Primary/Secondary Disk not found

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I have a dell 8200 with a 60 gig IBM Deskstar(2 1/2 years old). When i start the computer it tells me that primary disk 0 and secondary disk 1 not found, hit F1 to conitnue or F2 to enter setup.

When i hit F1 it boots right to windows and its business as usual

Drive is recognized in bios and in device manager. I also tried every jumper setting that was on the diagram but same thing happens. Very very frustrating.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and much thanks in advance

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try hitting F2 and detecting the drives in BIOS, save the results and exit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Well for some odd reason i cant get into the bios now.

Doesnt matter now anyway cause i used Tweakui to get rid of my login screen but instead it got rid of my name and not the screen and now i cant login at all.

Wish i wasnt so damn puter stupid

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
could b the ide cable fault, replace with a new one i would suggest (oops talking like Yoda I am again doing :) )

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol

have you tried the hard drive on another PC that is working ???
or
tried putting a hard drive that is def working into your PC ???

ahah... what series of HDD is it (model no.) ??? a HDD bios upgrade from the co. website could be your solution...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marneus on 09/30/04 01:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
UH OH, travel to the darkside i will not.LOL

I used to have 2 Drives in that computer but took the storage drive(no OS) out to put with my new rig. The drive with the os on my new rig is a raptor and since my old rig is not sata compatible, thats out of the question.

I could try unpluggin my raptor and putting in drive from other computer but am afraid.

Just as a reminder, i tried all the different jumper settings too. What about a driver. Would a driver help?

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger.

And for some odd reason, i cannot get into bios now. F2 wont do crap.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IDE doesnt need a driver to work (unless ur OS has forgotten what an IDE is for).. it wont boot into windows as the HW is different but it will be detectable in the bios (if u can get into the bios)

to test if ur bios is screwed, disconnect all drives & try the bios again... then try connecting 1 drive at a time (boot with 1 drive, then 2, then 3 etc & see when U run into problems)

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Well it finally works,woooohooooo!

I took the battery out for the hell of it, went in and reset everything and changed the boot sequence to cd rom first device(was floppy), and it boots right up.

Reason i couldnt get into the bios was the stupid ass smart office keyboard i was using. Changed keyboards and low and behold, i got right in.

Thanks again for all the help, it's very much appreciated.
If it wasnt for THG, i would be screwed.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A fancy keyboard & a el cheapo battery.. hmmm, what a combination... I think I will stick wit me bog-standard keyboard (lasted 6 years so far with no bother) no fancy bits... lol

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
At the time it looked kool and was cheap as hell, little did i know.Piece of crap. The battery is the factory one from Dell. Cant imagine how much they would charge for a replacement. You know, having it shipped from India and all. I just popped it out and put it back in to reset bios. Still workin.