Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade the HD of a P3 733 into a 120 GB HD?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • HD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2004 4:04:04 AM

I own an ancient Compaq Deskpro P3 733 with a 10 GB HD and according to the specs of a site the computer has a
"Host Bus Adapter: Intel Integrated ICH 82801AA Ultra ATA/66" I am not exaclty sure what this means, but I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if an upgrade into a Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive that has an IDE ULTRA ATA100 interface is posible...if it is not, any suggestions on upgrading to any hard drive that is not below 80GB?

Thank you very much...

More about : upgrade 733 120

October 5, 2004 5:36:15 AM

if the BIOS is ok with it, it should be fine, if not, get an ATA133 controller card wich will "fix" BIOS.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
October 5, 2004 11:00:44 AM

In English that means you can buy the new hard drive but you might need to attach it to a PCI controller card. That means you'll need an open PCI card slot on the motherboard. Those are white and about 4 inches long or so.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
Related resources
October 5, 2004 3:39:17 PM

Thanx for clarifying, next time I'll contact you for "readproof" before posting ;) 

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
October 6, 2004 4:46:03 AM

Any board that old will probably need a BIOS upgrade to support drives larger than 80GB. Of course you could add a PCI IDE controller card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 6, 2004 8:05:00 AM

:) 

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
!