Cannot run .chm files

Running MS Windows XP2002 SP2 with all critical updates. Cannot see .chm
files such as those in Explorer help. I have a particular application with
Expert Help system that needs these .chm files to function. I believe this
problem is due to the various security updates that are applied but I cannot
see how to resolve the problem unless I reinstall windows completeely and
then do not install thye security updates. Is there a way round this
problem. Is article 896905 the way round?? Help.
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot files

    It is possible your CHM file association is corrupt.

    Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file\shell\open\command

    The Default value for this entry should be: "C:\WINDOWS\hh.exe" %1
    (you may need to make changes if Windows is not on C, or if your XP
    installation is not in the Windows folder).

    Next, go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.chm

    The Default value for this entry should be: chm.file

    To modify a value, double click on the Default entry and enter the values as
    shown.

    If the above doesn't help: Go to Start/Run and type in:
    %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help and rename it.

    Also, see line 141: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "colin" <colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Running MS Windows XP2002 SP2 with all critical updates. Cannot see .chm
    > files such as those in Explorer help. I have a particular application
    > with
    > Expert Help system that needs these .chm files to function. I believe
    > this
    > problem is due to the various security updates that are applied but I
    > cannot
    > see how to resolve the problem unless I reinstall windows completeely and
    > then do not install thye security updates. Is there a way round this
    > problem. Is article 896905 the way round?? Help.

    Colin,

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896905
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "colin" <colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Running MS Windows XP2002 SP2 with all critical updates. Cannot see .chm
    > files such as those in Explorer help. I have a particular application
    > with
    > Expert Help system that needs these .chm files to function. I believe
    > this
    > problem is due to the various security updates that are applied but I
    > cannot
    > see how to resolve the problem unless I reinstall windows completeely and
    > then do not install thye security updates. Is there a way round this
    > problem. Is article 896905 the way round?? Help.

Security Windows XP