g: is not accessible incorrect function

After I connect my digital camera(DX7590) to my
computer running the Windows XP/SP2 operating system,
the camera transfers pictures, but I cannot
access the drive letter (G :\) associated with
the camera due to the following error

"G:\ is not accessible incorrect function".

I have local administrator rights to my standalone PC. If I
right click the G:\ drive I don't get
the "Sharing and Security" option like I do with
my other local disk drives. The G:\ is displayed
as a local disk! The ScanDisk 512M SD Card
works find because I can save pictures to it
when I take pictures from my camera. The SD card
is not locked. I have an Easyshare camera dock
6000 model.
In the past I was able to access my SD Card(G:\
drive) from My Computer(via the EasyShare camera
dock) like it was a local disk on my PC. I
haven't changed any settings to my knowledge.
Now whenever I click the G:\ drive, I get the
aforementioned error above.

Does anyone have a solution?
--
A. Smith
2 answers Last reply

    Have you tried restarting the computer with the camera connected? Is it a
    firewire connection?
    "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After I connect my digital camera(DX7590) to my
    > computer running the Windows XP/SP2 operating system,
    > the camera transfers pictures, but I cannot
    > access the drive letter (G :\) associated with
    > the camera due to the following error
    >
    > "G:\ is not accessible incorrect function".
    >
    > I have local administrator rights to my standalone PC. If I
    > right click the G:\ drive I don't get
    > the "Sharing and Security" option like I do with
    > my other local disk drives. The G:\ is displayed
    > as a local disk! The ScanDisk 512M SD Card
    > works find because I can save pictures to it
    > when I take pictures from my camera. The SD card
    > is not locked. I have an Easyshare camera dock
    > 6000 model.
    > In the past I was able to access my SD Card(G:\
    > drive) from My Computer(via the EasyShare camera
    > dock) like it was a local disk on my PC. I
    > haven't changed any settings to my knowledge.
    > Now whenever I click the G:\ drive, I get the
    > aforementioned error above.
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution?
    > --
    > A. Smith

    Yes I did try a restart with the camera connected. That didn't help.
    It's a USB 2.0 connection.

    The SD Card is not write protected. I uninstalled and reinstall the
    Kodak software via instructions from Kodak's web site. I reseated the
    SD card. I downloaded all the Windows updates for Windows XP via Windows
    Update. Additionally, I downloaded and installed the latest Kodak Easyshare
    software for my camera from Kodak's web site. Additionally, I changed the
    drive letters of my two CDRW drives, thus forcing the camera to automatically
    be assigned another drive letter(it gets D:\ now). I still have the same
    problem.

    It has to be something with the Windows XP Pro OS because
    when I connect the camera to my other PC running Windows 2000, I have no
    problem accessing the drive letter(via Windows Explorer) that gets assigned
    to my camera/SD card.

    I appreciate your continued help in this matter. If you need more details
    about my camera refer to the url below.
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml;jsessionid=50CIVGLKY5KHFFW4FAKHWEEW1YUEE4L4?pq-path=2797&Submit.x=36&Submit.y=12&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=3317

    --
    A. Smith

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Have you tried restarting the computer with the camera connected? Is it a
    > firewire connection?
    > "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After I connect my digital camera(DX7590) to my
    > > computer running the Windows XP/SP2 operating system,
    > > the camera transfers pictures, but I cannot
    > > access the drive letter (G :\) associated with
    > > the camera due to the following error
    > >
    > > "G:\ is not accessible incorrect function".
    > >
    > > I have local administrator rights to my standalone PC. If I
    > > right click the G:\ drive I don't get
    > > the "Sharing and Security" option like I do with
    > > my other local disk drives. The G:\ is displayed
    > > as a local disk! The ScanDisk 512M SD Card
    > > works find because I can save pictures to it
    > > when I take pictures from my camera. The SD card
    > > is not locked. I have an Easyshare camera dock
    > > 6000 model.
    > > In the past I was able to access my SD Card(G:\
    > > drive) from My Computer(via the EasyShare camera
    > > dock) like it was a local disk on my PC. I
    > > haven't changed any settings to my knowledge.
    > > Now whenever I click the G:\ drive, I get the
    > > aforementioned error above.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a solution?
    > > --
    > > A. Smith