[IFComp] I Must Play additional game ideas that you might ..

Before the comp I had planned on possibly adding a few more games to "I
Must Play" if it was well received. It wasn't, so I thought that perhaps
people would at least enjoy seeing the list of ideas that otherwise
would just go into /dev/null.

Game 1:
In one game machine you enter and find yourself in a rolling wooden
room. Eventually the room explodes into fire and you die. In the 2nd
game machine you enter and find yourself in a workshop. There you find a
pail of nails. To win you need to pour water over the nails so that they
rust. Then, when you go back to the first machine the barrel will burst
open and you'll find out that you're in Donkey Kong.

Game 2:
You enter one game machine and find yourself in what looks like a
missile silo. In the room there is a huge monster squinting at you. It's
sulking and complains about how there's no point in going outside
because it can't see anything. To win you need to get a monocle from a
limo in a different game, and then you drop the monocle into a hole in
the outside of the game machine. When you enter the game again you'll
find that the monocle is now huge and is the proper size for the
monster. The monster will wear the monocle and will then leave out the
top of the missile silo. You then leave the game and hit the mole over
the head to win Whack-A-Mole.

Game 3:
You enter one game machine and find yourself in a barren hallway with
solid colored walls. You leave one side and find a room with blue walls.
You go the other way and find an empty room with a dot on the floor in
the center. It looks like the dot is just painted on the ground, but
it's an actual object you can pick up. If you go to the blue room again
then one of the walls is now gray (the same color as the floor). You can
now walk through that wall and enter a room where you can read an
inscription on the floor to win Atari Adventure.

Game 4:
You enter one game machine and find yourself in a long hallway with gray
walls, a gray ceiling, and a solid red floor. Occasionally you feel
earthquakes that shake everything violently. If you stick around long
enough, a crack forms in one panel of one floor. If you are above that
crack when it goes then you will be crushed by the huge sphere that
flies up from beneath. Otherwise you just witness a sphere flying
through the shattered floor and bouncing down again. You can watch from
the edge and see it fall into oblivion. At that point you lose the game.
To win, you need to bring dynamite into the game and blow up all the
floors except the cracked one. The result is that you will win Breakout
as soon as the sphere hits that last brick (which is safe to stand on
because the game ends the moment that the brick is shattered and before
the sphere flies through).
7 answers Last reply
More about ifcomp play additional game ideas
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Fortytwo" <news2@g42DOTorg> wrote in message news:419a9aaa$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > Before the comp I had planned on possibly adding a few more games to "I
    > Must Play" if it was well received. It wasn't, so I thought that perhaps
    > people would at least enjoy seeing the list of ideas that otherwise
    > would just go into /dev/null.

    In my game I considered writing an IF version of Defender for the arcade. You
    would be told what ships were nearby, and have to consider the timing of your
    movements as well as the resource management (e.g. smart bombs).

    But in the end I didn't think anyone would think this was very fun. I made the
    random description generator instead.

    In hindsight I suspect there's much potential for humor in an IF rendition of
    Defender.

    Kevin Venzke
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I'm putting this at the top because a critical aspect of these things is
    discovering which game it is that you're playing:

    You enter the game through one machine and find yourself in the robotics
    department of MIT. Shortly after you arrive, one of the geeks there
    starts shyly talking to a girl. If you do nothing then the geek goes out
    with the girl, gets married, and you lose the game. To win the game you
    need to sabotage their relationship so that the girl hates the geek. The
    result is that the geek gets depressed and dives into his work and ends
    up creating a fantastic new robot that looks just like a human. Once you
    have that robot you can mass produce thousands of these robots and put
    bombs in them. Then, have them walk around in crowds. When the aliens
    attack a city and start turning people into monsters then, at some
    point, every ship will pick up one of the robots (just by pure chance)
    and get blown up. That is how you win Defender.

    Kevin Venzke wrote:
    > In my game I considered writing an IF version of Defender for the arcade. You
    > would be told what ships were nearby, and have to consider the timing of your
    > movements as well as the resource management (e.g. smart bombs).
    >
    > But in the end I didn't think anyone would think this was very fun.

    Yep. For the most part, I suspect that it just isn't fun to play literal
    IF adaptations of video games. All the visual information that is
    normally instantly understandable ends up having to be described
    laboriously in text. Humor and nostalgia tweaking is definitely the way
    to go.

    > I made the
    > random description generator instead.
    >
    > In hindsight I suspect there's much potential for humor in an IF rendition of
    > Defender.
    >
    > Kevin Venzke

    Absolutely! Hmm, Defender was a game where you had to destroy attacking
    aliens before they picked up humans from the ground and mutated them.
    That's the crux of the game description I put at the top of this
    message. What do you think? Feel free to come up with something better.
    I'd really enjoy reading descriptions like these which are written by
    other people. There's no surprise when I read text that I wrote myself.
    *smile*
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Stargate was better.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    In article <419a9aaa$1_1@127.0.0.1>, Fortytwo <news2@g42DOTorg> wrote:
    >Game 3:
    >You can
    >now walk through that wall and enter a room where you can read an
    >inscription on the floor to win Atari Adventure.

    You do realize, of course, that finding the Easter Egg is not winning,
    right? Bringing the Chalice to the Golden Castle is winning.

    Adam
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Adam Thornton wrote:
    > In article <419a9aaa$1_1@127.0.0.1>, Fortytwo <news2@g42DOTorg> wrote:
    >
    >>Game 3:
    >>You can
    >>now walk through that wall and enter a room where you can read an
    >>inscription on the floor to win Atari Adventure.
    >

    > You do realize, of course, that finding the Easter Egg is not winning,
    > right? Bringing the Chalice to the Golden Castle is winning.
    >
    > Adam

    Really? Actually, I didn't even realize that it was a winnable game.
    After reading about the Easter Egg I downloaded an emulator so I could
    try the game out to see what it was like. I played it for a bit and I
    got the impression that the game was endless (like so many games of that
    era) and that each level was either randomly generated or reused in
    later levels (but with different wall colors). I guess not! How many
    levels were there? I guess there probably weren't more than 8 since I
    think that's how many colors the Atari had.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    In article <419ae8a7$1_2@127.0.0.1>, Fortytwo <news2@g42DOTorg> wrote:
    >Really? Actually, I didn't even realize that it was a winnable game.
    >After reading about the Easter Egg I downloaded an emulator so I could
    >try the game out to see what it was like. I played it for a bit and I
    >got the impression that the game was endless (like so many games of that
    >era) and that each level was either randomly generated or reused in
    >later levels (but with different wall colors). I guess not! How many
    >levels were there? I guess there probably weren't more than 8 since I
    >think that's how many colors the Atari had.

    The Atari has 128 colors.

    There are three games in Adventure. The first game has just the Black
    and the Gold castles, and the Blue Maze.

    The second adds the White Castle, a limited-visibility maze south and
    east of the Gold Castle, another limited-visibility maze inside the
    Black Castle (where the Magic Dot is), a maze inside the White Castle,
    and another several rooms.

    The third has the same physical layout as the second, but the item and
    creature locations are randomized.

    And all this fits in 4K of ROM; there's also 128 bytes of RAM in the
    console.

    Adam
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "A.P. Hill" <aphill@altavista.com> wrote in message
    > Stargate was better.

    Yeah, I think so too, on the whole. But if I recall, there was one kind of
    enemy
    in it that moved so fast, and was so intent on colliding with me, that it ruined
    a bit
    my enthusiasm for it.

    Kevin Venzke

Games Video Games