Ultrabook vs. Tablet + Desktop

escobar1

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a mobile solution for several purposes and at the same time, I really really want to replace my desktop.

For some reason, I'm really indecisive about what kind of machines I should get, a tablet / hybrid and a new desktop or simply an ultrabook. There's lots I don't know about mobile devices and I completely missed the smartphone / tablet "revolution" of the last couple of years. I also never owned a notebook, so I'm not sure about the comfort of one.

Mobile applications:

- reading, listening to music and watching stuff in public transportation, mainly busses, 90 minutes each day
- taking notes in class
- reading PDFs and listening to mp3s for guitar lessons
- displaying sheet music (.pdf files) on the note-stand of my piano
- watching Starcraft streams via Twitch.tv and gomtv player

Stationary applications:

- light gaming, mainly Starcraft II and maybe some of the more recent games (would love to play the upcoming Bioshock!)
- tons of research and office-applications for class
- watching movies on 2nd monitor
- music recording, editing and digital effects / drum

Especially regarding the office-applications and notes for class, I'd LOVE some sort of automatic synchronization.

I have a massive digital library of mainly Mp3s and if I understood it correctly, Apple-devices can only play videos and music you bought on itunes, so the iPad is out of the question. I've had the Surface for about a week now, and I love the hardware and general design, but the software leaves me wanting in a million instances, so I'll prolly return that to Microsoft. The Ultrabook-solution wouldn't work on the Note-stand I assume, but would cover most of the stuff I want. Convertibles would work even better, but would preclude me from any gaming.

I'd really appreciate any and all imput on which solution might be better for my purposes.

Thanks guys,

c.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Maybe something like the Lenovo Yoga 13" with an i7? I see people are able to play SC2, Dota 2 etc. on lower settings with their macbook air's and that line of processors.