Sign in with
Your question

Ram / Impact

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
October 4, 2004 5:19:00 PM

Whats up everyone, my first time here in the memory forum, just have a few questions.

I was at the computer store the other day and I heard some guy telling a few kids who wanted ram that windows only supported 1 gig of ram that 2 gigs would be a waste... Im assuming thats bs because lots of home pc's and server applications have well over 1 gig. Is this a common myth?? Was a older version of windows capped at 1 gig?

And my second question would be, how ram intensive is 3dmark05, would a second gig of ram increase the score by a large margin???

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

More about : ram impact

October 4, 2004 10:58:01 PM

You can put more than 1 gig of RAM in your system, it is very much possible, most common motherboards support 3-4 gigs of RAM. However in many situations 1 gig of RAM is more than most users will ever use (At least with most current software).

Having 2 gig vs. 1 gig, basically isn't going to help you much (if any) at all with 3DMark05, or 3DMark03 for that matter.

Watch your RAM useage, and unless you are doing a bunch of video editing, or encoding, I think you will find out that you aren't using the 1 gig of RAM you have.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html&lt;/A>
a b } Memory
October 5, 2004 3:30:47 AM

Some review sites have found lower performance going with 2GB RAM rather than 1GB. 3GB is worse still and 4GB is intolerable. That assumes that you aren't using applications which actually NEED 2GB of course. Tom's explained the phenomena but I don't remember the explaination. Supposedly 64-bit processors aren't affected at these levels.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
October 6, 2004 2:52:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I do alot of home recording etc and you can never have enough ram for that, espically for the memory intensive virtual music stations.

I just asked about the gamming / performance end because it would be frosting on the cake :) 

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
October 7, 2004 2:12:04 AM

This is a half-myth. It is related to a (patchable) issue in Win98 where it would not utilize system memory past 1gig.
a b } Memory
October 7, 2004 10:22:27 PM

No, the article was done in XP, it has something to do with how the memory is addressed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!