Jim

How do I access the C prompt to format a crashed HD with windows XP home SP2
when even safe mode doesn't respond?

Move the hard drive into another PC, and format from there, or boot off the
WinXP installation CD rom, and use the recovery console.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I access the C prompt to format a crashed HD with windows XP home
> SP2
> when even safe mode doesn't respond?

If the drive you wish to format is your boot drive then you cannot
format that drive from the C:\ prompt, you will have to boot your
computer from the XP CD, you should try to do a repair install first.

If the drive you wish to format is NOT your boot drive then you can
format that through My Computer.

More details would be usefull.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Is the hard drive you are trying to format the one that windows is on or a
second hard drive. If it is a second hard drive you don't need to go to C:\
all you to do is open my computer and right click on the HDD you want to
format and select format.

"Jim" wrote:

> How do I access the C prompt to format a crashed HD with windows XP home SP2
> when even safe mode doesn't respond?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F2CFE96E-C93F-40C3-A86F-B5626843AAFF@microsoft.com,
Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> How do I access the C prompt to format a crashed HD with windows XP
> home SP2 when even safe mode doesn't respond?

Insert the CD. Boot. Format is an option during the installation.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Trying a repair install was mentioned. I also noticed that you say you have
SP 2 installed. DO NOT try a repair install on this system unless service
pack 2 is included on the disk you use to do the repair install, unless you
uninstall SP2 first! If you try the repair install without first
uninstalling SP2, you'll very likely end up in a boot loop, and have more
problems to deal with. If your XP disk says 'Includes service pack 2" then
it's all good, and you dont have to worry about uninstalling it.

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I access the C prompt to format a crashed HD with windows XP home
> SP2
> when even safe mode doesn't respond?

A Repair Install can be done using a CD that doesn't contain the service
pack that is currently installed. For example if you've upgraded to SP2 you
can use an original version of XP to do a Repair Install. What will happen
though is that you will lose the current Service Pack and will need to
reinstall it again. I've used this approach many times.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp