New USB Devices Do Not Install on One Computer but do on t..

Tags:
  • USB
  • Devices
  • Windows XP
July 7, 2005 5:47:01 PM

Whenever I try to install a new USB device like a flash drive, scanner, or
"digital" pen or after I update the firmware for a previously installed
device (like my external DVD burner), the USB devices do not load. The
devices are recgnized properly, but the New Hardware wizard can't find the
software. For example, I have two external hard drives from teh same
company. The one I've had a while loads fine when turned on, but the new one
has never installed succesfully on my desktop. All the device, BTW, install
correctly on my laptop (no install wozard and all occurs "behind the scenes")
so the devices work properly. Have things been corrupted? I've fixed this
in the past by doing a repair of XP using the upgrade disc, but I can't do
that anymore after upgrading to SP2. The version on the disc is too old
apparently. Do I need to do a clean reinstall of windows? Which I'd really
really really like to avoid.

More about : usb devices install computer

July 8, 2005 1:50:47 AM

Something you can try is to slipstream SP2 into the Windows upgrade disc. Do a
search on Google for Windows XP slipstream to find many sites about this. Once
burnt to CD, you can then try a repair of XP.

deadword wrote:

> Whenever I try to install a new USB device like a flash drive, scanner, or
> "digital" pen or after I update the firmware for a previously installed
> device (like my external DVD burner), the USB devices do not load. The
> devices are recgnized properly, but the New Hardware wizard can't find the
> software. For example, I have two external hard drives from teh same
> company. The one I've had a while loads fine when turned on, but the new one
> has never installed succesfully on my desktop. All the device, BTW, install
> correctly on my laptop (no install wozard and all occurs "behind the scenes")
> so the devices work properly. Have things been corrupted? I've fixed this
> in the past by doing a repair of XP using the upgrade disc, but I can't do
> that anymore after upgrading to SP2. The version on the disc is too old
> apparently. Do I need to do a clean reinstall of windows? Which I'd really
> really really like to avoid.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:03:27 AM

Hi,

General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"deadword" <deadword@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to install a new USB device like a flash drive, scanner, or
> "digital" pen or after I update the firmware for a previously installed
> device (like my external DVD burner), the USB devices do not load. The
> devices are recgnized properly, but the New Hardware wizard can't find the
> software. For example, I have two external hard drives from teh same
> company. The one I've had a while loads fine when turned on, but the new
> one
> has never installed succesfully on my desktop. All the device, BTW,
> install
> correctly on my laptop (no install wozard and all occurs "behind the
> scenes")
> so the devices work properly. Have things been corrupted? I've fixed
> this
> in the past by doing a repair of XP using the upgrade disc, but I can't do
> that anymore after upgrading to SP2. The version on the disc is too old
> apparently. Do I need to do a clean reinstall of windows? Which I'd
> really
> really really like to avoid.
July 8, 2005 4:19:42 AM

Check your services via: Start/Run/services.msc

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP