  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
July 9, 2004 5:16:12 PM

Hi there, I just started using the Microsoft USB 2.0 MN-
710 (802.11/G) for my computer downstairs

it uses the signal from my computer upstairs which uses a
DSL modem..

my question is I leave this computer idle most of the
day, connected only to MSN Messenger then when I look at
the network stats it says I've downloaded appox. 180 MB
during the day when this computer was not in use.

could it be a hacking attempt? or is this normal because
it's running and getting info off of the main signal?

thanks,
DJ

More about : network stats

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 6:34:11 PM

It's a program downloading or uploading something. While
operating, only minor NetBIOS data is exchanged. Messenger
data is also not that much in general.

Do you have automatic updates for Windows (or some other
software, e.g. anti-virus) enabled? That could explain the
download.

Otherwise check for virus on the computer.

July 9, 2004 7:24:52 PM

It could be Windows downloading updates, if you are using WPA it could
be security communications, or it could be spyware. For the last option
install both Ad-aware & Spybot Search & Destroy.

!