Unwanted multiple boot screen

After 4 years of usage adding/removing programs, my Win XP had slowed down to
a crawl on startup, so I bit the bullet and did a fresh Win XP installation
from my original system disks, and performed all updates including sp-2. The
system works fine, but on boot-up, it takes me to a selection page to choose
the installation of "Windows XP Home edition" I want to start with. Now, I
only have one operating system installed on my C drive (not partitioned), and
D drive is all data storage. If I don't make a choice, it counts down for 30
seconds and then chooses the first choice, and I boot into Windows. If I
click the second choice, which also says "windows xp home edition", I get an
error message saying problem finding the operating system on the hard drive.
I tried deleting the second example of "windows" from the boot.ini file. That
stopped the multiple boot screen from appearing, but it takes a long time for
windows to then startup. Is it waiting 30 seconds behind the scene? Here is
my original boot.ini file that I had with the problem (before I edited it)
Thanks for any help:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
4 answers Last reply
More about unwanted multiple boot screen

    Set the timeout to 0 and/or remove

    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect

    Why are you using the switch /noexecute=optin?

    This probably won't help your boot time. For that is it holding up at
    Preparing Network Connections?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "wedodesign" <wedodesign@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After 4 years of usage adding/removing programs, my Win XP had slowed down
    > a crawl on startup, so I bit the bullet and did a fresh Win XP
    installation
    > from my original system disks, and performed all updates including sp-2.
    The
    > system works fine, but on boot-up, it takes me to a selection page to
    choose
    > the installation of "Windows XP Home edition" I want to start with. Now, I
    > only have one operating system installed on my C drive (not partitioned),
    and
    > D drive is all data storage. If I don't make a choice, it counts down for
    30
    > seconds and then chooses the first choice, and I boot into Windows. If I
    > click the second choice, which also says "windows xp home edition", I get
    an
    > error message saying problem finding the operating system on the hard
    drive.
    > I tried deleting the second example of "windows" from the boot.ini file.
    That
    > stopped the multiple boot screen from appearing, but it takes a long time
    for
    > windows to then startup. Is it waiting 30 seconds behind the scene? Here
    is
    > my original boot.ini file that I had with the problem (before I edited
    it)
    > Thanks for any help:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect

    Hi,

    Change timeout=30 to timeout=0

    Timeout= seconds
    Specifies the number of seconds that the startup menu is displayed
    before the operating system specified in the default= line is loaded.

    * If you set this value to 0, Ntldr immediately starts the default
    operating system without displaying the bootstrap loader screen.
    * If you set this value to -1, Ntldr displays the menu
    indefinitely unless you make a choice.

    Microsoft Windows XP - Reviewing and Correcting Boot.ini Settings on
    x86-based Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp?frame=true

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    wedodesign wrote:
    > After 4 years of usage adding/removing programs, my Win
    > XP had slowed down to a crawl on startup, so I bit the
    > bullet and did a fresh Win XP installation from my
    > original system disks, and performed all updates
    > including sp-2. The system works fine, but on boot-up, it
    > takes me to a selection page to choose the installation
    > of "Windows XP Home edition" I want to start with. Now, I
    > only have one operating system installed on my C drive
    > (not partitioned), and D drive is all data storage. If I
    > don't make a choice, it counts down for 30 seconds and
    > then chooses the first choice, and I boot into Windows.
    > If I click the second choice, which also says "windows xp
    > home edition", I get an error message saying problem
    > finding the operating system on the hard drive. I tried
    > deleting the second example of "windows" from the
    > boot.ini file. That stopped the multiple boot screen from
    > appearing, but it takes a long time for windows to then
    > startup. Is it waiting 30 seconds behind the scene? Here
    > is my original boot.ini file that I had with the problem
    > (before I edited it) Thanks for any help:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
    > Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
    > Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

    XP SP2 adds it.

    /noexecute=OptIn

    OptIn
    This setting is the default configuration. On systems with processors that
    can implement hardware-enforced DEP, DEP is enabled by default for limited
    system binaries and programs that "opt-in." With this option, only Windows
    system binaries are covered by DEP by default.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eE2sgyygFHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Set the timeout to 0 and/or remove
    >
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    >
    > Why are you using the switch /noexecute=optin?
    >
    > This probably won't help your boot time. For that is it holding up at
    > Preparing Network Connections?
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "wedodesign" <wedodesign@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> After 4 years of usage adding/removing programs, my Win XP had slowed
    >> down to a crawl on startup, so I bit the bullet and did a fresh Win XP
    >> installation from my original system disks, and performed all updates
    >> including sp-2. The system works fine, but on boot-up, it takes me to a
    >> selection page to choose the installation of "Windows XP Home edition" I
    >> want to start with. Now, I only have one operating system installed on
    >> my C drive (not partitioned), and D drive is all data storage. If I
    >> don't make a choice, it counts down for 30 seconds and then chooses the
    >> first choice, and I boot into Windows. If I click the second choice,
    >> which also says "windows xp home edition", I get an error message saying
    >> problem finding the operating system on the hard drive. I tried deleting
    >> the second example of "windows" from the boot.ini file. That stopped the
    >> multiple boot screen from appearing, but it takes a long time for
    >> windows to then startup. Is it waiting 30 seconds behind the scene? Here
    >> is my original boot.ini file that I had with the problem (before I
    >> edited it) Thanks for any help:
    >>
    >> [boot loader]
    >> timeout=30
    >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >> [operating systems]
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    >> Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    >> Edition" /fastdetect

    Bert you can set the timout to anything you want if there is no more than
    one entry under [operating systems]. It is ignored if that is the case.

    --
    George Hester

Boot Windows XP