Cannot run .chm files

July 7, 2005 5:51:03 PM

Running MS Windows XP2002 SP2 with all critical updates. Cannot see .chm
files such as those in Explorer help. I have a particular application with
Expert Help system that needs these .chm files to function. I believe this
problem is due to the various security updates that are applied but I cannot
see how to resolve the problem unless I reinstall windows completeely and
then do not install thye security updates. Is there a way round this
problem. Is article 896905 the way round?? Help.

More about : run chm files

July 8, 2005 4:26:27 AM

It is possible your CHM file association is corrupt.

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file\shell\open\command

The Default value for this entry should be: "C:\WINDOWS\hh.exe" %1
(you may need to make changes if Windows is not on C, or if your XP
installation is not in the Windows folder).

Next, go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.chm

The Default value for this entry should be: chm.file

To modify a value, double click on the Default entry and enter the values as
shown.

If the above doesn't help: Go to Start/Run and type in:
%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help and rename it.

Also, see line 141: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"colin" <colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running MS Windows XP2002 SP2 with all critical updates. Cannot see .chm
> files such as those in Explorer help. I have a particular application
> with
> Expert Help system that needs these .chm files to function. I believe
> this
> problem is due to the various security updates that are applied but I
> cannot
> see how to resolve the problem unless I reinstall windows completeely and
> then do not install thye security updates. Is there a way round this
> problem. Is article 896905 the way round?? Help.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 8, 2005 1:35:46 PM

Colin,