Multiple Channel DVR

agarbino

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
I'm trying to put together a telemetry video system on a race car. It will consist of 2-4 video cameras. Because of the environment, I need light and cheap components. I'm considering the following:

1) USB2 Webcams, into a USB hub.

2) Fire-i cameras, as they can be daisy chained into a firewire port. (Does anyone know of limitations/performance of multiple cameras on one port?

3) Several 'spy'/'pinhole' cameras, with analog inputs going into a multi channel pci card; eg: http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProducts/Detail?ExhibitID=14956

Whichever method I use, the input will have to be handled by a small processor (eg M10000 Mini-ITX).

Does anyone know of any formus/howtos/sites where people have done this and reviewd different cameras?

Regards,
Alex

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Webcams are kind of sucky, I'd consider some X10 cams. X10 has a lot of products, I think they even have a device to combine 4 cams into 4 panels on a single signal. You could use a video input card on the miniITX platform, or just mount a mini VCR in the car.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd probably make it easy on the system by using a 1 channel card and a 4 channel to 1 channel adapter, one of those little boxes that puts 4 pictures on 1 display.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>