Can't access CD drive

Running Win XP Pro SP2.
I recently upgraded to the latest version of iTunes for Windows (v 4.9)
and iTunes seems to have hijacked one of my CD drives (its actually a
DVD-R drive). If I put an audio CD in it, iTunes sees and can play the
disk. But I can't access either data or audio disks with non-iTunes
apps, e.g., Windows Explorer. If I try to access the drive from
Explorer, I get the message "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect
function." I get the same "incorrect funtion" error if I try to access
D: from a Command Prompt.

As I recall, when I was doing the iTunes update, there was a message to
install it a second time because it needed to "update" registry entries
relating to the CD drives. Apparently, iTunes changed some registry
entry so that my D: drive is no longer accessible to anything else. Any
suggestions on how to reset this?
1 answer Last reply
More about access drive

    Conflict between grabby Apple software and Roxio CD burning software.
    Recovered CD drive functionality with system restore, but iTunes no
    longer functional -- must reinstall.

    Lem wrote:
    > Running Win XP Pro SP2.
    > I recently upgraded to the latest version of iTunes for Windows (v 4.9)
    > and iTunes seems to have hijacked one of my CD drives (its actually a
    > DVD-R drive). If I put an audio CD in it, iTunes sees and can play the
    > disk. But I can't access either data or audio disks with non-iTunes
    > apps, e.g., Windows Explorer. If I try to access the drive from
    > Explorer, I get the message "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect
    > function." I get the same "incorrect funtion" error if I try to access
    > D: from a Command Prompt.
    >
    > As I recall, when I was doing the iTunes update, there was a message to
    > install it a second time because it needed to "update" registry entries
    > relating to the CD drives. Apparently, iTunes changed some registry
    > entry so that my D: drive is no longer accessible to anything else. Any
    > suggestions on how to reset this?

iTunes Windows XP