Sign in with
Your question

usb thumb drive recommendations

Last response: in Components
September 27, 2004 12:38:52 AM

I'm looking for a good, rugged USB thumb drive. The two main issues are it should be bootable and it should work on all front ports. I've read about a few thumb drives who fail on front ports, most likely because they're usb 1.1. The thing is, though, most, if not all, thumb drives are backward compatible with usb 1.1 (but NOT 1.0 as far as I know). It boils down to how much current usb thumb drive X draws. Actually, that is the most important factor: How much does the recommended usb thumb drive eat? I believe 500 mA is the maximum amount for the usb 2.0 specification. I've read user reviews about sandisk mini and titanium models where people are frustrated with the devices not working on chieftec and antec front ports and some even malfunctioning on usb 1.1 rear ports on labtops, for example.

Thank you.
May 19, 2009 8:06:06 PM

poly4life said:
I'm looking for a good, rugged USB thumb drive. The two main issues are it should be bootable and it should work on all front ports. I've read about a few thumb drives who fail on front ports, most likely because they're usb 1.1. The thing is, though, most, if not all, thumb drives are backward compatible with usb 1.1 (but NOT 1.0 as far as I know). It boils down to how much current usb thumb drive X draws. Actually, that is the most important factor: How much does the recommended usb thumb drive eat? I believe 500 mA is the maximum amount for the usb 2.0 specification. I've read user reviews about sandisk mini and titanium models where people are frustrated with the devices not working on chieftec and antec front ports and some even malfunctioning on usb 1.1 rear ports on labtops, for example.

Thank you.

Don't forget that if you store important Data on your Thumb Drive, make sure you back it and also don't
forget about the warranty
!