Full Hardware Upgrade Without Losing Anything On The HDD

We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.
23 answers Last reply
More about full hardware upgrade losing

    KingB wrote:

    > We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
    > running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
    > reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
    > losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
    > Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
    > windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
    > previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
    > or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.

    Too risky without having the source file for the very, very
    critical program. And this method of imaging to another system
    works best only with idential, twin machines.

    If there is no reason to do any work on the present computer,
    then leave it alone. And, re-think backup strategy and what to
    do in the event there is a catastrophic incident involving it.
    IOW, the program cannot be that "very, very critical" if there
    is no longer the means to re-install it.

    Thank you. Unfortunately, the disc was missing long before I came to work at
    this company. It's just another problem from a previous IT person who was
    obviously not careful and I am trying to figure out a solution. It looks
    like we will just leave that computer untouched and give the guy a whole new
    computer along with a kvm switch. Thank you both for responses.

    "Ghostrider" wrote:

    > KingB wrote:
    >
    > > We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
    > > running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
    > > reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
    > > losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
    > > Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
    > > windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
    > > previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
    > > or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.
    >

    > Too risky without having the source file for the very, very
    > critical program. And this method of imaging to another system
    > works best only with idential, twin machines.
    >
    > If there is no reason to do any work on the present computer,
    > then leave it alone. And, re-think backup strategy and what to
    > do in the event there is a catastrophic incident involving it.
    > IOW, the program cannot be that "very, very critical" if there
    > is no longer the means to re-install it.

    is it legal to be running a critical program w/o the CD?

    some support

    "KingB" <KingB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one
    particular computer
    | running a very very critical program that we do not have
    the disc to
    | reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new
    computer without
    | losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are
    thinking about
    | Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton
    Ghost, or doing a
    | windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows
    install detects a
    | previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone
    have any suggestions
    | or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you
    very much in advance.

    We purchased the program and it is licensed. Noone knows where the original
    CD is. It is a phone monitoring program named Tapit.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Tapit

    KingB wrote:

    > We purchased the program and it is licensed. Noone knows where the original
    > CD is. It is a phone monitoring program named Tapit.
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    >

    >>is it legal to be running a critical program w/o the CD?
    >>

    >>--
    >>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >>http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >>"KingB" <KingB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>| We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one
    >>particular computer
    >>| running a very very critical program that we do not have
    >>the disc to
    >>| reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new
    >>computer without
    >>| losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are
    >>thinking about
    >>| Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton
    >>Ghost, or doing a
    >>| windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows
    >>install detects a
    >>| previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone
    >>have any suggestions
    >>| or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you
    >>very much in advance.

    If this software is so critical why not contact the Trisys to see if
    they can provide your company with a replacement CD?

    http://www.trisys.com/tapit.htm

    Perhaps you can find the program's author and replace the
    CD.

    TRISYS offers TAPIT and TALITY- the best in telephone call
    .... Trisys offers TAPIT and TALITY - the best in telephone
    call accounting software products.
    www.trisys.com/ - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

    TAPIT - Best in Telephone Call Accounting. on your
    telephone system, TAPIT EX now supports additional fields:
    IP addresses, ... TAPIT EX and TAPIT Remote Manager can
    process text files multiple times ...
    www.trisys.com/tapit.htm - 31k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    KingB wrote:
    > We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
    > running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
    > reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
    > losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
    > Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
    > windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
    > previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
    > or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.

    The simplest course of action, by far, would be to contact the maker of
    that "critical program" and obtain replacement installation media. This
    should require little more effort than a phone call and perhaps a fax of
    proof of purchase.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In article <1568CAAA-BEA2-4C09-A530-76F93EBAA84B@microsoft.com>,
    KingB@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
    > running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
    > reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
    > losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
    > Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
    > windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
    > previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
    > or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.

    Make a ghost image of the full drive, burn image to DVD's or other media
    so that you start with a good backup of the drive.

    If already running XP, then restore image to new machine, boot if
    possible, if not boot using the repair/reinstall option so that you
    don't lose anything.

    Last option, which is really the first option - contact the vendor and
    get a new install CD and proper method to backup the machine.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Does Ghost require the same hardware as the original?? We are upgrading all
    the hardware.

    In article <F89019D4-A1D6-44BA-BC79-219B10974BA9@microsoft.com>,
    KingB@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Does Ghost require the same hardware as the original?? We are upgrading all
    > the hardware.

    Ghost is just to make an EXACT copy of the source drive (you can resize
    partitions when you make the copy). It has nothing to do with the
    upgrade.

    The reason for the image of the drive is so that you can leave the
    source computer and it's applications alone, completely in-tact, and do
    the upgrade with a second exact copy without fear of losing all your
    data.

    The process for moving from one hardware to another hardware is already
    documented on the MS site, but you've not give much in the way of info
    on what you are moving from and too.

    In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
    to another is always a problem and seldom works well.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:

    <snip>

    > In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
    > to another is always a problem and seldom works well.

    Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    kurttrail wrote:

    > Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.

    At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
    in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
    very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}

    Ghostrider wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote:
    >

    >> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
    >>

    > At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
    > in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
    > very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}

    LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a repair
    install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I couldn't move
    XP from and to.

    And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one computer to
    another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that moving "from one
    radically different platform
    to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
    unskilled you are.

    --

    In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    > > In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
    > > to another is always a problem and seldom works well.
    >
    > Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.

    Or you lack enough experience to know any better.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    > dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
    >> Leythos wrote:
    >>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> > In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
    >> > to another is always a problem and seldom works well.
    >>
    >> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
    >
    > Or you lack enough experience to know any better.

    Now, now children. Wasn't it more fun when you guys were attacking me rather
    than fighting amongst yourselves?

    NoStop wrote:
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    >> dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
    >>> Leythos wrote:
    >>>

    >>> <snip>

    >>> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
    >>
    >> Or you lack enough experience to know any better.
    >>
    > Now, now children. Wasn't it more fun when you guys were attacking me
    > rather than fighting amongst yourselves?

    The few times we were not on opposite sides was when he was hopped up on
    percacets.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Used this method several times with success:
    http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html

    kurttrail wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >>Leythos wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    >>>dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...

    >>>Or you lack enough experience to know any better.
    >>>

    >>Now, now children. Wasn't it more fun when you guys were attacking me
    >>rather than fighting amongst yourselves?
    >

    > The few times we were not on opposite sides was when he was hopped up on
    > percacets.

    LOL!

    Steve

    In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
    > Ghostrider wrote:
    > > kurttrail wrote:
    > >

    > >> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
    > >>

    > > At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
    > > in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
    > > very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
    >
    > LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a repair
    > install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I couldn't move
    > XP from and to.
    >
    > And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one computer to
    > another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that moving "from one
    > radically different platform
    > to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
    > unskilled you are.

    So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it worked,
    even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.

    At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
    backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and using
    the image to migrate is the proper method - leaves a 100% viable machine
    still working instead of taking a serious risk of killing it and not
    having a backup.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    > dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
    >> Ghostrider wrote:

    >>> At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
    >>> in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
    >>> very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
    >>
    >> LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a
    >> repair install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I
    >> couldn't move XP from and to.
    >>
    >> And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one
    >> computer to another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that
    >> moving "from one radically different platform
    >> to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
    >> unskilled you are.
    >
    > So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it
    > worked, even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.

    Well that is your problem. Following MS's suggestions.

    Like I said, if your experience is that moving an install from one
    computer to another fails more often than not, then that shows how
    unskilled you are, especially with NT5.x.

    > At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
    > backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and
    > using the image to migrate is the proper method - leaves a 100%
    > viable machine still working instead of taking a serious risk of
    > killing it and not having a backup.

    LOL! You say that like I recommended no back up.
    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    > dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
    >
    >>Ghostrider wrote:

    >>>At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
    >>>in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
    >>>very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
    >>
    >>LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a repair
    >>install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I couldn't move
    >>XP from and to.
    >>
    >>And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one computer to
    >>another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that moving "from one
    >>radically different platform
    >>to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
    >>unskilled you are.
    >

    > So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it worked,
    > even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.
    >
    > At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
    > backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and using
    > the image to migrate is the proper method

    Is *one* proper method. There are several ways to backup, imaging is
    only one, a good one, but certainly not the only one.

    > - leaves a 100% viable machine
    > still working instead of taking a serious risk of killing it and not
    > having a backup.

    I didn't see anyone recommend to *not* backup. You're shooting
    rubber-bands at ghosts.

    Steve
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    LOL. I'd like to try that with one of the executive's PCs. Hi, I'm Beavis and
    I'm here to do a full hardware upgrade to your PC but I'm not gonna back
    anything up first. I'll just wing it and see what happens although, I am
    going to follow all of microsoft's suggestions.
    --

    "kurttrail" wrote:

    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    > > dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...

    > >> LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a
    > >> repair install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I
    > >> couldn't move XP from and to.
    > >>
    > >> And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one
    > >> computer to another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that
    > >> moving "from one radically different platform
    > >> to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
    > >> unskilled you are.
    > >
    > > So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it
    > > worked, even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.
    >
    > Well that is your problem. Following MS's suggestions.
    >
    > Like I said, if your experience is that moving an install from one
    > computer to another fails more often than not, then that shows how
    > unskilled you are, especially with NT5.x.
    >
    > > At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
    > > backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and
    > > using the image to migrate is the proper method - leaves a 100%
    > > viable machine still working instead of taking a serious risk of
    > > killing it and not having a backup.
    >
    > LOL! You say that like I recommended no back up.
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator