Deleting Temp Files

I am trying to delete the temp files under this path name (c:\windows\temp)
in XP Home but when I try to delete them I am told something is using them.
The file names are CS****.tmp where the **** is a hex number. Any help
apppreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about deleting temp files

    Try it is safe mode, John.

    Start/Run: temp

    Go to Start/Run/Msconfig. Boot.Ini and check off /SafeBoot. Apply/Ok,
    reboot.
    Note: Before leaving safe mode, revert.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    >I am trying to delete the temp files under this path name (c:\windows\temp)
    > in XP Home but when I try to delete them I am told something is using
    > them.
    > The file names are CS****.tmp where the **** is a hex number. Any help
    > apppreciated.

    Have you tried in safe mode? Why don't you use Disc Cleanup tool?

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    John wrote:

    > I am trying to delete the temp files under this path name (c:\windows\temp)
    > in XP Home but when I try to delete them I am told something is using them.
    > The file names are CS****.tmp where the **** is a hex number. Any help
    > apppreciated.

    Tried both options . Files still there. When I go after starting in safe mode
    the files aren't there but when start normally they are there. So I can't
    find what program is creating them.

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Have you tried in safe mode? Why don't you use Disc Cleanup tool?
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > John wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to delete the temp files under this path name (c:\windows\temp)
    > > in XP Home but when I try to delete them I am told something is using them.
    > > The file names are CS****.tmp where the **** is a hex number. Any help
    > > apppreciated.

Microsoft Windows XP