XP Home and Scheduled Task

Scenario:
- Try to schedule task in XP Home using the Administrator account WITH a
password. All User account have no password for ease of use... so
Administrator account has password set for Scheduled Task usage and such.

- When scheduled task is set up (Spybot scan or whatever)... eventually it
request an account name and password. When "Administrator" is entered and the
current password for the Administrator account.... an error is displayed.

- I have tried setting this up logged in as Administrator AND I have tried
to use "<machine name>\Administrator" and password AND I have tried to use
"SYSTEM\Administrator" and password... but they all fail complaining about
the account or access is denied.

The only way I can get this to work in XP Home is to create another User
account with Admin privs AND a password and use it... and it works. I then
have to modify the registry to hide the account so it will not show at the
login screen since it is only a single purpose account.

Any ideas or suggestions on a resolution? I have Googled this to death with
no luck. It seems the Administrator account should be able to be used.

Thanks for any feedback
QA
1 answer Last reply
More about home scheduled task

    Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:

    For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
    This is enabled by default, disable it.

    For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)

    Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "QA" <QA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Scenario:
    > - Try to schedule task in XP Home using the Administrator account WITH a
    > password. All User account have no password for ease of use... so
    > Administrator account has password set for Scheduled Task usage and such.
    >
    > - When scheduled task is set up (Spybot scan or whatever)... eventually it
    > request an account name and password. When "Administrator" is entered and
    > the
    > current password for the Administrator account.... an error is displayed.
    >
    > - I have tried setting this up logged in as Administrator AND I have
    > tried
    > to use "<machine name>\Administrator" and password AND I have tried to use
    > "SYSTEM\Administrator" and password... but they all fail complaining about
    > the account or access is denied.
    >
    > The only way I can get this to work in XP Home is to create another User
    > account with Admin privs AND a password and use it... and it works. I then
    > have to modify the registry to hide the account so it will not show at the
    > login screen since it is only a single purpose account.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions on a resolution? I have Googled this to death
    > with
    > no luck. It seems the Administrator account should be able to be used.
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback
    > QA

Microsoft Windows XP