Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Full Hardware Upgrade Without Losing Anything On The HDD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:52:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:10:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

KingB wrote:

> We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
> running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
> reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
> losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
> Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
> windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
> previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
> or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.


Too risky without having the source file for the very, very
critical program. And this method of imaging to another system
works best only with idential, twin machines.

If there is no reason to do any work on the present computer,
then leave it alone. And, re-think backup strategy and what to
do in the event there is a catastrophic incident involving it.
IOW, the program cannot be that "very, very critical" if there
is no longer the means to re-install it.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thank you. Unfortunately, the disc was missing long before I came to work at
this company. It's just another problem from a previous IT person who was
obviously not careful and I am trying to figure out a solution. It looks
like we will just leave that computer untouched and give the guy a whole new
computer along with a kvm switch. Thank you both for responses.

"Ghostrider" wrote:

>
> KingB wrote:
>
> > We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
> > running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
> > reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
> > losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
> > Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
> > windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
> > previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
> > or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.
>
>
> Too risky without having the source file for the very, very
> critical program. And this method of imaging to another system
> works best only with idential, twin machines.
>
> If there is no reason to do any work on the present computer,
> then leave it alone. And, re-think backup strategy and what to
> do in the event there is a catastrophic incident involving it.
> IOW, the program cannot be that "very, very critical" if there
> is no longer the means to re-install it.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 6:59:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

is it legal to be running a critical program w/o the CD?


--
The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
some support
http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm



"KingB" <KingB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1568CAAA-BEA2-4C09-A530-76F93EBAA84B@microsoft.com...
| We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one
particular computer
| running a very very critical program that we do not have
the disc to
| reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new
computer without
| losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are
thinking about
| Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton
Ghost, or doing a
| windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows
install detects a
| previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone
have any suggestions
| or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you
very much in advance.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 6:59:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We purchased the program and it is licensed. Noone knows where the original
CD is. It is a phone monitoring program named Tapit.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> is it legal to be running a critical program w/o the CD?
>
>
> --
> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>
>
>
> "KingB" <KingB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1568CAAA-BEA2-4C09-A530-76F93EBAA84B@microsoft.com...
> | We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one
> particular computer
> | running a very very critical program that we do not have
> the disc to
> | reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new
> computer without
> | losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are
> thinking about
> | Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton
> Ghost, or doing a
> | windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows
> install detects a
> | previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone
> have any suggestions
> | or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you
> very much in advance.
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:35:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Tapit

KingB wrote:

> We purchased the program and it is licensed. Noone knows where the original
> CD is. It is a phone monitoring program named Tapit.
>
> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
>
>>is it legal to be running a critical program w/o the CD?
>>
>>
>>--
>>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>> some support
>>http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>>
>>
>>
>>"KingB" <KingB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>news:1568CAAA-BEA2-4C09-A530-76F93EBAA84B@microsoft.com...
>>| We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one
>>particular computer
>>| running a very very critical program that we do not have
>>the disc to
>>| reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new
>>computer without
>>| losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are
>>thinking about
>>| Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton
>>Ghost, or doing a
>>| windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows
>>install detects a
>>| previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone
>>have any suggestions
>>| or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you
>>very much in advance.
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:05:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If this software is so critical why not contact the Trisys to see if
they can provide your company with a replacement CD?

http://www.trisys.com/tapit.htm
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:30:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Perhaps you can find the program's author and replace the
CD.

TRISYS offers TAPIT and TALITY- the best in telephone call
.... Trisys offers TAPIT and TALITY - the best in telephone
call accounting software products.
www.trisys.com/ - 42k - Cached - Similar pages


TAPIT - Best in Telephone Call Accounting. on your
telephone system, TAPIT EX now supports additional fields:
IP addresses, ... TAPIT EX and TAPIT Remote Manager can
process text files multiple times ...
www.trisys.com/tapit.htm - 31k - Cached - Similar
pages





--
The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
some support
http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm




"KingB" <KingB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D F20C82E-EEAE-4E18-8042-AB357F3753AF@microsoft.com...
| We purchased the program and it is licensed. Noone knows
where the original
| CD is. It is a phone monitoring program named Tapit.
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > is it legal to be running a critical program w/o the CD?
| >
| >
| > --
| > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| > some support
| > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| >
| >
| >
| > "KingB" <KingB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| >
news:1568CAAA-BEA2-4C09-A530-76F93EBAA84B@microsoft.com...
| > | We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have
one
| > particular computer
| > | running a very very critical program that we do not
have
| > the disc to
| > | reinstall that program. How can I give this person a
new
| > computer without
| > | losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We
are
| > thinking about
| > | Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton
| > Ghost, or doing a
| > | windows repair instead of a new install (when the
windows
| > install detects a
| > | previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does
anyone
| > have any suggestions
| > | or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank
you
| > very much in advance.
| >
| >
| >
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:23:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

KingB wrote:
> We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
> running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
> reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
> losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
> Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
> windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
> previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
> or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.


The simplest course of action, by far, would be to contact the maker of
that "critical program" and obtain replacement installation media. This
should require little more effort than a phone call and perhaps a fax of
proof of purchase.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <1568CAAA-BEA2-4C09-A530-76F93EBAA84B@microsoft.com>,
KingB@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
> running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
> reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
> losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
> Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
> windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
> previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
> or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.

Make a ghost image of the full drive, burn image to DVD's or other media
so that you start with a good backup of the drive.

If already running XP, then restore image to new machine, boot if
possible, if not boot using the repair/reinstall option so that you
don't lose anything.

Last option, which is really the first option - contact the vendor and
get a new install CD and proper method to backup the machine.

--
--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:15:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Does Ghost require the same hardware as the original?? We are upgrading all
the hardware.

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <1568CAAA-BEA2-4C09-A530-76F93EBAA84B@microsoft.com>,
> KingB@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > We are rebuilding all the computers at work. We have one particular computer
> > running a very very critical program that we do not have the disc to
> > reinstall that program. How can I give this person a new computer without
> > losing any info or programs on the current setup?? We are thinking about
> > Windows XP Backup Utility, Acronis Imaging or Norton Ghost, or doing a
> > windows repair instead of a new install (when the windows install detects a
> > previous version and hit 'R' to repair)... Does anyone have any suggestions
> > or has anyone done this successfully before?? Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Make a ghost image of the full drive, burn image to DVD's or other media
> so that you start with a good backup of the drive.
>
> If already running XP, then restore image to new machine, boot if
> possible, if not boot using the repair/reinstall option so that you
> don't lose anything.
>
> Last option, which is really the first option - contact the vendor and
> get a new install CD and proper method to backup the machine.
>
> --
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:16:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <F89019D4-A1D6-44BA-BC79-219B10974BA9@microsoft.com>,
KingB@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Does Ghost require the same hardware as the original?? We are upgrading all
> the hardware.

Ghost is just to make an EXACT copy of the source drive (you can resize
partitions when you make the copy). It has nothing to do with the
upgrade.

The reason for the image of the drive is so that you can leave the
source computer and it's applications alone, completely in-tact, and do
the upgrade with a second exact copy without fear of losing all your
data.

The process for moving from one hardware to another hardware is already
documented on the MS site, but you've not give much in the way of info
on what you are moving from and too.

In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
to another is always a problem and seldom works well.


--
--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:16:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Leythos wrote:


<snip>

> In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
> to another is always a problem and seldom works well.

Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:16:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

kurttrail wrote:


> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>

At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:16:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ghostrider wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>
>> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>>
>
> At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
> in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
> very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}

LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a repair
install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I couldn't move
XP from and to.

And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one computer to
another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that moving "from one
radically different platform
to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
unskilled you are.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:47:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
> Leythos wrote:
>
>
> <snip>
>
> > In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
> > to another is always a problem and seldom works well.
>
> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.

Or you lack enough experience to know any better.

--
--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:09:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Leythos wrote:

> In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
> dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>>
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > In my experience, trying to move from one radically different platform
>> > to another is always a problem and seldom works well.
>>
>> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>
> Or you lack enough experience to know any better.
>
Now, now children. Wasn't it more fun when you guys were attacking me rather
than fighting amongst yourselves?
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:09:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

NoStop wrote:
> Leythos wrote:
>
>> In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
>> dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
>>> Leythos wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>>> In my experience, trying to move from one radically different
>>>> platform to another is always a problem and seldom works well.
>>>
>>> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>>
>> Or you lack enough experience to know any better.
>>
> Now, now children. Wasn't it more fun when you guys were attacking me
> rather than fighting amongst yourselves?

The few times we were not on opposite sides was when he was hopped up on
percacets.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 8:49:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Used this method several times with success:
http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html

Ghostrider wrote:
>
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>
>> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>>
>
> At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
> in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
> very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:00:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

kurttrail wrote:
> NoStop wrote:
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>
>>
>>>In article <ubi65R1gFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
>>>dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
>>>
>>>>Leythos wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> <snip>
>>>>
>>>>>In my experience, trying to move from one radically different
>>>>>platform to another is always a problem and seldom works well.
>>>>
>>>>Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>>>
>>>Or you lack enough experience to know any better.
>>>
>>
>>Now, now children. Wasn't it more fun when you guys were attacking me
>>rather than fighting amongst yourselves?
>
>
> The few times we were not on opposite sides was when he was hopped up on
> percacets.
>

LOL!

Steve
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:26:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
> Ghostrider wrote:
> > kurttrail wrote:
> >
> >
> >> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
> >>
> >
> > At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
> > in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
> > very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
>
> LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a repair
> install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I couldn't move
> XP from and to.
>
> And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one computer to
> another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that moving "from one
> radically different platform
> to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
> unskilled you are.

So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it worked,
even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.

At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and using
the image to migrate is the proper method - leaves a 100% viable machine
still working instead of taking a serious risk of killing it and not
having a backup.

--
--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Leythos wrote:
> In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
>> Ghostrider wrote:
>>> kurttrail wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>>>>
>>>
>>> At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
>>> in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
>>> very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
>>
>> LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a
>> repair install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I
>> couldn't move XP from and to.
>>
>> And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one
>> computer to another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that
>> moving "from one radically different platform
>> to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
>> unskilled you are.
>
> So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it
> worked, even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.

Well that is your problem. Following MS's suggestions.

Like I said, if your experience is that moving an install from one
computer to another fails more often than not, then that shows how
unskilled you are, especially with NT5.x.

> At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
> backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and
> using the image to migrate is the proper method - leaves a 100%
> viable machine still working instead of taking a serious risk of
> killing it and not having a backup.

LOL! You say that like I recommended no back up.
--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Leythos wrote:

> In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
>
>>Ghostrider wrote:
>>
>>>kurttrail wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
>>>>
>>>
>>>At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
>>>in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
>>>very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
>>
>>LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a repair
>>install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I couldn't move
>>XP from and to.
>>
>>And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one computer to
>>another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that moving "from one
>>radically different platform
>>to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
>>unskilled you are.
>
>
> So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it worked,
> even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.
>
> At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
> backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and using
> the image to migrate is the proper method

Is *one* proper method. There are several ways to backup, imaging is
only one, a good one, but certainly not the only one.

> - leaves a 100% viable machine
> still working instead of taking a serious risk of killing it and not
> having a backup.
>

I didn't see anyone recommend to *not* backup. You're shooting
rubber-bands at ghosts.

Steve
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:31:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

LOL. I'd like to try that with one of the executive's PCs. Hi, I'm Beavis and
I'm here to do a full hardware upgrade to your PC but I'm not gonna back
anything up first. I'll just wing it and see what happens although, I am
going to follow all of microsoft's suggestions.
--

"kurttrail" wrote:

> Leythos wrote:
> > In article <uQpnfT2gFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> > dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
> >> Ghostrider wrote:
> >>> kurttrail wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> Then you obviously don't know what you are doing.
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>> At some point in time, the law of diminishing returns kick
> >>> in and spending hours doing Windows Registry diving is not
> >>> very constructive although highly instructive. <:-}}
> >>
> >> LOL! With some common sense preparation before the move, and a
> >> repair install after moving, there is hardly a windows PC that I
> >> couldn't move XP from and to.
> >>
> >> And I've successfully moved 98, NT4, and Windows 2K from one
> >> computer to another too. If your experience is like Lameboy, that
> >> moving "from one radically different platform
> >> to another . . . . seldom works well," then I'd say that shows how
> >> unskilled you are.
> >
> > So have I, but I've also seen it fail to work more times that it
> > worked, even following MS's suggestions on how to do it.
>
> Well that is your problem. Following MS's suggestions.
>
> Like I said, if your experience is that moving an install from one
> computer to another fails more often than not, then that shows how
> unskilled you are, especially with NT5.x.
>
> > At the same time, to even start something like that without a workable
> > backup is foolish based on the op's situation. A ghosted image and
> > using the image to migrate is the proper method - leaves a 100%
> > viable machine still working instead of taking a serious risk of
> > killing it and not having a backup.
>
> LOL! You say that like I recommended no back up.
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>
>
>
!