Sign in with
Your question

Pentium M & Memory?

Last response: in Memory
September 28, 2004 5:34:38 PM

I ordered a Dell Notebook with the Pentium M. The only choice they gave was 266Mhz. Does that seem right? The pentium M has a 400Mhz FSB.

More about : pentium memory

September 28, 2004 5:55:29 PM

Well if that is all that Dell offers then that is all that they offer. Did you call them on the phone?

The whole reason that I will not buy from manufactures is the simple reason that their hardware sucks eggs!
September 28, 2004 7:43:19 PM

I just did it because it was the only way I could get a laptop. But do the processor and memory frequencies match?
Related resources
September 28, 2004 9:02:52 PM

That should work fine.

Confusion about memory numbers:
Pentium 4-M has a 100Mhz FSB (at least, I don't think the P4M has a faster bus).
Pentiums (P4 and P4M) are Quad-data rate (or Quad-pumped, depending on how buzzword oriented you are) which means it transfers 4 pieces of data to/from memory each tick of the clock. So, 100fsb on an Intel is called 400 in 'marketing speak'. However, it still runs at 100mhz.
DDR RAM is double-data-rate (2 pieces per tick) so, 100fsb uses DDR200 (or faster) ram. (think market-speak again)

You can put 266 ram in a 200 socket, and it will run fine. You have trouble if you put 200 ram in a 266 socket. Gateway probably standardizes their notebook ram by buying only 1 speed because 200 and 266 ram are so close in price that it doesn't make sense to offer both.

Mike.
a b } Memory
September 29, 2004 3:02:03 AM

Don't forget that DDR400 is the best single-channel solution for a QDR400 bus. Better to match bandwidth than clockspeed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 29, 2004 3:50:31 PM

But since this is a laptop, it probably has a crippled memory subsystem. Putting ddr400 ram in a ddr200 socket doesn't help the speed (unless you can play with timings of course)

Checked the dell site for laptop memory configs - the P-M laptops use either 266 or 333 depending on model, and for the 333 capable laptop, it offers 333 ram.

So, my description, while correct in some ways, isn't correct for this laptop... it uses a qdr100 fsb, with a ddr133 memory bus...

Found another mistake - I mentioned Gateway in my previous post, when I should have said Dell. (though I bet Gateway does that too)

Mike
a b } Memory
September 29, 2004 4:35:09 PM

I don't expect the P-M to get as large a performance increase as the P4 from increased memory bandwidth simply because the P6 core on which it's based really doesn't need it as much.

Funny that there are quite a few people with older 400 bus P4's running DDR266 and people telling them it's best to run it at DDR200 speed because it's synchronous, you'd almost think they'd forgotten they're dealing with Intel rather than AMD.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!