Unable to install Win XP

ovoco5

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Hello all,
I’ve just bought a new hard drive. It’s a Maxtor Diamondmax 80 gig drive. The problem I have isn’t just with this drive but the one I currently am running.
My rig is as follows:
Windows XP home edition
512 MB Crucial DDR 400MHZ CL3
AMD 1800 CPU
MSI Nforce2 K7N2 Main board
The problem I get is that when I’ve tried to install Windows XP on the new HDD I get the message “THE FILE ACPI.SYS IS CORRUPTED PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE”.
Well I thought the problem may have been with my older HDD so I bought a new one, however the same problem is happening. It appears just as Windows XP starts coping over it’s files to the HDD.
Remedies I’ve tried are, 1. setting the bios to safe mode, 2. swapping over different memory sticks, 3. Formatting the HDD and 4. pressing the F5 key whilst Windows XP is setting up for installation and selecting a different HAL config.

I really can’t understand what is causing this to happen at all and am mystified.

As ever any help would be very much appreciated.

RichPLS

Champion
Whatever HD controller you have on that board, try downloading the XP device drivers, and hitting F6 upon booting from XP disk. Then install your drivers from floppy.
Hope this helps.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

ovoco5

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I'm not sure how to do what was mentioned above, but I would like to know, if you have the time to email me.

I've now managed to fix this problem by using a different drive. Maybe the drive I was using was too fast? The one that wasn't working (for installing only) is a dvd drive, the one that did work is a CD burner.

Thanks

G