a pretty bizarre obsession -- but could anyone point me
> > in the direction of other games like this?
>
> Slouching Towards Bedlam

Excellent choice, and I would add A Mind Forever Voyaging and Portal,
an ancient text/graphic game (which, I might add, is sorely in need of
an update)with many similarities to AMFV.
Anchorhead, however, is the finest example I have experienced in IF of
the real joys of research: the frenzied cross-referencing, the strange
tangents one can be led on, the goose chases, the tantalizing scraps
of half-information, the yawning gaps in "the official story", the
thrill (or chill) of the picture becoming a little more
complete...hey, most of the pro researchers I've ever met are pretty
passionate, intense people. Sexy, even. Though that doesn't mean
they aren't huge nerds, as well.
Ah, well. -w.

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <d57689ea.0411190603.1eea8f8a@posting.google.com>,
Greg Boettcher <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:
>When you leave the Clerk's Ward and go back to the Hive, is there some
>trick to get back to the Lower Ward/Clerk's Ward area? I looked at a
>walkthrough that makes it seem as though this is supposed to be
>effortless, but I can't do it. I haven't experimented with this
>exhaustively, and I haven't successfully beaten the UnderSigil area
>yet. It's hard to put a lot of effort into it when you think a bug
>might be halting your progress.

Now when you leave an area, you should see the map of where you've been,
and you should just be able to click on the Lower Ward.

Adam

"Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:
> It's a long time ago since I played PS:T, but IIRC there is a map which is
> useable after you have visited the Lower Ward for the first time. It should
> pop up when you move to a gate and click on the area transition spot.

Thanks. :) I really should have tried that. I guess I expected the
same thing to happen when I simply opened up the map, and it didn't.

Greg

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Well, to uncover something, I'd try this years comp entry in TADS 3, Square circle.

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate II, Might and Magic VI, and (now,
though I've only begun to play) Final Fantasy VII are among my
favorite computer games ever because of their fascinating plots. All
of them incorporate a large amount of combat, but the
exploration/discovery awards associated with the plot are seriously
cool, and all of them include sections of interactivity that I would
associate strongly with classic IF. They are also all huge, which is
something I love in the genre. Keep me entertained for two or three
months, and I will be SO much happier than a weekend! ...and I will
buy your sequels. Count on it.

Zork: Nemesis, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, the earlier graphical Zork game
(I can't remember its name), Syberia, and Syberia II are the only
non-combat IFesque graphical games that I've spent any real amount of
time playing. I've enjoyed/am enjoying (haven't completed Z:GI or
Syberia II) them all, but I can't help thinking that I find higher
replay value in the games that include combat.

On the other hand, almost all of the combat-inclusive games listed
above provide variety through different paths and storylines to follow
depending upon the player's decisions, but none of the non-combat
games do, which may be the primary source of the replay value.

Carolyn

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I posted about the "only" non-combat graphical IF games I'd played...
and then I suddenly realized that I'd totally forgotten about
struggling my way through King's Quest IV and The Black Cauldron, both
of which certainly count as non-combat graphical IF.

Oh well. Apparently I'm so happy that this is a weekend that I can't
remember anything else.

Carolyn