How good are factory re-certified drives?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
So one of my 6Y120PO drives decided it was time to play silly buggers and developed some kind of error. Every time I tried to access one or two particular files in the RAID0 array it was part of it would crash the array and I'd have to reboot before I could access anything on the array again. Managed to retrieve some downloaded stuff off it before running powermax. Seems to have some error in the boot sector or something. Diagnostic code DE9BCF7D whatever that means. Anyway, luckily it was one month before the 1 year warranty runs out so I'm getting an advanced replacement from Maxtor but they send out a "factory re-certified drive". Anyone know what these are? I guess not a new drive, are they warranty returned drives that they've repaired? I get an additional 90 days warranty - whoo hoo! I'm guessing I'll be fortunate if the replacement lasts as long as the original drive. I had to rebuild the array already so I got a couple of WD120JBs for $60 ea. from Best Buy. I guess I'll just use the maxtors at home in my gaming rig and hope for the best.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

RichPLS

Champion
They can be better than new, or the can have other defects overlooked.
What warranty is givin?

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

RichPLS

Champion
For the most part, as good as a new drive, maybe better, since at least these were tested.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!