Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 8, 2012 4:46:31 AM

my setup

i5-2300
nvidia gtx 550 ti
6 gigs ram
600 w ocz modular psu

recently reformatted and already experiencing drastic slowdown as soon as windows comes up, including repeated lockups with multiple various programs reporting that they are not responsive, then recovering after 10-30 seconds. ive checked memory and hard drive both of which come out fine. despite my plethura of worthless antiviral software im forced to assume that my illicit downloading practices have lead me into some comp trouble that i cant seem to determine. i have used ccleaner, search and destroy and malware bytes, all of which have found nothing to indicate what is causing this massive slowdown. in addition according to my resource manager my computer is operating at a load of only 30-50 percent CPU useage and 60 ram useage but taking 5-10 seconds to load files and open folders, and repeated lockups of multiple programs, especially firefox which seems to go unresponsive every 2-3 minutes. any help would be appreciated, i used a program called OTL by old timer, but cant make any sense of the results i was given. any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2012 5:02:20 AM

check to see if your HDD is full, that can cause all sorts of issues.

CCleaner is not antivirus
search and destory does not catch everything
malwarebytes is antimalware, not antivirus

try installing a different antivirus like MSE, avast, or some other antivirus

Studdering typically occurs when you are experiencing a HDD failure. This gets really annoying with SSDs as they can have all sorts of issues that are not picked up with normal HDD tests. I would slap in another HDD, throw linux on it, and see if you keep having the same or similar issues.
m
l
September 8, 2012 6:40:59 PM

i have avast but it didnt even find anything when i had it do a full system scan, so im thinking its clueless(also nortons, avg, and ad-aware). i also have mse but it has yet to complete a full scan it takes so long (i left it on last night but when i woke up my computer had a problem and had to restart). my hard drive has 300 gigs out of 1tb open and i already used hd tune pro, which said my harddrive was fine and its not a ssd. also im a noob at comps and only have the hd that is currently inside the computer

also im not computer savy enough to use linux lol

btw thats a beastly computer u have lol
m
l
September 8, 2012 6:46:05 PM

in addition im not sure if studdering is the issue im suffering. my problem is that during my typing of these responses firefox has gone "not responsive" at least 5 times, each for times of about 5-10 seconds. when i try to control alt delete to bring up windows task manager it took 20 seconds. essentially its that my computer goes super slow at bringing up anything, or taking any action whatsoever that opens a program or file and has repeated incidents where i cant even click on whatever im trying to do because it locks up. the confusing thing about these incidents is that its right after restarting where there are minimal programs running and the computer and memory load is light.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:30:21 PM

When Windows 7 is first installed, it will do a lot of indexing and moving files around to try to optimize itself for your system. During this time it will eat a lot of CPU cycles and hit the disk a lot, slowing down everything else. Your computer showing 30%-50% CPU is a pretty good indication that Windows is still in this stage.

Just leave the computer on for a few hours or overnight. See if that takes care of the problem.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:38:33 PM

@ reb0014 ROFL, beastly computer

Anyway, run Seagate Seatools after a few hours (indexing shouldn't whack your performance that much) but still, run a short test. If it passes, run Process Explorer and post a screenshot on postimage along with a screenshot of Autoruns' startup tab. Finally run Hijack This and post that too. Run all as admin.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:01:18 PM

reb0014 said:
my setup

i5-2300
nvidia gtx 550 ti
6 gigs ram
600 w ocz modular psu

recently reformatted and already experiencing drastic slowdown as soon as windows comes up, including repeated lockups with multiple various programs reporting that they are not responsive, then recovering after 10-30 seconds. ive checked memory and hard drive both of which come out fine. despite my plethura of worthless antiviral software im forced to assume that my illicit downloading practices have lead me into some comp trouble that i cant seem to determine. i have used ccleaner, search and destroy and malware bytes, all of which have found nothing to indicate what is causing this massive slowdown. in addition according to my resource manager my computer is operating at a load of only 30-50 percent CPU useage and 60 ram useage but taking 5-10 seconds to load files and open folders, and repeated lockups of multiple programs, especially firefox which seems to go unresponsive every 2-3 minutes. any help would be appreciated, i used a program called OTL by old timer, but cant make any sense of the results i was given. any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this

Quote:
despite my plethura of worthless antiviral software im forced to assume that my illicit downloading practices have lead me into some comp trouble

Quote:
despite my plethura of worthless antiviral software im forced to assume]

Quote:
despite my plethura of worthless antiviral software

Quote:
despite my plethura

Quote:
plethura

I really hope you are not running more than one antivirus program. They do not play well with each other and is probably your problem
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:29:24 PM

I think there are forums to post OTL results and someone can make more sense of them and give you some items to run. If you've recently formatted and started again, I wouldn't necessarily assume this is spyware. And like the above posted mentioned, do not run more than one of those antivirus/antimalware programs at the same time because they can cause slowdowns.

Maybe you could try running chkdsk and see if there are any errors? I'd also take a good listen to the hard drive for any clicking.

Also run a memory test because problems with RAM can cause all sorts of random issues. And are there any warnings or errors in your event logs?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2012 12:12:54 AM

Solandri said:
When Windows 7 is first installed, it will do a lot of indexing and moving files around to try to optimize itself for your system. During this time it will eat a lot of CPU cycles and hit the disk a lot, slowing down everything else. Your computer showing 30%-50% CPU is a pretty good indication that Windows is still in this stage.

Just leave the computer on for a few hours or overnight. See if that takes care of the problem.

During a fresh install Win7 (and win8 to a much greater extent) does a lot of background work, but not to the point where it makes things unresponsive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2012 12:28:36 AM

when programs become unresponsive it is because a resource cannot be found. In your case I am almost certain that it is your HDD causing issues, and will likely need to be replaced. HDTune is a good benchmark suite, but not the best thing to check for errors, run checkdisk which is built into windows, also you can check the administration logs to check for errors (things like time-outs that you are experiencing should show up pretty well on there). Sadly I am on win8 at the moment, and I am not familiar enough with the win7 admin tools to give a proper walk-through from memory. Perhaps someone else can help on that front?

Also, as the others have said; have only 1 antivirus installed on a system at a time. Antivirus programs are known for fighting for the same system resources, and they all do periodic background checks, which if more than one is doing a background check at the same time can really bring your computer to it's knees. Personally I like to run MSE because it is sufficient, free, very lightweight, and stays out of my way. I then supplement with scans of Malwarebytes Free Edition every 2-3 weeks, or if I think I have caught something (lol like a few weeks ago when I accidently installed babalyon toolbar, which then synced via Chrome to all 5 computers I use on a regular basis... what a pain!).

Thanks for the compliment on my PC :D  I just rebuilt it last Nov so that I could pick up video editing again, and I have been very happy with it so far. The next step will be to move up to win8 Pro when it comes out (running RTM right now), then up to 32GB of DDR3 1600, and then redo my ageing HDDs (I have a 1TB drive that is ~5 years old! scary!) with 4 2 or 3TB drives in RAID5, and then lastly (just for kicks) SLi a 2nd GTX570 (though this is a low priority as I am not a huge gamer... just a hardware junkie). When you spread out the upgrades over time and pay as you go it is not so painful to own a nice PC. The painful part was upgrading the mobo, cpu, and ram all at once. After that was the GPU and PSU which hurt a little, but the rest has been pretty easy. A much cheaper hobby than cars :D 
m
l
!