Windows could not start because the file is missing or cor..

July 7, 2005 8:39:06 PM

When i start my computer I receive this error message:
"Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I need to know what to type in the recovery console to copy the file from my
XP CD. I get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt but am unsure what to do next. Can
anyone help me out?
Thanks
July 7, 2005 9:32:21 PM

Don Kendrick wrote

"punchy" wrote:

> When i start my computer I receive this error message:
> "Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
> I need to know what to type in the recovery console to copy the file from my
> XP CD. I get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt but am unsure what to do next. Can
> anyone help me out?
> Thanks

do a repair install of windows xp

July 7, 2005 9:32:31 PM

punchy wrote:

> When i start my computer I receive this error message:
> "Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
> I need to know what to type in the recovery console to copy the file
> from my XP CD. I get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt but am unsure what to do
> next. Can anyone help me out?
> Thanks

I'm assuming the message really reads:

Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt

With this error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the
Recovery Console. Type:

cd system32\config [enter]
ren system system.old [enter]
ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
exit

HTH,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

punchy wrote:
> When i start my computer I receive this error message:
> "Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
> I need to know what to type in the recovery console to copy the file from my
> XP CD. I get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt but am unsure what to do next. Can
> anyone help me out?
> Thanks

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:26:33 AM

Hi,

You have a corrupt registry.

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry [Q307545]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"punchy" <punchy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When i start my computer I receive this error message:
> "Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
> I need to know what to type in the recovery console to copy the file from
> my
> XP CD. I get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt but am unsure what to do next. Can
> anyone help me out?
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:35:20 PM

Rick is correct, you have a corrupt registry. A repair install will not fix
it, since a repair install doesnt modify the registry.
If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP, then dont try the Microsoft
article 307545, because you will likely end up locking yourself out of your
system. That fix is meant for retail versions only, although it MAY work on
some Dell or Gateway machines, but don't count on it. Half of the time it
doesnt even work on retail installations.
If data loss is a concern, your best bet is to do a parallel install, backup
your data, and then format/clean.

"punchy" <punchy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When i start my computer I receive this error message:
> "Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
> I need to know what to type in the recovery console to copy the file from
> my
> XP CD. I get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt but am unsure what to do next. Can
> anyone help me out?
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:53:02 PM

How does one do a parallel install?

Thanks,
greg

"Raztax" wrote:

> Rick is correct, you have a corrupt registry. A repair install will not fix
> it, since a repair install doesnt modify the registry.
> If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP, then dont try the Microsoft
> article 307545, because you will likely end up locking yourself out of your
> system. That fix is meant for retail versions only, although it MAY work on
> some Dell or Gateway machines, but don't count on it. Half of the time it
> doesnt even work on retail installations.
> If data loss is a concern, your best bet is to do a parallel install, backup
> your data, and then format/clean.
>

> "punchy" <punchy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When i start my computer I receive this error message:
> > "Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:
> > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
> >
> > I need to know what to type in the recovery console to copy the file from
> > my
> > XP CD. I get to the C:\WINDOWS prompt but am unsure what to do next. Can
> > anyone help me out?
> > Thanks

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:46:07 AM