HELP!! Vertical Lines appearing rapidly on HP zd8000 screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

hems

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007

My laptop (HP Pavilion zd8000 series) is more than 1 year old but was working fine. Then about couple of months back, there appeared ONE vertical line on my screen and I was told that I might have to change the screen!! So I ignored it and continued to work on my laptop. In the past week though there have been more lines appearing and its about 9 on last count.

I am assuming this is a display problem but what do I do???? I can't afford a new screen.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks.

A worried laptop user
:cry:

millersequine

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Apr 23, 2008 17:16:26 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too have a HP Pavilian zd8000 which was custom ordered loaded with everything the same time as your purchase..I have it in a dry location, no sunlight and it is not opened and shut or moved..It has never been dropped and is cared for with kid gloves. Several days ago my computer developed in the same spot a white/blue line one third of the way from the left...then two days later over another three quarters of an inch a red line has developed. Considering this computer does not get over used, abused etc and is in like new condition I cannot believe this has happened. I too called and they immediately wanted me to ship it in...telling me cost would probably be from 200. to $600. This is obviously a design or assembly error and it will only happen again...I had just purchased a second HP laptop too...and now I regret totally this purchase.....I have referred so many people to HP...and have been a life long client...I am going to write to them and if I get no assistance I will make it a point to tell everyone I meet...as I assist seniors with computer help and write for the Miniature Horse World and have my own Art Studio, I cannot stand unfairness and dollars are not easy to come by today that they can be thrown away like this to support some CEO's bonus.....Carolyn of millersequine

calanor

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Thousands of people have the same problem but HP :

http://hpverticalline.com/
http://petizionecontrohp.forumfree.net/
http://nomerayeselhp.blogspot.com/

I am disappointed that HP have not resolved this.

charithrac

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Well i had same problem with my dell, and a dell technician came to my house free of charge and found out GPU was toasted. Replaced motherboard for free.

oddjob_314

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Although there have been reports of the gpu on the zd8000 overheating and causing a scrambled display this is different from the vertical line issue, which is caused by a bad LCD panel (or whole batch from HP's supplier LG, according to the HP forums). My zd8000 has several bad columns of pixels like many other people, which are not visible if I connect the laptop to an external monitor, confirming that my video card is good. If your notebook is out of warranty your only choice is to shell out ~$300 for a new LCD. Just do a google search - HP's web site will tell you the exact part number of the LCD you need and there is also a manual available with instructions on how to install a new LCD with no more effort than upgrading your RAM. Don't wait for HP to do something because they probably won't anytime soon.

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I installed a laptop screen before and used one from another "bad", same model, laptop. You may be able to find an hp pavilion zd searching on google on e-bay that is really cheap and use the LCD screen for your new hp pavilion.
For the price of $300 to replace the screen, I would probably just order a new Dell Inspiron laptop.

luv4ty2

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Join the club!!!!! I have the same problem my laptop in about 3 and 1/2 years old and I have lines all over my screen

kvk

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
i am in the same boat and have been "babing" my laptop hoping the lines will stop appearing.
i just ordered another LG Phillips 171WXZ (A4)(K1) from LCDscreen.com for 159 + shipping.
My laptop is over four years old and i am very satisfied with it ...except for the faulty monitor, which didn't fail until this year! When i spoke with an HP tech, he told me it was unrepairable, and buy another! my 2 cents for what it's worth.

signlay

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I was looking for some answers. I have a pavilion dv8000 which had it's mother board replaced by HP due to a key board malfunction. Now, there are verticle yellow/white lines forming. The one today I actually saw form partially from the top. A few minutes later, it was all theway to the bottom. While they are hairline, I do graphics and it's now becoming annoying. Integrity has gone out the "window" when it comes to electronics. The profit margin is not what it used to be, so buyers are not as important as we used to be. Welcome to the new Millennium. Welcome to trash America - cost to repair means just buy a new one.

phat_tony04

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

I'm having the same problem with my dv8230us. I was looking at LCDScreen.com and found alot of different screens that, as far as I know, will fix my laptop. How did you decide on the LG Phillips 171WXZ (A4)(K1)?

I didn't know LG made LCD screens, until I saw your post and went to the site. I trust LG. I've been a long time customer, and they've never let me down. I'm sure they have quality screens.

But anyways, they have K1, K2, A4, A3, etc. and they all look like they'll fit and work with my laptop. How did you decide on that one? Random pick?

speedpocket

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Did you you replace your LCD screen and did it work?? I read that someone was talking about the ATI chip on the motherboard can get fried,,, and then you have to replace the board.

But if that is the case,, why would hooking up an external monitor to the laptop work?? I would think if the motherboard was bad,,, it would NOT work with an external monitor.

Replace LCD or replace motherboard??

backerprecision

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I too had the "HP lines of death problem". Plugged in a monitor to insure that the video board was OK.

Checked ebay. Lots of LCD replacements availalble. Chose one from Laptop Geniuses. They are in the USA. Paid $139 with free shipping. About 3 days later received LCD. Well packed. It was a Phillips just like my old one. Hope it lasts longer.

Tools: # 1 phillips screw driver.
Pocket knife.

Popped the little bumpers of the screen panel with knife. Removed screws. Pried trim bezel loose. Removed tiny screws that secure LCD mount to back panel (few along sides. Two clusters near hinge). Tip mount with LCD out to remove 4 tiny screws from side. Lay LCD down on keyboard. Remove converter plug. Remove tape from ribbon cable. Pull out ribbon cable from socket on LCD.

Install new LCD in reverse order. Adhesive on bumpers still tacky enough to just press them back in. Use contact cement if they don't stay.

Took about 15 minutes to do this. Turned it on. Lines gone! Display brighter and sharper than new. Still not as readable as the small one on my Lenovo S10.

Lessons learned.

1. HP isn't the company that is was. Their test equipment was the "gold standard. Their customer support now is the manure standard. Don't buy HP anything!

2. You can fix almost anything today. Most computers are built like a model A Ford. No special tools needed. Ebay is the greatest source for repair parts. You just need to know how to look and be patient.

3. Warantees are not worth much, especially extended warantees. If the product is good, you don't need it. If it is not, it isn't worth fixing. You can buy a New In the Box replacement 2 years later for what the extended warantee cost you.

Hope this helps. No need to suffer lines of death.

Larry Backer

thelettuce

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
That's very much for this Larry, my friend has a zd8000 with the vertical lines problem and I was wondering if you could just order the lcd on ebay and relace it yourself, thanks to you my question has been answered,
cheers,
James
London

kishankumar

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

hi dude, i am also facing same problem in my laptop. i bought new laptop on US but my warrenty is not over. Model number of my laptop is HP G71-340US.
appeared vertical line on laptop screen before 2months back . now today another line appeared. whats the solution to our problem. if any once solve ur problem plz forward the answer to my mail " kishankumaryen@hotmail.com " . ok . dont forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.