Win XP wont detect my HD during setup>_<

jenova

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
i recently built my own computer. I bought the Western digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA HD.
My problem is that when i go into the setup for windows xp it says that my hard drive is not connected and i need to set it up correctly. However, when i boot the computer up, it is labeled as the master drive and i can change its boot order in BIOS.

Before windows xp initializes it asks me if i want to install a third party SCSI or RAID drive. When i hit F6 (to enter that menu) it tells me to enter my "mass storage device manifacturer's installation disk". I dont have a disk like that because i got the drive off of Newegg.com and it was OEM.

I have searched for these drivers online and on the motherboard CD. None of these work. I put them on the floppy disk and when i hit enter after it prompts me to insert the disk it pauses and then asks me to enter the disk and press enter(it didnt read it). I am thinking that this is because Windows setup cannot read the files/folders on the disk.

Does anyone know whether i need to have exactly the right things on the disk when i enter it? or do i need to do something different all together. If i need certain drivers, where can i find them?

Thanks in advance

*NOTE*:I am using windows xp proffesional

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I put them on the floppy disk and when i hit enter after it prompts me to insert the disk it pauses and then asks me to enter the disk and press enter(it didnt read it). I am thinking that this is because Windows setup cannot read the files/folders on the disk
Make sure you have the file called <b>TxtSetup.oem</b>, and put these files in floppy's root sector (not in any folder) or Windows cannot find necessary files.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is your floppy drive working normally? Or does the light stay on all the time?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jenova

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
yea my floppy frive is working. I've also tried the Txtsetup.oem thing too.
I've come to the conclusion that i need exactly the right files on the disk when i put it in or else Windows will not read it as a driver setup disk. Does anyone know what files these are?? I think they might be located on the motherboard disk. Thank you for all your help.

NOTE: My Motherboard is an Asus K8V

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the sata drivers ARE on your mobo CD... (installing a 160gig SATA this weekend, that is where I am getting mine from)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...