firewall , Norton Anti-Virus and windows XP

Tags:
  • Norton
  • Firewalls
  • Antivirus
  • Windows XP
July 7, 2005 3:43:10 PM

I recently upgraded to the Norton Anti-Virus 2005 edition. I have always
trusted this Anti-Virus program but it turned off the windows XP firewall and
they tell me that I don't need it with their 2005 version because worms,
hackers, viruses etc. are stopped through their program. Anyone know anything
about this ? Obviously I want to be well protected.
Thanks for your help.

fred

More about : firewall norton anti virus windows

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:53:09 PM

"fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded to the Norton Anti-Virus 2005 edition. I have always
> trusted this Anti-Virus program but it turned off the windows XP firewall
> and
> they tell me that I don't need it with their 2005 version because worms,
> hackers, viruses etc. are stopped through their program. Anyone know
> anything
> about this ? Obviously I want to be well protected.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> fred

Norton has a lot of different packages, and some include their personal
firewall software. But I've never seen it turn anything off automatically;
it's always a choice. And I've seen plenty of computers with both the XP
firewall and some other one running at the same time to know that it's
certainly possible to do so.

Antivirus software alone does not provide the same protection as a firewall,
so that message is a bit suspicious.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:55:39 PM

You do not need two firewalls.

Having two firewalls running at the same time *can* cause problems.

Use Norton.

[[Q. Should I use both Internet Connection Firewall and a software firewall
from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home
computers, home networking, and small business networking scenarios.
Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with
connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall,
whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or different
software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer.]]

Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:73EC213D-2C22-4F6A-AC1F-D9C12DC3D13D@microsoft.com,
fred <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I recently upgraded to the Norton Anti-Virus 2005 edition. I have always
> trusted this Anti-Virus program but it turned off the windows XP firewall
> and they tell me that I don't need it with their 2005 version because
> worms, hackers, viruses etc. are stopped through their program. Anyone
> know anything about this ? Obviously I want to be well protected.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> fred
July 7, 2005 5:48:22 PM

Turn off the Internet Worm Protection in Norton and re-enable your firewall.
There should have been an option when you installed it to tell it *not* to
turn the firewall off.

Tom
"fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I recently upgraded to the Norton Anti-Virus 2005 edition. I have always
| trusted this Anti-Virus program but it turned off the windows XP firewall
and
| they tell me that I don't need it with their 2005 version because worms,
| hackers, viruses etc. are stopped through their program. Anyone know
anything
| about this ? Obviously I want to be well protected.
| Thanks for your help.
|
| fred
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:48:23 PM

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
> Turn off the Internet Worm Protection in Norton and re-enable your
> firewall.
> There should have been an option when you installed it to tell it *not* to
> turn the firewall off.
>
> Tom
> "fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I recently upgraded to the Norton Anti-Virus 2005 edition. I have always
> | trusted this Anti-Virus program but it turned off the windows XP
> firewall
> and
> | they tell me that I don't need it with their 2005 version because worms,
> | hackers, viruses etc. are stopped through their program. Anyone know
> anything
> | about this ? Obviously I want to be well protected.
> | Thanks for your help.
> |
> | fred

Fred, please disregard this advice. The firewall that is part of Windows
SP2 is only rudimentary firewall and offers no worm or outbound protection.
The firewall that ships with NIS2005 is a very robust firewall, is two way,
and offers far greater firewall protection than the Windows firewall. You do
not need to have the Windows firewall enabled.

Bobby
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:46:18 PM

"fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded to the Norton Anti-Virus 2005 edition. I have always
> trusted this Anti-Virus program but it turned off the windows XP firewall
> and
> they tell me that I don't need it with their 2005 version because worms,
> hackers, viruses etc. are stopped through their program. Anyone know
> anything
> about this ? Obviously I want to be well protected.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> fred

You'll get support from Norton with your new product, have you asked them
and what have they told you?
!