MS bought claria,a spyware maker...Do you trust MS antispy..

Probably we all have heard about the new, awesome, fantastic (e.c.t.)
microsoft antispyware.

Before a few months, MS bought the Giant company and made its own
antispyware, in order to protect the poor Windows users from getting infected
from spyware. With micro$osft antispyware being distibuted for free, there
wiil not be any spyware infected PCs anymore. Right?

However, if we take a closer look, we ll see that the situation is a little
bit more complex.

Micro$osft has also bought the claria company (
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+said+to+be+in+talks+to+buy+Claria/2100-1030_3-5769583.html?tag=nefd.top ) a well known developer of spyware.

So how MS antispyware will detect and quarantine claria spyware, if both
belongs to Micro$oft? It simpy wont!!

http://www.log.gr/assets/msas-claria-2-b.jpg

As we see for the screenshot, MS antispyware detects the claria spyware, but
it is all marked as "ignored" and they dont get in quarantine! So the
claria spyware has a new friend know, the micro$oft antispyware!

And, if we take a more closer look, we could say that it basically a plan of
MS to infect all Windows systems with spyware. While the user wiil feel safe,
the microsoft spyware will be spying him...

The comments are yours...

God bless Ad-aware SE of Lavasoft!!

kurkosdr
from greece

More info:

http://netrn.net/spywareblog/archives/2005/07/01/microsoft-antispyware-ignores-claria/

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

While I am as prepared as the next person to be a raging paranoid, this
statement really does seem to be more than a bit off-the-walls. Would you
share the basis for this conclusion??

> And, if we take a more closer look, we could say that it basically a plan of
> MS to infect all Windows systems with spyware. While the user wiil feel safe,
> the microsoft spyware will be spying him.

The solution to the whole thing is quite straightforward: if you no longer
trust Microsoft products, don't use them. Duh!! There are alternative
operating systems and alternative spyware programs out there, many of which
are excellent.

Although the definition of spyware is fairly clear cut, deciding which
programs are spyware is not as easy. Routine scans of freshly installed
operating systems will show spyware - such as the Alexa component found in
Internet Explorer. The first question is...Is this a false positive? And
the next is...Is it really spyware?

Some things that program designers do, to aid the user, can ve construed as
spyware, such as phoning home. But, it's the intent that spyware scanners
must determine - and that's not such an easy task.

From: "kurkosdr" <kurkosdr@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Probably we all have heard about the new, awesome, fantastic (e.c.t.)
| microsoft antispyware.
|
| Before a few months, MS bought the Giant company and made its own
| antispyware, in order to protect the poor Windows users from getting infected
| from spyware. With micro$osft antispyware being distibuted for free, there
| wiil not be any spyware infected PCs anymore. Right?
|
| However, if we take a closer look, we ll see that the situation is a little
| bit more complex.
|
| Micro$osft has also bought the claria company (

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+said+to+be+in+talks+to+buy+Claria/2100-1030_3-5769583.html?tag=nefd.top )
a well known developer of spyware.

| So how MS antispyware will detect and quarantine claria spyware, if both
| belongs to Micro$oft? It simpy wont!!
|
| http://www.log.gr/assets/msas-claria-2-b.jpg
|
| As we see for the screenshot, MS antispyware detects the claria spyware, but
| it is all marked as "ignored" and they dont get in quarantine! So the
| claria spyware has a new friend know, the micro$oft antispyware!
|
| And, if we take a more closer look, we could say that it basically a plan of
| MS to infect all Windows systems with spyware. While the user wiil feel safe,
| the microsoft spyware will be spying him...
|
| The comments are yours...
|
| God bless Ad-aware SE of Lavasoft!!
|
| kurkosdr
| from greece

Reread that !

That haven't "bought" (past tense) that are in the process of thinking over the acquisition
(future tense). It is NOT a done deal.

It is also makes for a good argument not to use MS Anti Spyware software as it will surely
not recognize the software that the Claria acquisition may produce.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

bill

Umm don't you think it would be easer to just install spyware in a update
file?

>> And, if we take a more closer look, we could say that it basically a plan
>> of
>> MS to infect all Windows systems with spyware. While the user wiil feel
>> safe,
>> the microsoft spyware will be spying him.

Ed

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:36:03 -0500, Greg Ro <webworm11@lycos.com>
wrote:

>I would be suspicious of any company that buys spyware product and
>reduce it detection level.

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone that would stoop that low, be
that dishonorable, I just wonder what other dishonorable things they
have planned and/or have already done. Maybe there should be a Senate
investigation into this company's questionable business practices...
Whoops, forgot, they already have.....

Ed

kurkosdr wrote:
> Probably we all have heard about the new, awesome, fantastic (e.c.t.)
> microsoft antispyware.
>
> Before a few months, MS bought the Giant company and made its own
> antispyware, in order to protect the poor Windows users from getting
> infected
> from spyware. With micro$osft antispyware being distibuted for free,
> there
> wiil not be any spyware infected PCs anymore. Right?
>
> However, if we take a closer look, we ll see that the situation is a
> little
> bit more complex.
>
> Micro$osft has also bought the claria company (
> http://news.com.com/Microsoft+said+to+be+in+talks+to+buy+Claria/2100-1030_3-5769583.html?tag=nefd.top
> ) a well known developer of spyware.
>
> So how MS antispyware will detect and quarantine claria spyware, if
> both
> belongs to Micro$oft? It simpy wont!!
>
> http://www.log.gr/assets/msas-claria-2-b.jpg
>
> As we see for the screenshot, MS antispyware detects the claria
> spyware, but
> it is all marked as "ignored" and they dont get in quarantine! So
> the
> claria spyware has a new friend know, the micro$oft antispyware!
>
> And, if we take a more closer look, we could say that it basically a
> plan of
> MS to infect all Windows systems with spyware. While the user wiil
> feel safe,
> the microsoft spyware will be spying him...
>
> The comments are yours...
>
> God bless Ad-aware SE of Lavasoft!!
>
> kurkosdr
> from greece

MS has issued a response to MSAS Claria questions.

http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000055.php

--
Peace!
Kurt

Ed

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:48:42 -0400, "kurttrail"
<dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>MS has issued a response to MSAS Claria questions.
>
>http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000055.php

And they still leave the default detection of Claria set as "Ignore"
so their response is nothing but Talk. Honor, Integrity... gone.

Ed

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:22:44 -0400, Ed <fake@fake.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:48:42 -0400, "kurttrail"
><dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>MS has issued a response to MSAS Claria questions.
>>
>>http://www.kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000055.php
>
>And they still leave the default detection of Claria set as "Ignore"
>so their response is nothing but Talk. Honor, Integrity... gone.
>
>Ed

I have removed their product.

Greg Ro

It does not meet the definition of real spywear. They are sleazy, that is for sure - but are technically not spywear. There are probably millions of morons that want those programs. They also sue people and the courts back them up.

Google products are similar in operation but most don't object. Google of course aren't sleazy.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:34:13 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>It does not meet the definition of real spywear. They are sleazy, that is for sure - but are technically not spywear. There are probably millions of morons that want those programs. They also sue people and the courts back them up.
>
>Google products are similar in operation but most don't object. Google of course aren't sleazy.

Google is honest about it. That all. If you use firefox they could
not track you-if you have that toolbar extension.

They can still track you somewhat by cookies-a lot of web sites do
that as well

Greg Ro