Windows Fax not installing

July 7, 2005 7:52:01 PM

I am SO SO SO sick of this problem now. I have tried to install fax thru
windows components, I keep being asked for the Windows Professional Service
Pack 2 CD which I didn't have so I tried out other suggestions in the
printing & fax newsgroup like re-directing to file I386 on C:\ directory ( I
found the file OK) but that didn't work; I tried changing the source in the
registry key but that didn't work either. I keep being asked for bloomin
files which are clearly there but setup can't locate.

So I then borrowed an XP CD from a friend, obviously all the files are on
there but can this pain-in-the-neck fax setup find it? No way. I'm still
being asked for files, I copied the whole of the I386 folder from the CD onto
the D:\ hard drive but still no luck.

What am I doing wrong??? Is it a problem with my XP or service pack 2? Help
please as I'm close to throwing the damn pc out.

--
potatoskins

More about : windows fax installing

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:04:56 PM

Don't throw it out - We (People) are still smarter than they (PCs)
are.

Which file(s) is it asking for ? , because you might be able to
step it through the prompts and write down the requested files.
and place them in a dedicated folder and then direct the installer
to that location. Without knowing what's been done, it's hard
to speculate on why the installer can't/won't use the i386 media
you've offered to it. Was your original XP at Service Pack2 or
was it added after you bought the PC ? There is a somewhat
convoluted path that XP follows to find system components.

"potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am SO SO SO sick of this problem now. I have tried to install fax thru
> windows components, I keep being asked for the Windows Professional
> Service
> Pack 2 CD which I didn't have so I tried out other suggestions in the
> printing & fax newsgroup like re-directing to file I386 on C:\ directory
> ( I
> found the file OK) but that didn't work; I tried changing the source in
> the
> registry key but that didn't work either. I keep being asked for bloomin
> files which are clearly there but setup can't locate.
>
> So I then borrowed an XP CD from a friend, obviously all the files are on
> there but can this pain-in-the-neck fax setup find it? No way. I'm still
> being asked for files, I copied the whole of the I386 folder from the CD
> onto
> the D:\ hard drive but still no luck.
>
> What am I doing wrong??? Is it a problem with my XP or service pack 2?
> Help
> please as I'm close to throwing the damn pc out.
>
> --
> potatoskins
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:40:43 PM

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321639

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

!