Hard drive failure? Or just me being stupid?

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I have a Western Digital 8.5GB Caviar drive that just mystieorusly stopped working for some reason. Well, I didnt really have time to mess with it a few months back, so it sat there waiting to be messed with. So the time has come.
I installed it on my brand new motherboard (and IDE Cables) and It took forever to post on the bios, but fianlly did. After it did that, I got an error message saying NTLDR Missing alt+ctrl+del to restart. And again, took forever for it to post. I'm trying to make it work in conjuntion with another, but I didnt bother to set any pins for it. I thought maybe that was why it was taking so long for it to post. So I pinned it as a slave drive, and my other one as the master. The Bios wouldnt even tell me it was there as a slave. So I thought maybe I had it in the wrong spot for a slave drive. So I looked and I did. Still wouldnt post. (I also tried the jumper turned both ways. Not upside down, but side ways.) Anyhow, it still didnt post. Seems the only way it posts is if I leave both the drives without pins.
Back to my ntldr part. How do I fix it? I also tried the Western Digital Data Lifeguard thing, and It wouldnt patrtion the drive because Head 1 had something wrong with it (May not have been that paticular head.) And wouldnt go any further. Windows 98 Startup Disk also didnt recongize it as a real drive, even though it was there, and thefore fefused to format and partition.

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I'm sure someone is gonna hate me for this, but I just gave up and tossed all 3 drives. They're bad. My dad looked at it and said that the first drive was just gone, then for some reason my 2nd drive (That was orignaly working great until he looked at it :wink: ) decided it wanted to make noises like it was parking and un parking (Like when you turn it off and on) so he said that one just went bad (Bios also wouldnt recongize it unitl like 15 minutes of sitting there, then we just got a blank screen which I guess means dead), and then the third drive, the one I was trying to get working (Orignally his) also came up with the same results. All Western Digtal Drivrs failed. We put in some strange Quantum Fireball drive in there, and it works great. Its bigger than my two oringal drive.

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want a BIG drive from the same erra, get a BigFoot from Quantum.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>