Reminder - Commodore 32 Inform Contest

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Just a warning-bell reminder to the IF folks out there. The Commodore 32
Inform contest deadline is just under 2 weeks away. The deadline for
submissions is noontime (EST) December 1, 2004. The C32 developers are hard
at work on their games, and all entries will be available for download
shortly after the deadline period (probably that evening). Rules for
authors and judges have been updated and posted to the main C32 contest
page:

http://www.gis.net/~daveber/minform/c32.htm

In the early days of IF, the target hardware was a real-world consideration
for the game developers. Most of these games had to run on hardware with
less than 32K of memory (with the 4K VIC20 and 16K TI99 4a being good
examples). Graham Nelson once described these early games produced under
tight constraints as "...the feeling of holding a well-made miniature, a
Chinese puzzle box with exactly-cut pieces." It will be interesting to see
what modern IF authors can produce given the limitations of the mythical C32
machine.

.... and remember, while these games are designed with the C32 limitation in
mind, all games will run under standard Z-Code interpreters on more powerful
machines. So even if you haven't pre-ordered your Commodore 32 hardware
you can still play these games on any machine that supports a 1.0 compliant
Z-code interpreter. For example, if you've got a whiz-bang IBM PC-XT or an
Apple IIe with 128K of on-board memory, you will still be able to
participate as a judge in the contest.

(PS - if anyone really does want to play any of the C32 contest entries on
real Commodore hardware, I can probably make C64 disk images available...)

--
Dave Bernazzani
Join the Commodore 32 Inform minigame contest:

"Dave Bernazzani" <dber@gis.net> wrote in message
> Just a warning-bell reminder to the IF folks out there. The Commodore 32
> Inform contest deadline is just under 2 weeks away. The deadline for

Also, if any C32 COMP author needs beta testing, I'm willing! Just email me
your game, with any appropriate notes, and I'll check it out for you as
quickly as I'm able. My email is sid_ney_merk_@_hot_mail._com (remove all
underlines).

---- Mike.

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On or about 11/18/2004 8:52 AM, Dave Bernazzani did proclaim:
> Just a warning-bell reminder to the IF folks out there. The Commodore 32
> Inform contest deadline is just under 2 weeks away. The deadline for
> submissions is noontime (EST) December 1, 2004.

So Dave, you never actually say it anywhere, but I presume that we email
our submissions to you? Mine is ready to send, I was just waiting until
a bit closer to Dec 1st to send it to you.

samwyse wrote:

>> The Commodore 32 Inform contest deadline is just under 2 weeks away.
>> The deadline for submissions is noontime (EST) December 1, 2004.
>
> So Dave, you never actually say it anywhere, but I presume that we
> email our submissions to you? Mine is ready to send, I was
> just waiting until a bit closer to Dec 1st to send it to you.

Good catch! I just updated the C32 contest page with that info. All authors
should send their submissions directly to me via email. Since the files will
be rather small (being a 32K contest and all!) I'm not likely to get
flooded. On the flip side, I expect that the entire download for all
contest entries will be under 200K total.

--
Dave Bernazzani
Join the Commodore 32 Inform minigame contest:
http://www.gis.net/~daveber/minform/c32.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts