JackM

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004
I have two WD Raptors 36GB in raid 0 using onboard sII controller. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP. I added a WD 7200 RPM EIDE drive into the EIDE 2 port as a slave. When I try to boot up, the computer wants to use the new HD and can't load an OS, obviously because I don't have one installed on it. I only want to use this HD for data. When I take out the new HD, it boots up fine. This is my first experience with raid and any advice is most welcome.

Also, the reason I'm adding the new HD is because my external Maxtor crapped out. It makes a loud noise when powered up. My gut feeling is that I'm SOL, but if anyone might know of a way to save the data, I'd be most thankful. I did back up the data except for two weeks prior to the crapout. For the hell of it, I tried putting in the new WD in the Maxtor case but it did not work. Anyone know of a way around this?

JackM

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004
I figured out the first part of my question. I simply had to change the boot sequence to SCSI first before any of the other HDD options. I didn't think this applied since the Raid set was for SATA controller and not SCSI. Not sure of the technical reasons, but it worked.

If anyone still might be able to answer the second part of my help request, I'd be most grateful.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The technical reason? SCSI doesn't mean SCSI, it means any drive controller with boot BIOS. Motherboard BIOS doesn't differentiate between SCSI cards, IDE cards, or SATA cards, it just allows any drive controller with boot BIOS to boot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>