DVD Newbie question

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I'm about to buy a DVD RW driver, but don't want to get one that will have compatability issues in the near future. I am completely new to these things so bear with me. I see all these Double Layer drives, but see many more DVD drives that aren't for much less. Is it necessary to get double layer? I will not be doing any major film editing to burn to DVD, just home movies taken on a camcorder.

RichPLS

Champion
The Plextor PX712A is one of the best ones out there.
It is not the cheapest, thou, but I got one for $160 when they first came out.
Now they go for under $100.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I don't think I've seen that one around, but thanks for the suggestion. Is it worth it though to pay the extra amount for a drive that supports double layer?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get LiteOn SOHW-832S. It's cheap and supports dual layer

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I do not see a reason to go double layer yet, unless you want to spead more money on double layer media. Even though, my brother has DVD RW drive that capable of doing double layer he never use it. It is nice to copy a DVD movie on one CD without sacrificing quality using double layer CD. There is alway compression and compression will also let you fit a DVD movie on one regular DVD blank instead of double layer.

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
So could a DVD burner that does not write to double layer read a double layer DVD? From what was said in a previous post, it sounds more like it is a means of storing more on a single DVD.

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, all dvd roms will read double layers dvd.
The movies you rent on dvd are double layer.

========================
Try everything...

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Thanks for the replies and clarification. I went ahead and got the LiteOn SOHW-832S. At $70 from Newegg I couldn't pass it up. They had it at Circuit City, too-- for over $100. Suckers. The Plextor mentioned earlier had a $30 rebate that would bring it down to the same as LiteOn, but I have a terrible track record in terms of redeeming rebates. I don't know how I lived without Newegg all these years.

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, and DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW

of course depending on models.

All Dual layers will write to single layer of supported types

========================
Try everything...