Sign in with
Your question

Monitors with "adjustable" Overdrives...?

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gaming
  • Video
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 7, 2007 10:54:22 AM

Hi2all,

I'm new to the Flat Panel scene, but I've been busy doing my homework :) 

TFT Central
LCD Resource
BEHardware
and of course Tom's

Like most of you, there's no one panel that suits all of my needs (Gaming, video & digital imaging). As I have two (active) PCs, I can delegate my 2nd gen machine/ monitor to digital imaging, but that still leaves me looking for one monitor that can do gaming & video (movies). My main PC is hooked up to my 5.1 speaker system and thus is the only one that can be used for Gaming & Video playback.

The next thought was to buy two separate monitors (after all, graphics cards have been providing support for dual monitors for pretty much the entire millenium ;-)) but many applications cannot be relegated to the second monitor, making this solution somewhat unsatisfactory... .

So long story short, I was looking at 19" monitors sporting AUO's M190EG01 V0 panel (300dc/m2, 1300:1, 8ms, 178/178, 1280x1024 P-MVA). This panel is used in the *new* Viewsonic VP930, Belinea 1980 S1 and Philips 190P7, to name the ones I know about.

Due to my personal i/o and ergonomic requirements, I was leaning towards the 190P7 which is running around €330, a respectable price for a respectable monitor. But as I was browsing Philip's website, I came across their 190X7 which sports something Philips calls, SmartResponce. Appearantly, this SmartResponce "tunes" the responsiveness of the monitor depending on whether it is being used for static or dynamic viewing.

I have found little detail regarding this feature but it seems to me that maybe Philips is tuning (or all together turning off) the panel's Overdrive...! In any case (and the initial reason behind my post), I was wondering if any other monitors on the market have implemented such a feature (or something similar to it). Since so many monitors have trouble when it comes to controlling their overdrive (overshoot, I think Tom's calls it), this could be a solution to improve both static and dynamic output!

Looking forward to your comments/ input :D 

More about : monitors adjustable overdrives

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2007 5:14:11 PM

You can check out xbitlabs.com's test to see which monitors have few overdrive errors. There are some out there with few overdrive errors. Also, there might be a monitor or two that were reviewed that allow you to turn off overdrive (however, it's better to just get one of the monitors without the overdrive errors; then you don't have to worry).

As for choice of panel, S-PVA may or may not be enough of a viewing angle for 19" image editing. You may want to consider a S-IPS panel.
March 7, 2007 6:08:06 PM

Quote:
You can check out xbitlabs.com's test to see which monitors have few overdrive errors. ... As for choice of panel, S-PVA may or may not be enough of a viewing angle ... consider a S-IPS panel.

Thanks, I forgot to list XBitlabs as a great source too. As for S-IPS, I don't know of any with overdrive and thus I don't think it's a gamer's panel. The panel I noted is a Premium MVA (not S-PVA) and should deliver good Video playback as well as good (but not great) results for gaming. I am not a professional photographer (it's a fond hobby of mine) and thus extreme color accuracy is not necessary*.

*'Course, if I win the lottery, there'll be a nice Eizo attached to my second PC :-p
Related resources
March 7, 2007 6:43:20 PM

Quote:
"... As for S-IPS, I don't know of any with overdrive and thus I don't think it's a gamer's panel...."

The S-IPS panels with claimed 6ms got that low reading because of overdrive...

Xbit Labs mentioned in review of NEC 20WMGX2, "... it's 6ms claimed response time appears to be the same as the Viewsonic VX922 [which is claimed as 2ms]..."
March 9, 2007 10:10:33 AM

Quote:
...NEC 20WMGX2, "... it's 6ms claimed response time ]

thanks for the tip & Fair enough - so there are S-IPS w/overdrives :)  Btw, too bad that the 20WGX2 is a gloss panel, 'cause it looks like a good all-arounder!

But, back to my original topic: I've already found a few more panels that incoroporate tha ability to toggle overdrive on/off. One example that comes to mind is NEC's LCD2190UXi, also reviewed @ Xbit Labs and I believe Samsung's MagicSpeed offers the same ability, perhaps in a dynamic or automatic form. Finally, I'm hoping that Eizo also has some similar option in their S2111W (or S2411W) because that monitor's currently got my attention... :p 
March 9, 2007 12:55:41 PM

Quote:
...NEC 20WMGX2, "... it's 6ms claimed response time ]

thanks for the tip & Fair enough - so there are S-IPS w/overdrives :)  Btw, too bad that the 20WGX2 is a gloss panel, 'cause it looks like a good all-arounder!

But, back to my original topic: I've already found a few more panels that incoroporate tha ability to toggle overdrive on/off. One example that comes to mind is NEC's LCD2190UXi, also reviewed @ Xbit Labs and I believe Samsung's MagicSpeed offers the same ability, perhaps in a dynamic or automatic form. Finally, I'm hoping that Eizo also has some similar option in their S2111W (or S2411W) because that monitor's currently got my attention... :p 

1. I use the term "claimed", because we all know they fudge on the way they interpret specs.... ALL makers are guilty.

2. Some monitors offer the option to disable overdrive and to alter the level of backlight... generally higher end and more costly.

3. If you haven't viewed the "glossy panel" of Brite screen monitors in person, I suggest you do so before dismissing. The negative claims about them are waaayyyy overblown, IMO. I'm working off of one right now and it's better than any I've had.

FWIW... the NEC 20WMGX2 is one of my favorites. I believe it's unique... the only AS-IPS panel with Brite screen.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 9, 2007 11:52:40 PM

I read somewhere that AS-IPS is just an S-IPS panel with overdrive. Also this might help:
Here's what some manufacturers call overdrive:
Samsung - magicspeed
Viewsonic - clearmotiv +
NEC - rapidresponse rapid motion extra? http://www.necdisplay.com/products/90Series/Screenperfo...
March 10, 2007 1:29:25 AM

Quote:
"... I read somewhere that AS-IPS is just an S-IPS panel with overdrive....

If I recall correctly, NEC calls it "Advanced"... probably means overdrive. They have another version also on some of their higher end models.
March 11, 2007 3:01:59 PM

Quote:
Samsung - magicspeed
Viewsonic - clearmotiv +
NEC - rapidresponse rapid motion extra?

Kevin, thx for the info :D 

Hose, I went to a local Electronics store yesterday and looked at a few gloss panels. the problem is that although I always avoid direct lighting (towards monitor), there is always enough ambient light that I will have reflections.

Secondly, while I'm by no means a professional artist/ photographer, I don't like the fact that the colors will be affected by the gloss layer. The inherent contrast boost will be a bonus in some applications but a problem in others and I'd rather have the ability to choose. Still, If someone gave me a 20WGX2, I certainly wouldn't be unhappy about it ;) 

A shame that NEC stopped making fast / controlled monitors after the 20WGX2, 'cause although the newer 90-series monitors (such as the LCD2190UXi - LCD2690WUXi) are color masters, they all seem to suffer from terrible after-glow. This makes the 20WGX2 probably the only IPS panel on the market that can be used for gaming & video playback!!!

I'm still hunting for a professional MVA (ViewSonics' VP2030b and VX2025WM monitors comes to mind). That or a good/fast PVA, such as the Eizo monitors I mentioned above... :p  I've all but given up on IPS for multimedia (but I may opt to get a smaller 19" IPS for me other PC and use it strictly for digital imaging.)
March 12, 2007 1:05:45 PM

Quote:
Samsung - magicspeed
Viewsonic - clearmotiv +
NEC - rapidresponse rapid motion extra?

Hose, I went to a local Electronics store yesterday and looked at a few gloss panels. the problem is that although I always avoid direct lighting (towards monitor), there is always enough ambient light that I will have reflections.

"... Still, If someone gave me a 20WGX2, I certainly wouldn't be unhappy about it ;) ...

A good thing to know... that if someone lavished a 20WMGX2 upon you, you WOULD accept it!!
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 12, 2007 7:29:11 PM

Maybe your better alternative would be to consider a Dell or HP panel. Some HP models are definitely IPS. With Dell it might be IPS or it might be PVA. I would probably suggest IPS first and PVA second (though I don't really know about PVA).

BTW, in what way does the glossy finish mess up the colors? I would think that there is actually a benefit to the glossy finish, since it does not add in the dirty/dusty look to solid colors, which makes image editing a little difficult for pixel perfect accuracy on a matte finish monitor.
March 12, 2007 10:46:09 PM

Quote:
BTW, in what way does the glossy finish mess up the colors?

I really hate to use the lame excuse of, "er, I read it somewhere that the colors are affected...", so I won't. Instead, after having read the following from XBitLabs:

"the MultiSync 20WGX2 leaves a good impression. NEC has created a home/games-oriented monitor that combines a fast matrix with excellent viewing angles and accurate color reproduction"

I prefer to retract my statement... :oops: 
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2007 1:14:39 AM

I have heard the argument that the colors on the glossy screens are not as good; however, I don't understand the cause of it. It is still an LCD panel. -- unless either they were using older 16.2 panels to test on (which appeared to be the case in a tomshardware test)... or... the glare/reflection messes up colors for you (which xbitlabs mentions).
March 30, 2007 1:51:57 PM

Quote:
This makes the 20WGX2 probably the only IPS panel on the market that can be used for gaming & video playback!!!

Btw, is it true that NEC uses an LG-Philips S-IPS panel (most likely their LM201WE2 panel then) for the 20WGX2 monitor...?

So how is it that neither LG nor Philips have a fast PS panel on the market then...?!?
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2007 4:35:51 PM

Quote:
This makes the 20WGX2 probably the only IPS panel on the market that can be used for gaming & video playback!!!

Btw, is it true that NEC uses an LG-Philips S-IPS panel (most likely their LM201WE2 panel then) for the 20WGX2 monitor...?

So how is it that neither LG nor Philips have a fast PS panel on the market then...?!?
Maybe NEC redid the overdrive? Or maybe LG or Philips do sell that panel somewhere?
!