Windows Fax not installing

I am SO SO SO sick of this problem now. I have tried to install fax thru
windows components, I keep being asked for the Windows Professional Service
Pack 2 CD which I didn't have so I tried out other suggestions in the
printing & fax newsgroup like re-directing to file I386 on C:\ directory ( I
found the file OK) but that didn't work; I tried changing the source in the
registry key but that didn't work either. I keep being asked for bloomin
files which are clearly there but setup can't locate.

So I then borrowed an XP CD from a friend, obviously all the files are on
there but can this pain-in-the-neck fax setup find it? No way. I'm still
being asked for files, I copied the whole of the I386 folder from the CD onto
the D:\ hard drive but still no luck.

What am I doing wrong??? Is it a problem with my XP or service pack 2? Help
please as I'm close to throwing the damn pc out.

--
potatoskins
2 answers Last reply

    Don't throw it out - We (People) are still smarter than they (PCs)
    are.

    Which file(s) is it asking for ? , because you might be able to
    step it through the prompts and write down the requested files.
    and place them in a dedicated folder and then direct the installer
    to that location. Without knowing what's been done, it's hard
    to speculate on why the installer can't/won't use the i386 media
    you've offered to it. Was your original XP at Service Pack2 or
    was it added after you bought the PC ? There is a somewhat
    convoluted path that XP follows to find system components.

    "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am SO SO SO sick of this problem now. I have tried to install fax thru
    > windows components, I keep being asked for the Windows Professional
    > Service
    > Pack 2 CD which I didn't have so I tried out other suggestions in the
    > printing & fax newsgroup like re-directing to file I386 on C:\ directory
    > ( I
    > found the file OK) but that didn't work; I tried changing the source in
    > the
    > registry key but that didn't work either. I keep being asked for bloomin
    > files which are clearly there but setup can't locate.
    >
    > So I then borrowed an XP CD from a friend, obviously all the files are on
    > there but can this pain-in-the-neck fax setup find it? No way. I'm still
    > being asked for files, I copied the whole of the I386 folder from the CD
    > onto
    > the D:\ hard drive but still no luck.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong??? Is it a problem with my XP or service pack 2?
    > Help
    > please as I'm close to throwing the damn pc out.
    >
    > --
    > potatoskins

    HOW TO: Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321639

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    potatoskins wrote:

    > I am SO SO SO sick of this problem now. I have tried to install fax thru
    > windows components, I keep being asked for the Windows Professional Service
    > Pack 2 CD which I didn't have so I tried out other suggestions in the
    > printing & fax newsgroup like re-directing to file I386 on C:\ directory ( I
    > found the file OK) but that didn't work; I tried changing the source in the
    > registry key but that didn't work either. I keep being asked for bloomin
    > files which are clearly there but setup can't locate.
    >
    > So I then borrowed an XP CD from a friend, obviously all the files are on
    > there but can this pain-in-the-neck fax setup find it? No way. I'm still
    > being asked for files, I copied the whole of the I386 folder from the CD onto
    > the D:\ hard drive but still no luck.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong??? Is it a problem with my XP or service pack 2? Help
    > please as I'm close to throwing the damn pc out.

Fax CD-Rom Windows XP