About Ninja v1.30:

I must admit I wrote Ninja v1.30 very quickly. I also wrote this Ninja
to be as weird and confusing as possible. Why? I wanted the player to
explore the game, even if it didn't make sense (or still had some
bugs). In contrast to 'HLA Adventure' and 'Westfront PC', I spent very
little time debugging and coding this game. However, I still wanted it
to be unusual enough to spark others' interest in the history of
shinto, ninjas and ancient japan. Perhaps, even as bad as this game
was/is, other coders will write more ninja-themed games. There can
never be enough ninja-themed games, in my opinion.

There are some very unusual things implemented (at least for most of
my games). You can chop down a tree to cross the river, enter the
shrine and fight ninjas that walk out of the shadows. The game also
requires the player to examine the sky, including the clouds,
mountains, etc. The more the player examines, the more points he/she
is awarded. The more points they are awarded, the greater the
likelihood the player will be rewarded. If the player has enough
points added up when the ninja appears, he/she should be able to fight
the ninja with a fair chance of winning. Otherwise, the ninja doesn't
waste any time and doesn't give the player a chance to defeat him.

The goal of the game is to retrieve an idol from a rival shrine. I did
neglect to include the 'enter' command into the verb list, but
fortunately, that was intentional (e.g. I wanted the player to not
rely so much on the supplied verb list, but to try a fer verbs until
the command worked; in my opinion, some of the magic of an adventure
game comes in trying out various verbs and finding the right
combination).

The score is indeed based on examining the world, making certain
choices and not making incorrect ones. The ">20" is not debugging
code, as was suggested previously, but an indication that the player
is 20 (or more) points below the threshold for avoiding the ninja. If
the player continues to see the ">20" message, the ninja (should be)
more likely to engage the player in combat.

This game, written very quickly, does have some glaring bugs. The
scoring system is a bit weird: I don't know why it applies a greater
score than what is possible at the end (e.g. "101/9" and other
variations). Also, for some reason I forgot to reset the HP if the
player falls in combat and restarts the game (e.g. -29 HP, to the
ninja's 0).

Nevertheless, I enjoyed writing a game based on a new theme (for me),
rather than the overused "Westfront PC" style that I've probably used
for 95% of my games since 1993. Color-coded inventory was nice in
1993, but I am now tired of writing games based on that schema. I
wanted the storyline to be unique enough, but not rely so much on my
past games.

I must admit an affinity and love for late-1970's and early-1980's era
adventure games. I have coded all of my adventure games to be playable
in that vein. Long room descriptions are not usually a part of my
adventures (although some of my Commodore 64/128 adventures have much
longer descriptions than what I usually implement).

I have also played MUDs extensively, and add in MUD-like combat as a
twist. Most text adventures do not feature MUD-like combat, and that
is why I added that in (plus, I always loved playing MUDs and Dungeons
& Dragons).

"Ninja" has some interesting themes, but can no doubt be expanded upon
(and heavily improved). The game was written in QuickBASIC, rather
than HLA (High Level Assembly) or C. Most of my other games were
written in PowerBASIC's Console Compiler for Windows (e.g. "Westfront
PC").

Sincerely,

Paul Allen Panks
dunric@yahoo.com

I replied once, but it didn't appear. This happened before, so it's possible
both may show up later (although later messages appeared instantly). So here
goes, a second time:

"Paul Allen Panks" <dunric@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I must admit I wrote Ninja v1.30 very quickly.

Hi, Paul,

It could have been a lot better if you had been able to spend more time at
it... I'm sure you realize that already. :)

> I also wrote this Ninja to be as weird and confusing as possible.

Maybe not the best idea. I didn't think of it as weird and confusing --
simply frustrating. I haven't read other reviews of your game yet, but I
suspect the comments will be similar.

> Why? I wanted the player to
> explore the game, even if it didn't make sense (or still had some bugs).

I explored. :)

>In contrast to 'HLA Adventure' and 'Westfront PC', I spent very
> little time debugging and coding this game. However, I still wanted it
> to be unusual enough to spark others' interest in the history of
> shinto, ninjas and ancient japan.

I think the point may have been buried under the implementation. In
contract, Mingsheng had the kind of "push" that made me think more about
martial arts and its history. In Ninja, the gameplay itself was foremost in
my mind. I honestly overlooked most of the story, as a result. :(

> Perhaps, even as bad as this game
> was/is, other coders will write more ninja-themed games. There can
> never be enough ninja-themed games, in my opinion.

You may have a point, there. I recently played Ninja Gaiden (X-Box) and to
some degree, share the sentiment. :)

> There are some very unusual things implemented (at least for most of
> my games). You can chop down a tree to cross the river, enter the
> shrine and fight ninjas that walk out of the shadows.

I chopped the tree, but I didn't enter the shrine.

> The game also
> requires the player to examine the sky, including the clouds,
> mountains, etc. The more the player examines, the more points he/she
> is awarded. The more points they are awarded, the greater the
> likelihood the player will be rewarded. If the player has enough
> points added up when the ninja appears, he/she should be able to fight
> the ninja with a fair chance of winning. Otherwise, the ninja doesn't
> waste any time and doesn't give the player a chance to defeat him.

Ah, that makes more sense. I didn't really get a sense of being taken in
that direction, though. Maybe some in-game clues as to the importance of
these things?

> The goal of the game is to retrieve an idol from a rival shrine. I did
> neglect to include the 'enter' command into the verb list, but
> fortunately, that was intentional (e.g. I wanted the player to not
> rely so much on the supplied verb list, but to try a fer verbs until
> the command worked; in my opinion, some of the magic of an adventure
> game comes in trying out various verbs and finding the right
> combination).

The problem with giving a large verb list, but leaving one out, is that it
discourages experimentation. Even when I was revising your source code, I
missed that option. Maybe a shorter list of verbs, ending in "...and others"
might have worked better.

> The score is indeed based on examining the world, making certain
> choices and not making incorrect ones. The ">20" is not debugging
> code, as was suggested previously, but an indication that the player
> is 20 (or more) points below the threshold for avoiding the ninja. If
> the player continues to see the ">20" message, the ninja (should be)
> more likely to engage the player in combat.

Ah! This, I also didn't glean from the source code. It seemed to be stray
code showing up in the game. You kind of have a paradox, though. The player
is meant to examine the surroundings and become involved in the story, but
an unclued status hint appears too. It brings focus back to the programming,
as opposed to the program.

> This game, written very quickly, does have some glaring bugs. The
> scoring system is a bit weird: I don't know why it applies a greater
> score than what is possible at the end (e.g. "101/9" and other
> variations). Also, for some reason I forgot to reset the HP if the
> player falls in combat and restarts the game (e.g. -29 HP, to the
> ninja's 0).

Ah, that must be what happened to me. I didn't try to figure out your
scoring. I was simply trying to build verb and noun lists to make it more
responsive. I came close, but ultimately gave up. :)

> Nevertheless, I enjoyed writing a game based on a new theme (for me),
> rather than the overused "Westfront PC" style that I've probably used
> for 95% of my games since 1993. Color-coded inventory was nice in
> 1993, but I am now tired of writing games based on that schema. I
> wanted the storyline to be unique enough, but not rely so much on my
> past games.

Enjoying the effort is the main thing! I had a blast with mine, too, and I
hope to improve with my next game, by avoiding the pitfalls that have
resulted in the most complaints. I would recommend that if you want to stick
with QuickBASIC (and I was right there with you for a long time), you
develop a skeleton or shell that makes it easier on you in the future. You
might even be able to work up some fancier parsing...

> I must admit an affinity and love for late-1970's and early-1980's era
> adventure games. I have coded all of my adventure games to be playable
> in that vein. Long room descriptions are not usually a part of my
> adventures (although some of my Commodore 64/128 adventures have much
> longer descriptions than what I usually implement).

Another paradox -- your newsgroup posts are long, your room descriptions are
not. :)

I liked the early games too, but looking back, I wonder how *any* of them
were solveable (especially my own). I think we have an opportunity to do
something more than what might have been seen at the dawn of IF. In fact,
nostalgia only goes so far. To some extent, I'd rather play a vintage game
than a modern game that mimics a vintage game. But that's me. :)

> I have also played MUDs extensively, and add in MUD-like combat as a
> twist. Most text adventures do not feature MUD-like combat, and that
> is why I added that in (plus, I always loved playing MUDs and Dungeons
> & Dragons).

Me too! That might be why Magocracy had such an appeal to me. I got the feel
from Ninja as well, but again, it was difficult to stay entertained when the
implementation was a distraction. I think this is something that sets it
apart, but it would have packed a bigger punch if the game had been more
polished.

> "Ninja" has some interesting themes, but can no doubt be expanded upon
> (and heavily improved). The game was written in QuickBASIC, rather
> than HLA (High Level Assembly) or C. Most of my other games were
> written in PowerBASIC's Console Compiler for Windows (e.g. "Westfront
> PC").

I thought you probably used GW-Basic or something (hence the line numbers).
I just released the QuickBASIC source code to two of my games, if you're
interested in looking over what another QB author has done. Neither will
revolutionize IF, but what I did might interest you in your future projects.

Breath Pirates -- http://www.sidneymerk.com/breath.shtml
The Insanity Circle -- http://www.sidneymerk.com/lunatix.shtml

---- Mike.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:10:30 GMT, Paul Allen Panks scrawled:

> The goal of the game is to retrieve an idol from a rival shrine. I did
> neglect to include the 'enter' command into the verb list, but
> fortunately, that was intentional (e.g. I wanted the player to not
> rely so much on the supplied verb list, but to try a fer verbs until
> the command worked; in my opinion, some of the magic of an adventure
> game comes in trying out various verbs and finding the right
> combination).

Oh dear, I guess you've never really noticed how frustrated people become
with the 'guess the verb' puzzles.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

Heya.

Sidney Merk wrote in message ...
>I replied once, but it didn't appear.

It has, in a wrong thread: [Comp04]Paul's Reviews - Introduction, from Paul
O'Brian.

Greetz, Katzy.

"Katzy" <katzy@noname.at.all> wrote in message
> Heya.
>
> Sidney Merk wrote in message ...
>>I replied once, but it didn't appear.
>
> It has, in a wrong thread: [Comp04]Paul's Reviews - Introduction, from
> Paul
> O'Brian.

Whoa! I'm sorry about that. I'm not sure how I ended up in the wrong post,
but it must have been the side-by-side Pauls in my newsreader. Sorry. :(

---- Mike.

Paul Allen Panks wrote:
> About Ninja v1.30:
>
> I must admit I wrote Ninja v1.30 very quickly. I also wrote this
> Ninja to be as weird and confusing as possible. [...]

For the record: The reson I gave this game a *very* low score, is that it
refused to quit, even when clicking on the window's "x" button. Windows
told me that it "cannot end this programm". Then, it crashed my PC.

A question: Why on earth did you try to stop the player from quitting the
game? Behavior like this acts like a magnet for "1" votes.

Nikos Chantziaras wrote in news:2vuvfmF2qq8arU1@uni-berlin.de:

> A question: Why on earth did you try to stop the player from
> quitting the game? Behavior like this acts like a magnet for "1"
> votes.

This is not intentional behaviour. The game is a DOS program, not a
real Windows program so Windows can't close it normally with the x. (Of
course, this brings up the issue of why it's written in QuickBasic, but
that's another issue.)

I then intended to push the "send" button, but since I never got round
to playing Ninja (I only got through two games - neither good - before
lack of time and motivation hit me) I started it up for a quick look
first. Hm. It *was* intentional. The game wouldn't quit without me
forcing it down. Happily, I run Windows XP so force-quitting is not
hard, but I have to agree with Nikos that it's Bad Behaviour.

Rikard