corrupt file

Does anyone know anything i can do to maybe fix this?:
It says ! ~f1d055.tmp - Corrupt File
The file or directory C: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run
the Chkdsk utility.

I've tried the Chkdsk,
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling,
I've tried deleting all spyware,
I've tried a virus scan showing no viruses,
and I have no clue what to do......
1 answer Last reply
More about corrupt file

    "Displunker" <Displunker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77F656DA-4ED7-4116-A8E0-EC255E2FA62F@microsoft.com...
    | Does anyone know anything i can do to maybe fix this?:
    | It says ! ~f1d055.tmp - Corrupt File
    | The file or directory C: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run
    | the Chkdsk utility.
    |
    | I've tried the Chkdsk,
    | I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling,
    | I've tried deleting all spyware,
    | I've tried a virus scan showing no viruses,
    | and I have no clue what to do......

    Hi Displunker,

    That type of error could mean the CD is corrupt... Check the CD
    and the CD Player. Clean both using a Cleaning Kit, and check for
    scratches on the CD. Try installing the game on another computer,
    if the game installs, the culprit is probably your CD ROM drive if it
    doesn't install then it's the CD, in which case you need to replace it.

    Before replacing the CD, try copying it to your hard drive and then
    run the setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD go
    to My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy", then Right-
    Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

    Uninstall the game using Add-Remove programs before attempting
    to reinstall it. (Start / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs).

    Here are three basic troubleshooting steps which I recommend:
    ( You've already tried a couple of these, however be sure to go
    to Start / Run / type: %temp% and then delete as many of those
    files there as you can by sending them to the Recycle Bin)

    1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
    Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de and/or
    Adaware (www.lavasoftusa.com) to remove any Spyware/Adware.

    3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    If nothing including those 3 steps have resolved the problem so far,
    here's more basic troubleshooting steps and information including:
    The Safedisc patch
    How to check CD for imperfections, and
    How to Disable Virtual CD rom drives which is described at:
    http://tinyurl.com/2387c (EA General Support Page) and also:

    How to Troubleshoot Disc-Reading Issues
    Error Messages That May Be Caused by Disc-Reading Issues
    Troubleshoot Error Messages
    Examine the Disc
    Clean the Disc
    Test the Disc in a Different Drive
    Clean the Drive
    Test Disc Read with Copy or Xcopy
    Quit Unnecessary Software
    Switch the Drive Controller to DMA Mode, and
    How to Troubleshoot DVD Error Messages is available in this
    MS Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Chkdsk Microsoft Video Games