partial ping...

Hi there,

I can't get a full response to pinging anywhere on the 'net.

When I do a "ping www.yahoo.com" for example it will return the IP address
of Yahoo and reply TTL on the first of 4 lines, but the following 3 gets
time outs.

I can't go anywhere on the web with that machine, so any ideas of how to fix
that one?

I've turned the firewall off just in case.

Thanks,

Gordon
4 answers Last reply
More about partial ping

    Have you tried replacing the network card?

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Gordon J. Rattray" <gords@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I can't get a full response to pinging anywhere on the 'net.
    >
    > When I do a "ping www.yahoo.com" for example it will return the IP address
    > of Yahoo and reply TTL on the first of 4 lines, but the following 3 gets
    > time outs.
    >
    > I can't go anywhere on the web with that machine, so any ideas of how to
    > fix
    > that one?
    >
    > I've turned the firewall off just in case.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

    Not all sites accept PING traffic. http://DslReports.Com does
    accept them for testing purposes. Can you Ping your DNS
    server and ISP's Gateway ?

    Could be an issue with your ISP or your TCP/IP settings. I would
    run a test on your network settings with:
    http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php
    Be sure to read the information available on each setting and don't
    make any setting changes without a System Image. This is an issue
    that can have many causes - Settings may not be the root cause.
    You didn't mention your connection method (ADSL, Cable or Dial
    up) so it's hard to provide more specific recommendations.

    "Gordon J. Rattray" <gords@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I can't get a full response to pinging anywhere on the 'net.
    >
    > When I do a "ping www.yahoo.com" for example it will return the IP address
    > of Yahoo and reply TTL on the first of 4 lines, but the following 3 gets
    > time outs.
    >
    > I can't go anywhere on the web with that machine, so any ideas of how to
    > fix
    > that one?
    >
    > I've turned the firewall off just in case.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

  3. Do not worry you can get the good ping test , through this site http://www.whoisxy.com/ping.aspx , It has the best information of IP address, IP address to domain, domain name to IP,and ping test to know the particular connection is online or not!!!!!
  4. Thanks teen23...

Yahoo Windows XP